Why do you think men are so much more violent?

and what do you think needs to happen to change this?

if you look at literally any kind of violent crime stats anywhere on the planet, men dominate the stats, for example homocide stats for the USA between 1976 - 2004:

Male offender/Male victim 65.2%

Male offender/Female victim 22.6%

Female offender/Male victim 9.7%

Female offender/Female victim 2.4%

overall: male offenders 88.5% female offenders 11.5%

THIS IS NOT AN ANTI MEN RANT I mean look at the stats, most victims of male violence, are men themselves. I'm just curious about opinions because it seems like no one ever talks about this, everyone makes a very big deal about the ratio of blacks in prison, or any disproportionately represented minority in anything,and if it was the other way around (more women offenders) I am certain it would be all over the news.

so most people are saying "genetics" or "testosterone", which no doubt is part of the story, men are wired differently, for sure, but to say it's ALL down to genetics lets guys off the hook too easily for their actions and at the same time is pretty insulting to men as a gender to imply they are all inherently and unalterably predisposed to be violent murdering bastards.

Most Helpful Guy

• Education, an idea of 'masculinity present in our society.

Men must be strong, aggressiveness, competition is considered a positive element for boys, much less so for girls: look at the sports: link

link That's aggressiveness. Soccer isn't much better. A guy has to be strong, to WIN.

Girls will admire muscles: it reminds them of their strong dad when they were little girls

And for a number of guys, physical expression and physical aggression may replace oral expression. Aggressiveness, because they're not witty, slow reacting in a discussion. A confession of intellectual incapacity to react in another way.

A girl learns in pre school age that she isn't strong enough to take on the others and will develop other ways of defense and aggression .

• i agree, any form of overt aggression or violence from a girl is considered extremely ugly and universally looked down on by society (as it should be)...where as with men there's mixed messages, the law says don't hit, don't kill, but to be considered manly and therefore most desirable all the old stereotypes still hold true, that encourage aggression etc like you say about soccer and sport.

What Guys Said 7

• I think it's genetic to an extent, too much male hormones and not enough intelligence...

• I can tell you that from playing violent sports that I can understand why men are violent. I want to make my opponent feel defeated, I want him to be injured, to be depressed. I have a craving to crush his dreams and make him never want to face me again. Then at other times I am relaxed and supportive. It is addicting though, to keep wining and keep pushing someone's face in the dirt and pushing them down again when they try to get back up. It's fun to watch someone struggle to stay breathing when you have them in a choke hold.

However, I could just be hormones, since I feel like I could kill someone in the mornings or make them suffer but want to be everyone's friend later on in the day. I guess it depends on your mindset.

• Women obviously need to step up their game.

• you women argue that men are hunters, so it's kinda hypocritical of you to be asking this question

• That's because we can.

Yes, men have power and they feel like they can get the attention when they project their masculinity through being violent.

• Maybe because women aren't as physically able to do it as well so they don't trust themselves in dangerous situations. . I really have no idea but that's a guess

• Come at me Bro!

What Girls Said 5

• bc they choose to not control their emotions . not because they are 'protectors. females animals are not daisies trapsing through the forest. they can be heavily violent / aggressive when called into action.especially in order to protect their young in the wild. they tear any offender apart. yet women are perfectly capable of not acting on violent impulses within civil society. not because we cant. we choose not to.

everyone feels like beating the sh*t out of someone once in a while. you dnt do it. you go for a run or find a safe -for other people- outlet for your aggression. senseless aggression is disrespectful lazy moronic and dangerous. that's why people go to hail for violent acts. because its NOT acceptable. regardless of what your gorilla ancestors did to get he girl.

youre right. if women were doing this it'd be all over the plc.' psycho bitches at it again.

everyone has hormones. its not a reason let alone an excuse. crimes are illegal because we are expected to use our reason against our violent impulses.

the answers on here trying to justify violence because of a hormone- when everyone unless mentally ill, has the ability has to make rational decisions- are learning disabled imo.

• they do it out of a lack of respect. as to why they feel entitled, I don't know no one here has actually addressed that question. too busy coming up with stories to vindicate the behavior. so they can't question why the hell they allow it within themselves.

self control is a word worth contemplating..

• good answer! you make some really good points, everyone is saying "genetics" without delving any deeper.

• Good answer!

• It is biology. Men were typically the protectors and providers, they needed yo be more violent than women. And I don't mean in a negative way, but overall women are more likley to flee and men more likley to fight. Women are conflict averse, men are not.

In the animal kingdom, you will often see the males of a species killing children that weren't theirs and it's believed that one point that was common in humans too. They also spend a significant amount of time fighting and killing each other, to get more (or any) women. Those that didn't, couldn't pass on their genes.Just that modern society doesn't seem that as acceptable, rightfully so, but is also doesn't really really give men any other way to actually live up to that, which can cause problems

Testosterone is primarily responsible for muscle growth,sex drive and aggression. It also effect adrenaline, which can cause anger.Too much testosterone cause more violent behavior .

you are not completely correct about them fighting a significant amount of time killing each other, its rare that animals of the same species kill each other!!! , they do fight and confront sometimes. but its humans who mostly kill each other.

• Men have more testosterone. The hormone that increases aggression and basically everything that is considered male. That and females are just sneakier and less likely to be caught :)

• Testosterone, of course. Men are generally more primal in their physicalities. That's why we love them :-)

• *sigh* read the update.

• It doesn't excuse some men's criminal behavior, no one claimed that it does. It's an answer, not an excuse.

*sigh* ? Haha!

• testosterone, I think