Why is it that magazines display unhealthy people on magazines?

Why are the unhealthy ones considered 'hot'? I notice that it's either the really skinny ones or the plus size ones. I never see someone who looks 'average'. Now I don't hate the girls in magazines, and I think it's a great start to start displaying plus size models too, but what I don't get is why they never put a model who's average looking?

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. Magazines and ads are selling a fantasy, not reality. The "average" doesn't motivate people to buy magazines or products from ads, only the out-of-the-ordinary does that. When have you ever read an ad that promises you an AVERAGE experience with a product?

2. The fashion industry is ran by women and gay men. The tastes of straight men aren't taken into consideration nearly as much as they'd like you to believe, and women often have a distorted view of themselves.

Actress Amanda Seyfried was recently talking about how she was "motivated" to lose 10 pounds when she started getting movie roles in Hollywood, and as a result, she lost her big boobs, and she knows she doesn't look as good as she did when she was 10 pounds heavier. Her face is much more hollow too. But Hollywood takes its cues from the fashion industry, and so they push for tiny, stick-thin people (men too, in many cases), even though many of us would rather see a few more pounds on these people.

I remember when Jennifer Aniston lost about 10 pounds post-Friends, and I thought she looked AWFUL, and the morons on TV (Hollywood women, specifically) kept going on and on about how great she looked "without the extra weight". I came close to throwing a shoe through my TV that day.

Think about this: Almost no Playboy Playmate could be a fashion model; they'd be considered "too short and too big". But men buy Playboy, and women by fashion magazines. So the real question is: why do women support these magazines that don't show real women?

• Yea, I think I saw the interview about Amanda Seyfried. So wait, does that mean guys aren't attracted to the women in magazines? Cos you said the tastes of straight men aren't taken into consideration. Yea, I to think that it's in facy an illusion. I think it would be great if they showed models of all size and shapes! That way we'd know which product or outfit sells well with which body.

• Men find those women somewhat attractive, but I think, on average, we'd find slightly bigger, curvier girls more attractive. 100 of the same stick-thin women gets old really quick for us. We like to see some variation.

What Guys Said 7

• They try to SELL magazines, and people want either the unrealistically thin girls, who look the best in most designer clothes, or, more recently, the plus sized girls who are dying to look glamorous, and will snap up these magazines ifr they show big girls looking blamorous.

There's not much of a market for the average girl, who isn't desperate to look like anyone else so much...she's [pretty happy just being herself!

• they want to sell. and not only magazines that do that but TV, movies and commercials.

I hate that. they bring Andrew Garfield in spider man as a teenage boy when he's 23 and make us look bad and feel bad.

anyway www .mybodygallery. com that link is to a gallery where you can see how people really look like. it's not nude btw

• Because most people don't want to look at a model that's average looking.

Here is what I don't understand: Only 20-30 years ago, people were more in shape and weighed less. Now with the growing obesity epidemic, the average or "normal" person is way bigger than before.

In a way, the people displayed on magazines are average, by older standards. Now, I have no problem with a full figured girl. I actually prefer a woman with meat on her bones and lots of curves.

• hm, yea that is pretty interesting. Society though makes me feel that girls who are skinny yet healthy aren't accepted either. Like I accept people who look healthy, but not those who don't take care of themselves. I myself am very healthy, yet I can't ever seem to get bigger. Seeing girls my age bigger makes me feel like I'm not normal, even though media potrays 'skinny' or anoraxic as normal. I'm not anoraxic or anything, but I've always been tiny.

• So you are thin and don't feel accepted? Don't let your body shape define you. If you are OK with how you are, that's what counts.

• muhlla

• Because average is boring. Magazines go for wow and/or shock factor, not for the social norm.

• Average is boring. Advertising is anti-boring. This is why.

• but average is 'us'. If magazines try to sell stuff, they should try to at least show that normal people are also beautiful. Being unhealthy may seem appealing yet unattractive if you actually look at what models go through to seem 'skinny'.

• You and most people. Why the urge to keep up with the trends is present I don't quite understand myself; there is reasoning but I don't know it well enough to explain it to anyone. A lot of people feel the way you do but also feel the requirement of changing how they feel as though it were wrong and contrary to social norms. Maybe it is I guess? Presentation means a lot for quite a few.

• I must go now. Be well.

• That's to increase the chances of people who aren't good looking to buy their magazines.

What Girls Said 3

• plus sized models are basically average sized people. imo.

• Its just part of our culture.We celebrate mediocrity,vanity (whether healthy or not),fame and fortune,and greed.

• I see healthy people on magazines all the time.