Would you know if a guy likes you from the way he looks at you?

Background:

Ok so I like this girl that works at the gym I go to. The problem is I get so shy around her that I never have the confidence to strike up a personal conversation with her. I usually say hi to her and I've asked her a few impersonal questions but that's about it. She's been working at my gym for at least 4 years and while I've always found her attractive it's just the last months that I have gotten a huge crush on her.

Does she know?

The thing is I can't help myself from looking at her a lot more often now. Always looking around searching for her. Stealing glances. When she sees me looking she usually looks back so that we make eye contact for a couple of seconds. She rarely smiles when we make eye contact and I can't bring myself to smile either. We just look intently at each other with expressionless faces.

I've also noticed that she meets my gaze more often when she's across the room from me. When we are close she sometimes seems to look right down the floor instead instead of meeting my eyes. Not always though as we sometimes make eye contact when passing each other (but without either of us smiling).

Sometimes when I throw her a glance, hoping for eye contact, I can see that she looks back at me out of the corner of her eyes. I look away because I don't want to stare at her that way.

I try making eye contact with her whenever I can. Even if it makes me nervous it also makes me feel great when I lock eyes with her. The big question is; do you think she knows I like her? Would you "know" if a shy guy was looking a lot more than normal at you?

Most Helpful Girl

• You can notice. When a guy likes you, his eyes get a lot softer, or a lot bigger, like he's afraid. Which is cute. He gives you a look like "I want to get to know you" instead of "I just wanna f*** you." There's a difference between some random guy checking you out sexually and a guy checking you out because he has a big crush on you. She probably already knows by the way that you look at her so often, guys normally don't eye-tag a girl unless they're interested, especially on several different occasions.

By now she's probably already thinking about you. I know when an attractive boy eyes me often, he's immediately on my mind and I start to crush on him.

Really, TRY smiling at her. It might seem terrifying but it's really not that big of a deal. Just smile. If she smiles back or looks happy that you smiled, she's interested, and it'll be your answer to wether or not you should try to approach her or not.

And to answer your main question simply, yes, I would definitely notice if a guy looked at me more than the average glance. Girls have a sixth sense with this stuff ;)

Good luck!

What Girls Said 12

• Yeah, when a guy has feelings for a girl, it's very apparent in the way he looks at her. I had this conversation with an old friend (who used to be in love with me) last night:

Him: So how did you know so easily that I had feelings for [other girl]?

Me: Your tone of voice was a big giveaway. It changed whenever you said her name.

Him: That's interesting to know. People always used to say my eyes would always give me away whenever I looked at you.

Me: *faint*

But, yes, I'm almost positive this girl suspects (if not knows) you like her.

• I have a question for you, let's say she likes you, what are you expecting from her? are you expecting her to make the first step?talk to you first? If you don't approach her you will never know, and even if she says no she's not interested, the majority of girls will never make fun of you, disrespect your feeeling or be rude to you...majority of girls will be considerate of your feelings and will act normal around you afterward unless you make it awkward. I would advice you to just talk to her because most of the time girls are more annoyed when they have to make the first step.

One more thing even if the girl is not interested in you right now and she says no, you might still be able to make her fall for you, if she's not into someone else...we love attention, we love guys who are willing to work hard for us...

• I forgot to say...yes we know when a guy like us, even if he's shy, it's cute, but he need to do something about it...cuz him not doing something about it drives us crazy :(

• As for how you should approach him; the most important thing is to make sure he understands that you like him. As a shy guy I need more than subtle hints to be a little at ease. Not really knowing puts a lot of tension into the situation. Otherwise just keep talking to him. I know I would ease up for every conversation that way. Shy guys can be a lot of work that way ;)

• Well, I hope it works out for you and thank you for your reply. My situations is a bit more complicated, even though I know he likes me, may be he's not planing to get involved anymore.At this point, I'm just trying to minimize my pain and his confusion if I can. He knows where to find me but I don't know where to find him(without stalking him, which I don't want to do). So it's on him to show up more if he's still interested. :(

• I think she knows that you are interested because she notices your stares. From what you are telling me I think she likes you. Anytime a girl is afraid to smile or stare at you when she gets close to you that's a sign that she likes you well at least for me because I would react the same way. I don't smile at my crushes because I'm afraid that they might not smile back. It's almost like being afraid to say hello because you are afraid that person won't say hello back.

I'm pretty sure she likes you & is waiting for you to make the first move try saying hello to her.

• I would say she knows, it's always pretty obvious if someones eyes are on you,and if she's returning your gazes that's a good sign,and that you might have a shot, but if you don't act, and just keep looking expressionlessly pretty soon it's going to stop seeming cute and start seeming like you're just a weirdo...so start smiling and planning your approach,

• smile smile smile try to smile. that will set it off. half smile, full smile, teeth smile. do it do it. she will definitely get the message and if she returns it most of the time and acts a bit shy or nervous, go for it. she will never know for sure until you make it a bit clearer. say hi when you two pass or wave at her.

• Expressionless gazes mean nothing without further action I'm afraid. Try and smile next time you see each other and take it from there. Without any expressions it becomes really uncomfortable.

• So you would have no idea if a guy frequently sought eye contact with you if he did it without expression?

• without expressions it's confusing,i started crushing on this guy who starred at me and we made eye contact a lot. at the beginning I thought he really hated me, because I might have disturbed his quiet environment few times (long story)..but few months after I realized that he likes me (and we havenot even talked yet) but anyways he didnot do anything about it, so I tried to introduce myself, it didn't go well. if would ve been easier if he introduced himself first.now it's more complicated :(

• I have said this before on here I know but I really was in a situation like this with a guy and he did like me also but, he had a girlfriend so be careful that's not the reason. I hope not, hope all goes well for you.

• I probrably wouldn't notice anything tbh.I thinking body language and be friendly helps with those things also.

• yes yes for sure it's all about the eyes languege !

• I can tell.it's all in the eyes

• when I think I know, I turn out to be wrong.

both guys I had strong feelings for, they would give me the 'look' those warm inviting sultry eyes, the dazed look, and even with the mixed signs and flirting, I asked them out, both rejected me.

i don't believe the eyes anymore. you have to show real interest by hinting to hang out with the girl, only then shell realize you like her.

• i notice when I find a boy staring at me often. "hmm could be interested in me?" crosses my mind.

• Haha serious? A ghost is even easier to see. I would never ever notice these 'signs'. Id just think 'oh he's a nice guy probably just trying to be friendly'. Asking her out will do ;)

What Guys Said 1

• Yes, body language is so clear from the point of view of women.