Why would you avoid looking at someone?

If you see someone looking at you in your peripheral vision, what would stop you from turning your head and look back at that person?

I was looking at a girl I like. I've only said hi to her a few times. I was looking at her from a distance of around 6 yards. I looked at her for about 5 seconds or so. During this time I could see that she was looking back at me from the corner of her eyes but she wouldn't turn her head to face me. She has done this one time before this.

It's not like she never looks at me, I just wonder why she sometimes only looks back from the corner of her eyes.

Most Helpful Girl

• I do this but I think I'm better at the peripheral vision. Having a guy looking at me like that can make me uncomfortable even if I would like him so that's one reason to avoid looking. I had another guy who would wait around for me when I was leaving somewhere to hopefully get to talk to me. I did the same with him but was running away because he gave me the creeps. Then there's the times I'm in no danger and I make a point of noticing for entertainment. Like yesterday I was walking up to a glass door and could see a cop car slowly going by behind me in the reflection with all their heads hanging out the window to take a gawk at my ass. Nothing funnier than their faces when I turned around and looked straight at them.

What Girls Said 16

• shyness...shy girls don't do that on purpose, it's because they don't know what to do when you look at them. when a girl really like you, your presence stress her out especially if you don't talk to her. Girls only do that when they like the guy, if a girl does not like the guy she won't have any reaction/reflex she would act just normal. I'm shy and I do that, I can't control it...the guy can help by talking to the girl, it relieves the pressure of her thinking what to do.

• I would be afraid that they would see me looking at them. Even though I stare at people often, if someone is attractive and I feel caught off-guard, I won't dare look when I think there's a chance they might catch me looking.

• Whenever someone is looking at me I may quickly glance or look at them for a second. I don't like to stare at people because I don't wan't there to be an awkwardness or for them to think I'm weird or something.

She could just be scared to look round, next time you see her just give her a smile and see her reaction!:)

• Ok if a guy was looking at me from across the room or whatever, I would be spending those 5 seconds having an internal battle with myself to whether or not I should look back. its like world war 3 going on up there. things take time. go introduce yourself and make life easier for the both of you. then you would get your answer to whether your feeling is mutual. :)

• thats how I am too. I'm very outgoing and sometimes make the first moves but for some reason I get so awkwarded out when I could feel or see someone staring at me. I start fixing myself and looking away. it doesn't mean I don't like the person, I just get really uncomfortable when someone keeps looking at me and not saying anything

• shy and doesn't want to be vulnerable by showing she's interested

• Hmmm. I've been in this situation. Guy tries to look out of the corner of his eye or over his shoulder without trying to be obvious. Stares and then when I notice quickly looks away. Don't really talk anymore so I don't know. Wish I knew too.

• It takes control to not look back because if someone does that to me I naturally automatically make eye contact no matter who the person is. She definitely can sense that you are staring at her and she might be uncomfortable.

• So she could be avoiding eye contact sometimes because she has no "romantic" interest for me?

• no if you guys see each other , and are making eye contact frequently and she's breaking it...it means she likes you too...you need to make a move, at least start by saying hi then the conversation should proceed from there. Eye contact means a lot, and locking eyes means a lot...it's not something you do with every person you meet. people can be very socially outgoing and they might still break eye contact with the person they like, because it is too much pressure.

• I have severe social phobia.

• If I feel uncomfortable, shy or nervous

• Well, shyness could explain it, or she may think it's rude to openly stare at you.

• Shy, embarrassed

• am shy,or it because I don't want them to see what am thinking about them

• I'm not shy but sometimes I do this. I want to look at someone but I can't make him feel like I do look at him I don't want to show my interest in him

• Girls tend to do glimpses instead of staring like men do. I don't know why.

• She's probably curious.

What Guys Said 6

• She is shy and doesn't want to acknowledge your looking at her. But if it really upset her, she'd turn away totally.

At that point I'd walk up and introduce myself, if I were you!

• shyness, vulnerability, condescension, insecurity, not wanting to seem like your invading someone's business, not wanting someone to look into your soul... in general, there are a variety of reasons we avoid direct eye contact, even if we know another person is looking at us.

In this specific case? I'd probably need to know more information - her body language, the setting, her facial expressions, etc - before I could say a real reason why. Shyness or vulnerability seems to be the more common one, though, in personal settings.

• I had a girl do this to me. She and I were friends and she sat a few rows in front of me in the only class we had. I just thought she wanted to know how I acted around other people. Guess I was wrong...

You should do something about it, take it from me.

Cheers!

• People are not comfortable with staring... You say it's not the first time this has happened meaning this staring thing you have developed isn't working for you... I would suggest talking to her and say "I'm sorry for staring at you all the time I just think your so beatiful" or whatever... Plus I think girls automatically label anyone staring at them to long a creep... I'm a ugly dude so if I stare for a long time I can see why that would be creepy lol or stalkerish

• Not necessarily shy or bashful.

More towards uncertainty. I've done the same with this girl who would stare me down multiple times. Only once have I kept eye contact back with her and I realized how sensual it was.

So in other words I would say it's more intimidating and scary.

• So did you avoid looking directly at her because you knew you weren't interested or because you were uncertain of your interest for her?

• Yeah if it was some girl I used to know. If it was a really attractive lady, I would be scared thinking, "It's nothing. She only looked at me because she knew me or looking at the guy next to me. I'm so scared I don't know what to do." followed by burying my head. If she decides to walk over and initiate a conversation with me then the nervousness really sets in. Keep it brief and to the point and don't reveal I like her (it'll drive her away, yeah I am really wierd). Escape if all else fails.