Why do a lot of guys prefer a short woman to a tall woman?

Seriously, tall women are hot! I mean, I don't mind dating a short woman at all, but tall women are sexy! Tall guys (not all) always seem to want to date midgets who are like waaaaay shorter than them. Why don't more tall guys want to date tall women, or even women of average height? I know the whole "protector" thing comes into play but a lot of guys who are really tall seem to go crazy for girls who are over a foot shorter than them. I just don't get the extreme opposite attraction with height.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's an American thing. Americans in the past usually ate better and thus were taller than some other nationalities. Now they're just tall and pudgy, if not fat. Other nationalities are getting fatter by the day thanks to their food exports. The whole protector size thing is animal BS which in humans only applies as a ritual under the shield of civilization. A midget can shoot or knife a giant without any problem. Some more average height guys under 6 foot that know how to fight even have an advantage in hand to hand when going for the throat of a guy much taller, which can be devastating no matter how tall the target or how much he can bench press. I know some reading this will have their inner internet tough guy just itching to come out with some total bullsh*t response, but whether they do or don't, what I've said is factual. So basically, tallness on a guy is like big boobs on a girl. It's obvious, but it's only relevant because we think it is. And no, I'm not short. I'm about average, 5'10". I'm just tired of tall guys that look like a teamster thumping their flabby chest to get some self esteem. And only bimbo girls make a big deal about extra height, just is the case of any other obvious, trite BS.

• I agree with you completely.

What Girls Said 12

• Haha, cheers!

I think most guys feel more masculine/manly when the woman is shorter - like they can protect them (like you mentioned). Some just think shorter women are more feminine, sexy, girly, etc.

I'm 5'10" and I've received attention from guys of varying heights, but most are tall. Some guys are admittedly bothered by my height, others love it, and most just don't even care/notice.

• Ha! No problem.

I've got guy friends who are as short as 5'3'' who absolutely adore tall women, even girls who are taller than you. But they don't want to make a move because they say they are certain their lack of height will instantly lead to rejection.

• In all honesty, it will in a lot of instances. The problem is that a lot of tall women are uncomfortable with their height, and buy into that crap that tall=masculine & short=feminine. No woman wants to feel like a behemoth, ya know?

• I always hear guys say that they want a woman who is tall but not taller than them. I've never heard of a guy specifically wanting a short girl unless he himself is short. We tiny people lose out no matter which gender we are.

• Short guys lose out much more than short girls. I don't even think short girls lose out that much tbh.

• Obviously, because everyone thinks that the girl must be shorter than the guy. But guys still prefer tall girls as long as they're shorter than them.

• I think it's for some, its the the "protector" thing as you mentioned. It making them feel masculine as someone else mentioned. I think its also out of intimidation, which overlaps with the masculine factor. Some aren't comfortable or use to women being closer their height or eye to eye to them. A silly stereotype that I've heard ( from a guy) for the reason why a lot of them prefer short women is that they are better at sex -_-

It sucks because I'm like 5'7", 5'8" and most guys I've seen or met, I'm either about the same height as them or few inches shorter.

• They feel more like a man. The height gives them an advantage, and its a stereotypical kind of pride thing that makes them want to be with someone who is shorter than them. It could also be mindset of the whole dominance thing for some maybe?

• I understand the whole feeling like a man thing. I even understand the whole dominance thing. But you see guys over 6ft who want girls who are just about over 5ft. I mean, you can still be dominant and manly and protective if you are with a girl who about 5'10''. She's still shorter than you.

• I think its mainly because of the protector thing you said.

• Short is seen as feminine and then there's that whole protector thing

• Short is feminine

Tall is masculine

• Not true at all. A person's sexuality is not defined by their height.

• And yet men complain that women don't date short guys.

• What's your point? I think women not dating short guys is also stupid, especially if the girl is actually shorter than the guy. It seems as if the shorter the girl the taller they want the guy.

• Whatever

• I think it's kind of (just a little) like the "moe" thing in anime. You know how some anime characters kind of look young and overloadingly cute? It kind of makes people feel protective, and also everything that the mini-person does is automatically 'adorable'. (I say this as a short person.) It's also similar to how tiny puppies and ponies are cuter compared to bigger show dogs and show horses, which are usually described as 'majestic' or 'beautiful'. Some people like the cute look and some like the elegant look; it's all preference. This actually used to be a reason for telling short girls (back when tall was 'in') that they'd never be beautiful, only pretty.

link

(Anime fans, please don't kill me if I totally botched that.)

• My boyfriend is 6'5. I'm 5'4. I get yelled at for stealing the tall guys from the tall girls but he doesn't mind. He says I'm cute and adorable and he would not date a woman near his height because he finds them freaky and "no woman should be that tall." Sorry if you're offended by this, but that's his reasoning.

• I'm not offended at all, but "no woman should be that tall"? I mean, that's just nonsense. There's no specific height requirement for men or women.

• Times have changed. More and more men are starting to like taller women.

• Tell me about it. I've had more than one guy consider me too tall to be their ideal and I'm only 5'6-5'7. This included a guy who was 6'7. I think it makes guys feel really masculine and dominant to be with a tiny girl, though. My current boyfriend prefers taller girls, though, so I was happy to hear it wasn't universal.

What Guys Said 8

• its purely evolutionary. guys are more attracted to a woman that they can dominate, or feel entitled to. this is much easier subconciously with shorter women. I personally love all heights of women. One example is Aisha Tyler. She is one giant of a woman, but the things I would do to that black goddess are not for virgin ears. On the flip side, someone shorter like Lacey Chabert is also insanely attractive in my book.

• short girls generally have banging bodies. Taller girls generally are more flat chested and have a flat ass. Short girls most of the time have much sexier bodies.

The other reason is that a short girl is fun because she can be thrown around and picked up. That's the main reason most guys like short girls.

I like tall girls. I'm 6'2" and most guys wouldn't date a tall girl because guys usually don't want a girlfriend who is taller than him and most girls don't want a boyfriend who is shorter than her. That gives me a huge advantage. A 6' tall girl is pretty much limited to dating guys my height or taller so I have a really good chance of getting them. I'm usually one of three other guys in the bar who are tall enough to qualify...

• I guess because men don't feel masculine enough.

They want to remain the alpha male.

• And they need someone over a foot shorter than them to feel masculine? They can't feel masculine only being a few inches taller?

• Equivalant heights works for me as well

• They might want to feel powerful next to her since they are men. I think you are right though tall women are very attractive, they have these statuesque figures. So beautiful.

• if she's taller than you already, imagine her with heels on

• that's just even sexier to me

• Short women are cute - you can throw them around the room and dominate them in a serious way. You can hold them much easier if you're f***ing them standing up against the wall. They can make you feel big and strong and protective, like a man should.

• I'm tall and I prefer tall girls.

• I agree with you. All the girls I've asked out have pretty tall, some of them even taller than me. And I myself am above average at 5'11''.