Do you look at the way a girl is dresses and assume she is "high maintenance"?

If so,what type of clothing would cause you to draw that conclusion?

Most Helpful Guy

• I wouldn't say it has to do with what "type" of clothes a girl is wearing. I'm not sure how to accurately explain it. Like, if I see a girl with perfectly done-up hair, perfectly done-up nails, a perfect tan, having spent the time to do her make-up, wearing some high-fashion high heels, wearing some bodycon or form-fitting dress, and basically looking obsessed with her appearance, and looking that way almost every single time I see her out in public, then that says something about her as a person.

My brain is playing BINGO at that point. Is it obsessive compulsive, narcissistic, borderline, or histrionic personality disorder? It's one thing to put in "some" effort to try and look nice and presentable, but when I see that a girl has crossed a certain line and her behavior is outside that range of normal, then I start worrying.

I'm also not sure "high maintenance" really captures what I'm concerned about. It's not like I'm worried that this is the kind of girl that's going to have me reaching into my pocket all the time and make me go broke for her. Maybe she's just high emotional maintenance (histrionic) in the sense that I'll have to constantly shower her with attention and it'll never be enough. Maybe she's high emotional maintenance (OCPD) in the sense that I'll need to be heavily medicated in order to stand being next to someone so controlling. Maybe she's high emotional maintenance (borderline) in the sense that I'll need to constantly shower her with comfort and validation and pad her insecurities, constantly trying to calm her down from thinking negatively about herself and the way she looks.

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 6

• You betcha I do! Not that my mind is closed for good on the girl, but if she's overdressed, either there's a party I didn't know about, or she's exaggerating the importance of expensive clothes.

Naturally I don't jump t that conclusion the first time I see a girl! There could be many reasons she's dressed up..but if it becomes a pattern with her, then yes, I asume she's expensive company.

• You can't automatically assume, for example she might just be dressed for an occasion. Also any girls who take care of their appearance and dress to kill might be taken as high maint. And I like high maint girls, like I said they take pride in their appearance, stay fit and dress to kill.

• I don't think of this whole concept of high-maintenance or low-maintenance thing when I see a girl. It just doesn't strike my mind at all.

• This girl: link (I'd think high maintenance)

This girl: link link (I'd just think she looks great, but I wouldn't be thinking high maintenance)

I guess the difference is how the girl is presenting herself and whether I feel she's being "fake." I mean, everyone is a little fake. After all, she's technically wearing clothes. That's not how she was born. She's putting on a show! But that's like hypertechnical. But if the girl makes me feel like she's fake, just from the way she's dressed, then yeah, I'm automatically thinking high maintenance.

• the more she spends on her clothes, the more high maintenance

• If her clothes are more expensive than she could reaosnably afford with whatever job she has, I assume she's high maintenance.

What Girls Said 6

• i really do hope not, altho unfortunately I think they do look at us like that. looks can lead a guy to think a lot about a person.

im living proof of this. by my looks I appear a girlie girl but my personality is nothing like that lol. apparently I look like a 'princess' [which is pretty bad in my books, I just think I'm average].

but to answer your qs, most probably any clothing that is revealing or figure hugging would cause that assumption. I say that there's more to a girl than just her looks altho, sadly but truly, SOME [not all ok?:P] guys don't look much further [and guys, you know that:P]

• i think many do

• Not necessarily but if they dress like a million buck you can easily tell if they high maintence

• no, it depends on other things

• i do think they can tell by that

• I think its mroe about how much they care or talk about them