Facing a possible homeless situation need help

I don't want to get into specifics but it is looking like I may be out on my own soon. I have a college education but can not find work, the whole not finding a job has snowballed into something really bad. Without being able to get hired I can not find any one who would even consider renting me a room to stay, I can not develop any form of credit to even present a potential landlord because you need to a job for that. I have some money saved up but it will go fast and I feel its best to save it for food so I can survive. I have looked into homeless shelters and housing commission it seems as though every form of help is aimed at helping recovering drug addicts and not people who are just looking for a place to stay with no drug problems.

I feel like once I become homeless I will have a very hard time trying to make it since, any shot you have at getting a job you have to appear presentable I do not know how presentable I can be when I possibly can't clean my clothes, shower, cut my hair, shave, etc.

Has anyone on this site ever gone through being homeless before?

What are shelters like?

How did you better your life?

Most Helpful Girl

• There are places to help people in your situation, not just for recovering addicts... keep researching places in your area... I'm sure if you went into your local welfare office you can find programs or the people would know where to direct you.. I am in a similar situation... not exactly being kicked out (at the moment, a year ago I was about to be) but I live with my parents and they really can't stand me and I can't stand them either and we fight all the time, I'm trying to find help too... I don't want to lie and say I'm homeless, but if I don't then there's not much help for me, I can't find a job, can't afford clothes for job interviews, If I could get welfare and food stamps that would help me TREMENDOUSLY, I could eat some decent food, have money for clothes and to pay my parents rent so they don't fight with me, I looked into food stamps but I have to be 22 to be seen as separate than my parents who I'm living with(my dad makes too much to qualify, even though I don't get money from him or eat the food he buys) I just saw your profile, looks like we live in the same area, let me know what you find!

• If you have to you can lie and say your an ex addict...

What Girls Said 7

• Can you apply for unemployment? I've heard of others being on unemployment for 12 months and receiving about 1k a month. Also, if you go to college you can't get a grant to help pay for classes (perhaps get a certification in something that has an immediate opening) and receiving any loans for an apartment. When I was in school, they offered me 5k per semester to go towards an apartment.

To help find a job, try job agencies, your college career center, even try alumni. Best of luck!

• you need contacts, do you have friends you can crash at their place and do housework in return to make them feel like you can offer something back?

You can always clean up yourself in a public toilet before starting work.

• Just one person but they haven't spoken to me in a while.

True but it isn't the same as shower and it is quite embarrassing if someone see's you.

• what about your family, would they happen to know a friend that lend you a room while you find a job?

• Maybe try talking to the college you went or are going to and see if they can find you a job based on what you took there, usually they can help you find a good job.

• I have a job now this was posted several months ago, I don't exactly have a permanate place to live because I am jumping between two towns.

• Oh sorry I didn't see the date on it, my bad

• It is perfectly fine

• I used to homeless while going to school. It was hard. Can you live from your car? Can you find a roommate(s). There are many other possibility. Look into food bank and churches for other shelter service. Can you call your family or friend? We all need help sometime in our lives. It is OK to get help.

• I was homeless last year for 8 months...meaning,I literally relied on the help of friends which is something you should try and do if you can.I do not know where you live,but I live in a major city and the shelters are so awful that people PREFER sleeping on the streets to avoid theft,rape,insect infestations like bed bugs etc.I also know some people who decided to act like they had a substance abuse problem so they could get assistance and a room.Don't even get me started on how warped I think the system is that a clean and sober person has such difficulty finding an affordable place to live,YET someone on drugs and other substances get the royal treatment...its unbelievable.Anyway...

Last year I was evicted because of some apt drama that wasn't my fault,and it left me with no option but to apply for low income housing (artist housing).I had to wait eight months just to get an apartment,but within that time,I couch surfed at different friends houses.At the end of it all,I had moved a minimum of 8 times.SO,I suggest you couch surf...reach out to your friends without shame because you NEED them right now.Sleeping on buses and trains is not cool man,trust me.Been there,done that.Once you start going down that road,its hard to try and tidy up for job interviews and what not. There is nothing wrong with asking for help and being smart about it.I am quite sure there is some type of program or help for you,a support network.

After toughing it out living out of a suitcase,I now have my own apt and I am doing great! But for me,living on the streets was NOT an option.There are smarter ways to go about your situation.Whomever your friends are,offer to clean in exchange for living there and continue looking for work.People are more than willing to help you if they realize you are doing everything to help yourself.

Good luck to you.

• I had no idea it took so long to apply for low income housing. I have some money saved up right now but I am in a strange place that is new to me. It snows in the winters, I am not to worried about the next couple months and I have some job oppertunities I am trying to start. But the winter is what has me worried, I have slept in parks before so that is not really a problem but once the snow falls I could seriously die.

• help,then that is beyond stupid.I left my house when I was 17 for legit reasons and it was hard as hell.But you know what?Not one day of my life have I had to sleep on the streets...and that's because I am smart enough to aquire resources and I'm not lazy.I'm not sure if I have much else to say on this topic because everyone will do what they want to,and what they feel they need to do.If you want to struggle in the most uneccessary way,then knock yourself out.

• Thanks. I know what I have to do

• Yes, during the end of high school my mom went a bit crazy and kicked me out of the house. I had a very rude awakening to a lot of adult life. After that I worked hard, showed everyone how hard I worked and was welcomed into people's homes because they knew I wouldn't be a dead beat. I worked any job I could, my first job then was one were the manager actually would hit me from time to time and it was horrible. But I kept working because I had nothing. Now I have two jobs and am doing college full time. Work any job, don't be proud. There are hundreds who have nothing and would be happy to do some of our worst jobs. I admire them and try to work as hard as I know they would.

• Stay with your friends or family?

What Guys Said 6

• Efforts must be doubled. I find it hard to believe there isn't a single job opportunity out there for someone with an associate's degree. Clean bathrooms, stock bars, cut lawns, paint houses, move furniture... All of these options are far better than living on the street, waiting for a desk job that suits you. If an immigrant, unable to speak a word of English and with no formal education can find work, there's no reason you can't. Sometimes you have to take a step backwards in order to move forward.

One day, several years from now you'll find yourself in an interview for a dream job, and you'll be asked, "Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult situation, and how did you overcame it." Now, by then you'll be fully qualified for the job, as will several other candidates, but you'll smile to yourself because you'll be able to tell them a story about a young man that was facing eviction and homelessness with no job prospects, who decided to get up and work his ass off to do whatever he had to do to keep a roof over his head and food in his stomach. Over time, sweat and calluses gave way to hope and promise. You learned how strong your spirit is, how to truly support yourself, and what it means to be thankful for every miniscule blessing. And you'll enjoy watching the interviewer try to compare that story to your competitor's one's about dealing with an angry customer, or adjusting to a smaller marketing budget. Not only will you get the job, but you'll far exceed expectations and your leadership will inspire those around you.

Go find out just how strong your spirit is.

• I spent a couple years in my youth on and off the streets.

Shelters were the arrive by 6pm and claim a spot. You would go there, log in, then could roam around the streets until 9pm at which point you'd go and claim your bed. You had to be out in the morning.

Half of the time the shelters were full and I had to spend the night on the streets. It wasn't very fun in the winter but summer wasn't all that bad. There was always a park to sleep in and for awhile I would slept in the woods and even made my own little shelter near a water fall. It was actually kind of nice until some hikers happen to come across me and reported me.

I bettered my life by finding someone who took pity on my situation and gave me shelter and helped me find some work. I then lived rent free with them for three years and paid my way through college. Now here I am.

• [p.s] if you sleep in a shelter make sure you sleep with an arm around your sh*t. People will try and rob you any chance they get even if you have nothing of value worth stealing.

• It might not be the best choice, but becoming a Nanny can be a short term solution to your situation. It gives you a place to live, and an income. But it does not allow you much privacy or freedom to have a life.

Good Luck,

James

• join the military

• Any relatives you can fall back on? And out of curiosity what did you study in college and where did you go?

• No just the parents and I can't move back in with them. I got an A.A. in social behavior which is a pretty sh*t degree. I just went to community college

• Alright well I am currently in college and if you need work you can get it. Go to a couple temp agencies and I can guarantee you will be working for about 320 dollars a week in a warehouse... beats other sh*t

• Go back to college and live in the dorms. Go on financial aid to pay for school.