Change really frightens me. What causes this anxiety?

The previous school year has been full on and when I look back I feel so anxious towards the future. I feel so restless and panicky just by looking over the previous year and insecure thoughts start to go through my head about my work and friends. Change really frightens me. What can I do?

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like you're a comfort-zone kind of person. I am too.

The best thing to do, to keep yourself acclimatized, is get out of that comfort zone regularly. Make little changes to your routine or environment occasionally. That way you won't freak out when change happens sometimes. BUT, keep something, even if it's small, to be a "transition object". Haha! I've had a dream catcher, since birth, and it makes wherever I am feel like home and it calms me. Find something like that, that makes you feel a familiarity.

"The only constant is change."

Work on handling it and coping better.

I wish you the best!

I'm still working on this as well, haha!

What Girls Said 5

• I hear everyone hates change. Just don't dwell on the past and think of the future how the new school year is a fresh start. You'll meet new friends

• Just take deep breaths from your stomach that is what helped me

• its common with most people, some just deal with anxiety better.

• calm donw and thnk htat things won't be as bad as you migh timagine, and htat even if htey are you will be able to chang ethings around

• just breathe deeply when you are anxious

What Guys Said 1

• Change is going to be a factor in your life for all of your life.

It's important therefore that you learn to deal with change, in a healthy and productive manner.

It might help if you spent some time looking back over your life, and making a list of times and situations where-in you encountered change, particularly change which was beyond your control. And write down how you handled it, what your worst fears about that change wear, and what was the worst thing that actually happened.

You should learn from this exercise that 1) you're already adapt at dealing with change 2) your worst fears almost never materialise. You have a tendency to fear the worst possible outcome, and never rationally realize that the odds against that outcome are so vanishingly small.

• Good answer buddy. My main fear is making friends and then then forgetting you as life moves on. Almost certainly in my life I'm the one that stops contact but its just so worry lol. Also as life moves on I'm afraid of being insignificant. I'm trying to change my mentallity. Its stupid I know

• Your right in the sense my worst insecurities have never materialised. Iv felt like this before kinda and qhen I used to look back I used to think how stupid I was hahha

• Also the last time I felt like this on a small scale was a couple of years ago and I didn't look at the root of the problem but just went around it and I felt better because my life changed. But this time iv really gotten to the root of the problems and realize the insecurities never materialise and if they do I don't care because I'm more afraid of my heart getting hurt and it doesn't