Why do women so often discriminate based on height?

Like, sorry, I didn't have a choice over the height I ended up being, sheesh... makes me less of a man apparently if I am like 5'6 instead of 6'0?

Most Helpful Girl

• not all girls do that. I'm 5'7" and I'm head over heels(or head over head in this case) for a guy whose at least 3 inches shorter. but id date a guy if he was 5'6".all though I do know a lot of girls do that...but there is still girls who will date a shorter guy! or you could just date a girl shorter than you maybe, because some girls don't need a really tall guy, just one taller than them. plus guys are always going for petite girls, which is a problem at my age(im a freshman) because guys aren't full grown yet. your not less of a man...oh and I have a question for you, do guys care if a girl is taller or like a year older?

What Girls Said 9

• Why do women so often discriminate based on height?

Attraction and the mindset of associating height with masculinity no different than how guys so often discriminate based on weight, body shape, age associating certain standards with femininity.

To some it does and to some it doesn't.

• Come on now, women discriminate based on weight, body shape, and age AT LEAST as much as men do. On top of it, women add a height requirement.

• @rocksongwriter

Studies show gals are less visual than guys an often generate attraction through other means so it's highly doubtful gals discriminate on those factors as much as guys.

If gals discriminated at least as much as guys do:

- there would be a multi-billion dollar beauty industry for guys

- most gal advice would be how to get a hot younger guy like it seems most guy advice is how to get a hot young gal instead it's please your man

- likely there wouldn't be a men age like wine bit

• No it doesn't make you less of a man. Don't worry about it. Some girls, like myself happen to be really tall and we just prefer guys our height or taller. Guys are the same, I've met more than one that told me I was too tall.

• It has evolutionary roots and it's also the social and cultural norm. I know it's not easy being on the wrong end of what society deems "normal". Believe me, people stare and I've had my fair share of guys tell me they'd date me but only if I was about half a foot shorter. But those are the kinds of people you wouldn't want to date anyway, right? At least there's still hope in the many people who do look past height. :)

• it's similar to how men discriminate based on looks. it's all about personal preference.i don't think being shorter makes you less of a man. but I'm a lot less superficial than people my age.

• i don't discriminate based on height. The only reason why I know my friends don't like small guys is because their small guys don't like it when the girl is wearing heels

• Well being a girl that is 5'8 I find it less attractive because it makes me feel older and more manly if I have to be the one to bend down and kiss/hug. It's like this idea that is engraved into our minds much like how guys like boobs/butt, I like guys my height or taller, it's just how I am. I feel to awkward dating shorter. It also leads to the feeling of being safe and better taken care of. But some girls don't mind, you just need to find the one that accepts you for you.

• nothing. I think you are ok.

• i don't do that

• First off... I could fill a page with the things guys discriminate against women for. I guess people like what they like. Some girls associate it with masculinity the same way some guys associate large breasts with femininity. Unfortunately girls and guys miss out on someone potentially perfect for them based on a physical attribute. Fair or not that's just the way it is.

However, some don't really care. I'm 5'5" and my guy is 5'7". He is confident and that's so sexy. If I want to wear stiletto heels I do, and yes I'm taller. He doesn't care if I'm taller in heels so why should I? I think that shows he has confidence and doesn't care about his height. He said he did when he was in high school, but he had to learn not to care. I'll add this, something you probably already know,sex with someone close to your height lines things up in a great way! Girls don't know what they're missing! :-)

Height doesn't make you less of a man.

• you should only have sex AFTER MARRIAGE!

• Not that I have to justify...my guy IS my husband!

What Guys Said 5

• Most women tend to go for the taller guys; there's no doubt about that. However, that doesn't mean you're dead in the water. My advice would be to make up for it with personality. One of my good friends is 5'6"; even though he's much older and shorter than I am, women chase him all the time. The main reason is because he's a confident, outgoing and fun guy.

• You'd be best off not worrying about it. Complaining about it will only make it worse. Sure, some girls will dismiss you the second they see you because of your height, but honestly, it's for the better. Think of it this way: If a girl can't see past your height, she's not what you're looking for anyway.

• yeah back in the day it was correlated with being a good leader etc. but nowadays it doesn't really matter, its one of those things we just haven't evolved out of yet, but you can still get it man I'm 5'7 and I still smash all the time so g'luck

• People are just into what they're into man. Girls want someone who is going to be protective and the alpha figure of their family, just like most men wouldn't date a girl who is 6'1". It all goes back to evolution. A lot of women will see past height though. Danny Devito got married sooooo..

• I think 6'1 would be super aweosme

• Women can have their preferences just like men do.