Do you feel narcissism is at an all time high?

I honestly feel like everyone is obsessed with their own things and that people are only looking at what attention they get for themselves. It seems like people are caring less and less of each other and that people take no concern for others anymore.

It feels like more and more people are idolizing who they are and even a charitable act is nothing more than a way for someone to make themself look better at the expense of someone else's misfortune.

With all this Facebook, twitter, and instagram stuff now people don't even know how to communicate anymore and now messaging online is all a ways to call attention to one's self without having to socially commit to anyone anymore.

Does anyone else feel that more and more people are obsessed with themselves nowadays?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, but that's only natural with various cultural and technological shifts which have really accelerated in the past 50 years. One feels intense pressure from out there, when one sees various images, plastered all over the media, of happy, shiny people, living fantastic lives. So one buys into it. Well you'd have to be tremendously mentally strong not to; to resist all the conditioning from out there. It has become the norm, that it is not even challenged, not in any non-superficial way! So because of this pressure, one feels it necessary to strive. And if one strives, then necessarily, you put your own welfare and concerns above others. What fellows is destruction in various guises, to yourself, subtly, and others, the planet. It will catch up with us. People think the answer is through more knowledge, through being cleverer, more logical. But can't they already see that we are bombarded with far more information than we can possibly process? Clearly, we need to go back to some of the intuitive understanding of our distant ancestors, when we understood our place in the natural order, and actually valued human relationships and nature; not saw it as means to ends.

What Girls Said 7

• No not really. Just lot of self esteem problems from the younger ones and a serious co-dependency on twitter and Facebook. People are not connected as much as they should be with their families. Parents working too much?

• yes !

i also think it has to do with society telling us to focus on ourselves.

• I agree

• Facebook, Twitter, reality TV, etc... yes, I'd say people have definitely made an art of flaunting their nauseating narcissism.

• yes, I do

• yes ahha I agree.

• yes, people are way more isolated and narcissistic these days, whether they realize it or not, no one here can argue that because we're all sitting looking at a computer screen rather than communicating with the people around us. You may think giving advice is being selfless but would you really help these people if they were in need? Other than typing a few encouraging words... I am not excluding myself here... just trying to say what's true... I'm lazy so I'm going to keep living in my own world... for now at least...

• Yea I will call people on the phone and very few will actually pick up anymore, but many will text me back instead. I have very few friends now because people would rather sit at home on Facebook than do anything.

What Guys Said 6

• Narcissism is at an all-time low. We're just throwing around words now.

• It most certainly is

• were only human, we all crave attention

• I agree.

• It's not.

• Yeah, I feel like too many people don't care about others these days