Do you think the media is too hard on us? both guys and girls?

I think so... telling us how to look, our place in society and who we are destined to be.

A woman is all about looks, an object for sex, a passive creature and a fragile specimen.

A man needs to be tough, barely show emotion, run a household and be financially successful and get that cold hard body.

Anything outside of this is deemed failure...

Is anyone else annoyed by this, or do you simply accept it and move on?

im talking about the PRESENT by the way, not gender roles that have been established ages ago... I am aware of the existence of those, people..

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, I do think the media affects us too much. What you see on TV plays a big role on women (and men, but not as much). How your makeup needs to be, what you should wear, how to act, etc. It's mostly because of celebrities I think. It makes people feel like they are not good enough in any category when they are perfectly fine. I don't like the role media plays on us.

What Guys Said 9

• Media is us, media is not an alien dictating us how to live our lives. True sensationalism has become part of the media, but we drive that sensationalism. On the contrary media is ripped apart now if dare to say women are passive creatures, or fragile specimen. While being object of desire, women themselves drive that. There are countless magazines targeted at women, women themselves are the main demographic. And what's one of the main themes, being attractive. Style, sex it covers all. All the gossip magazines targeted at women. These magazines are sold in millions literally, and women buy these in droves. So women drive that themselves. Women are the culture, feeding on this crap and wanting more.

Women are NOT judge harshly, its just that victimized mentality again. Men are object of desire too or are women asexual? Have you seen all the programmes or movies targeted at female demographic, sex and the city for example. Stating the fact again that in dating guys are judged on looks as harshly as women. There is more emphasis on sex or looks on girls because guys are the ones who are solely responsible for playing the game, from a to z. When unattractive guys peruse girls they are shot down. As girls are object of desire as they are to be chased, preference set by women themselves. Only way they can stand out is by looking good. A person who looks good the most gets more attention hence more admirers.

How many guys are not even given time of day because they are not fun, manly, confident, dominant, exciting etc. Guys who show emotion are called weak, emo by girls themselves. Wouldn't get a Girlfriend in a million years. That's not driven by media. If women don't want to be only judged on looks and want it reversed, well they can also start chasing guys, and play the game too. But again guys are already judged on looks. None of that is driven by the media.

Take Disney for example. What's the theme. Girls want to be treated as Princesses. Treat her as a Princess and you'll get the girls. Mommy tells the same thing. Yet when these guys treat girls like Princesses girls don't even give them time of day. Media seems to have absolutely no impact at all. Media portrays anorexic models are beautiful, yet has no impact on guys.

The media is reflection of us. All they want is sensationalism, ratings, money. As soon as the wind starts blowing the other way they change sides. They could care less about the truth. Not to mention we as free individuals are free not listen to them.

So to reply to original question, its not the media but the social construct what determines social attitudes, media simply portrays it or reflects it.

• If aMuse hadn't said it I would have :D - I agree on that count. It's all about how we think, percieve and act by ourselves. If we are sure about ourselves nothing can be hard on us.

• I think the media isn't hard enough. As a matter of fact the media seems to never stay towards any particular standards; it's so hot and cold and all over the place. Some shows recognize "BBW Lifestyles" and then there's entire networks that curse fat people. Then there's networks for "acceptance and peace" and then there's BS here and there and everywhere telling people that their outer looks don't even f***ing matter!

If the media were actually streamlined it would be nice. If it was honest it would be nice. It's neither. Capt. Hammer is a handsome jerk and Pretty Lillabel is this sexy airhead. Well ... wtf? Oh and on Lifetime Mr. Thorough is a hearfelt man lost on his journey only to be saved by Gwendlyn, who teaches him to love again, because blahblahblah and despite the fact that Gwendlyn looks ike she got hit by a truck ( because she did, it's LIFETIME ) he sees through this absolutely unattractive shell to meet the woman of his dreams.

-sigh- It's beautiful; the concept that you can watch whatever you want that fits how you feel like living. So rather than the media giving you sh*t all you have to do is change the channel to something that will "Celebrate" you.

• It terms of reporting the news, getting facts rights and breaking stories the media is incompetent for the most part. Obviously you are talking about the other media though. link link It also effects men to but not as much and it is also almost never mentioned. link link

• It's only hard on weak minded people.

• Good point I guess

• Good enough to land me a down vote. =P I've never bought the entire media influence thing. Aren't people skeptical at all of what they see? Can't they think for themselves? I guess I'm an optimist and want to think people are smarter then that.

• I have no idea why you got down voted, dw ill neutralise it because you do make a valid point in saying pretty much that the medias influence is whatevr you make of it

• To be blunt and simple:

The Media is a reflection of The Culture. The Culture is not a reflection of The Media. The answer is "No".

• I could not have said it any better. Perfect.

• But if you consider advertising as a form of media, then that statement would not always hold. I mean the purpose of advertising is to make people want things they don't need. Yes, people hold the ultimate choice into whether they choose to feed into the media, but you can't deny that, to some extent, media does influence the cultural norms.

• Depends on what is being advertised. If it's a "necessity" ( food, clothing, shelter, transportation, communication, or humanities ) they are indeed created to sway you to a specific option but at the same time they do not disturb the function of the modern needs.

If it's Nu-Nu, yeah, you're right, albeit I don't think those commercials have a lot of investment just from the way they look. I've never seen a commercial on Nick for a beadglamour kit that was "Top o' da line".

• I think the media is a bit harder on girls than guys

• yeah it is, I think so too...

what do you think of that pressure tho? do you find it acceptable?

• I think there is too much emphasis placed on superficial things, and girls jump on that a bit too much I think. And since girls are very heavily sexualized in hollywood, girls are pressured even more to look a certain way.

• in the news and world status they are

• Don't forget a man needs to be tall...I really hate that one...

What Girls Said 7

• I think these days, more than promoting gender roles, the media promotes a ideal of perfection. An ideal women of today, would be one who can juggle a successful career and still maintain a healthy family life. A few days ago, a colleague at work was complaining that she is not able to lose her baby weight, It had only been a month since she gave birth. She was saying how jealous she was of people like Miranda Kerr and so on. I mean, the celeb culture places so much attention on weight and without doubt most women's magazine will have an article on "yummy mummies" who return to their usual weight in a redic short amt of time. And when these celebs are asked about their diet secrets, they will say " I exercise only for this amt of time and blah blah" The truth is these people have to spend so much time to lose and maintain their weight, time that normal mothers don't have.

Also we monitor and observe so intensely whether celebs lose or gain weight,have good/ horrible fashion taste etc.. this obsession with perfection is manufactured by media, so that we are constantly never satisfied with our lives and hence feel like we are not good enough.

I don't noe much about the impact of media for men, but I think it will be similar and in some cases, it may be as bad.

• i disagree with all of that.

first of all-they're not ordering you to do anything-you have a mind of your own and if you choose to do what they say,that's your decision and you're the one to blame.

the ''media'' consists of all different views-some will condemn a woman for being independent and strong-some will praise her. some will call a guy a p****-some will say he's brave with his emotions-it's different people putting their views out for public consumption. the woman-man descriptions you described are roles that have always been there-if anything,there are more people in media fighting those roles than ever. at least now it's ''gay is okay'' ''strong single mom''-not just ''don't you wish you could get your man his slippers and his beer at the same time?''

• ahhh OK, so you think after all I said id follow what the media says?

and they obviously don't do it directly... but anyways,

im talking about the medias influence TODAY. not gender roles. I would have asked about gender roles if I wanted to..

• that influence you see in the media ARE established gender roles.

• I think it is to a certain extent, but at the same time, if you're easily influenced, than it might be harder for some to turn their back and just not care. Personally, if you're willingly feeding in to all this bs that's being said about women or men and what's considered the social norm, from looks, to social status, stability, whatever it is., then you're ignorant. Period. Point. Blank. We all have the greatest gift that god could have ever given us, and that's a mind of our own. Conformity is at an all time high. And obviously we know ourselves better than anyone else right, so why would we let someone dictate what's right or wrong or how we should live our lives? A lot of people are feeding into it though. It's pretty sad..

• No

Gender roles existed before the media became popular or took over.

I think people online spend too mug time placing some unknown blame on the media.

• yeah I know that

but that isn't my question...the media does influence our gender roles today... I'm talking about today

this isn't really an unknown issue... our world is saturated with media influence...

• People only give as much power to the media as they want, like words.

• yes the put the standards way to high.

• They are much harder on women

• i think that media is not the problem, its us for accepting whatever they show us as perfect