Women are the uglier sex, appearance wise, do you agree?

In a recent discussion with some friends of mine, someone said that women are the uglier sex, appearance wise. They meant that men don't usually wear makeup, so they can't do much to change the way they look. So if you see a guy who is super hot, then you know he's naturally that hot. But with women, it's different. The majority of women use makeup, and they use it to enhance or completely change their features. Usually when the makeup comes off, the girl looks a bit different, maybe not as hot as before.

I pretty much agree with this statement when it comes to me. I don't really wear makeup, unless I'm going out in the evening, and when I do put it on, I think I look quite different :o

• Yeah, I agree
  • Nope, I disagree
  • I just want to see the answers :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it's about the gender, but the expectations society puts on certain genders. I think those expectations go back to primal things where the man is the provider and the female attracts the mate and has physical traits that suggest optimal childbirth and care.

For guys, it's acceptable to have imperfections in your face and stubble because you can still have "rugged good looks"...in fact I bet if a guy worries too much about his face and overall appearance he'd be labeled as a nancy boy/metrosexual. All these stuff I hear about how "manly" it is to have a bushy beard and not having a strict skin care regimen basically encourages you to not care about your appearance so much.

For girls, it seems you can't pull off any cellulite or discoloration in the face without people taking note. Most of the lowest blows you can deal to a girl involve insulting her appearance or weight, and they always take offense. What's really sad? I saw an ad for teeth whitening with some woman narrator saying: "He's the father of your children, your husband, your soulmate...but first, he has to say hello"...so if you don't have white enough teeth he's not going to want you?Those kind of messages infiltrate the female mind even in a minor subconscious way.

What Guys Said 40

• Men are uglier. We are built for performance, not to attract a penis.

Make-up has nothing to do with genetics.

• Women have ruined themselves through makeup and actually trying to look better. Due to the fact that the vast majority of women do wear makeup, men notice a lot more when a woman is not wearing makeup. It's not that woman are uglier, it's just that we're not used to it. If most woman didn't wear makeup, it would be just the opposite, we'd find the woman without makeup more attractive and the women with makeup on would be the not normal looking group.

• No. Guys are less good looking, but that difference or gap is not that great once the enhancement products ( make up, form fitting clothes, hair products etc) are taken out of the equation

• Nope, I've seen a lot of hilarious looking guys... I've seen women who aren't attractive, but not to the extent were I'm trying not to laugh. Like I'm not a mean person, but with some people I can't help it. There are a lot of attractive women about, I wouldn't consider that many guys to be good looking guys... Most of them look like average people.

• It's social suicide with most girls if I would happen to agree with this, so I'm just gonna have to say no.

• I'd say the average woman is considered more physically attractive than the average male. Makeup etc may play a role in that. But it seems like women see relatively little difference between above average and below average looks - they only view a small number of men as really good looking.

• Women are definitely the more beautiful gender... their hair and feminine features. It has to do with the eye of the beholder, men will think women are the more beautiful gender because that's usually what men are attracted to women.

And it's the same for women, women will think that men are the more beautiful gender because that's usually what women are attracted to. Men see the beauty in women and realize their appeal but the women may not know their own appeal, same with men.

That is my view anyway.

• I don't know what it's like everywhere else but the girls here aren't very good-looking. The majority of them let their weight get out-of-line and then it doesn't matter how much make-up they wear.

• I think there is a higher requirement for women compared to men

like guys want a girl to have an hour glass figure, insert random trait, etc...

the criteria for guy is generally - don't be fat, have your teeth and nothing too abnormal and you are okay lol

PS what's up :D

• women have boobs. What's not to like

• the truth in this is so real and honest, but what about those fat boob guys or the implanted transexuals or the ones that take in female hormones to grow a nice pair of t*ts?

Who has boobs these days is getting a bit shady.

• well none of those are actually boobs. Real boobs produce milk. Man t*ts dont, tranny t*ts can't

• As a male I'm biased. However I think the argument about makeup falls flat. It's like arguing that expense homes are more ugly than cheap homes because the expensive ones require nicer furniture! Woman are expected to be more beautiful than men by society. Makeup is part of making attractive people look better rather than to make ugly people look okay.

• Look how debonair I am with makeup link You can't even tell that I have turquoise eyes or a shaved head. =P All mocking aside, I think women are sexy, guys don't have the same effect on me.

• I like women with or without makeup.. to be quite honest.. make up never made a big difference for me in terms of how I saw a woman..

To be honest the whole question doesn't make any sense.. I am a straight guy.. I only get attracted to women.. how can I rate guys of they are ugly or not ? at the end of the day the word ugly or hot relates to attractiveness .. if I can't find males attractive then the question is meaningless.

I think the real enemy of women is that men look to women primarily for beauty.. while women look to men for confidence, success , wealth and ofcourse beauty. Both men and women age equally.. but men tend to hold the other elements of attraction better .

My advice to women is to be healthy and fit , and develop an attractive personality.. that way .. he will want to grow old with you and will see beauty in being around you when you are 20 or when you are 80.

• No way I don't care how straight you are lady. If you see men as more beautiful than a woman you are crazy. I have no problem admitting another man is attractive I will openly say it. There are plenty of male celebrities that are hot (i'm 100 percent straight I promise lol) but in comparison to the hottest female celebrities they are nothing. I used celebrities because its fair, both genders wear tons of make up.

But the reason men look great without makeup, and some women don't is because that is what is expected. The image society has given to each gender is the cause of this. If women stopped wearing make up, after it became the norm people would find the natural beauty and accept it, and they would still be the more attractive sex.

• Women are f***ing beautiful, so no I don't agree lol

• I think women can really get away with hiding certain flaws with makeup and wearing the right clothes whereas men are restricted in that sense. Every fella has had the situation where you see the nice looking lady at the pub, she's all dolled up and looking good... then you see her again at the end of the night and its like... ohhh god.

• In that sense, yeah; I agree.

• I'd say it depends on which sex you are attracted to. Of course I'd pick women but I'm a guy.

• Comparing a hot guy with no make up and an equally hot women with no make up I would say that the women looks more beautiful more alluring. Beauty is something which is more associated with women I believe it is more intrinsic to them. A man is like more ugly but women have big beautiful eyes, smile better and are more curvy.

• Womanly wiles...let me put it this way.. I hate being lied to and I know you do also. Perfect example is jeans... but damn it's a nice looking booty when it is shaped by a really good pair of jeans but when they come off... Make-up is different if used to enhance rather than to cover.. vast difference there.

• No. Boobs are your trump card.

• It's specific to the individual. There are plenty of naturally beautiful girls just like there are naturally beautiful guys.

• Women don't age well, I'll put it that way. But, for a brief period of a woman's life, they absolutely look better than men.

• My mum is almost 40 and we wear the same clothes. People think I'm her sister. My great aunt looks like she could be my mum. I think women age fine if they live a healthy lifestyle

• Not even close do I agree. Especially our society. We value female beauty more. But that's basically societal. Back in the ancient days male physique was more appreciated.

• Even I (the reputed King of Misogyny) do not agree with this :P

Women with or without makeup (even moreso without makeup) tend to look better than men.

• Very much disagree.

• strongly disagree

• depends if a woman is FIT then she is much more attractive than most men if she has extra weight most men can beat her because they just get fatter quicker plus overweight guys can still look normally attractive wheres overweight women its wayy harder for them to look attractive normally...

blus women age MUCH worse than men

• I strongly disagree

• Some guys where make-up to. Don't let them full you, lol.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 21

• I don't think either sex is "uglier", there are pretty and ugly people of both sexes. So I disagree.

While yes, women wear makeup and although makeup can make some women look better, I don't think it has THAT much of an effect on the general beauty of a woman, especially when it's applied correctly, it just enhances that beauty (in MOST cases).

Anyway, I voted B, but not because I think men are the "uglier sex" but because I don't think either sex is "ugly" in general.

• thank you! :D

• tsk tsk, what a rude thing for a "newbie" to say. Comments removed

• Meh, I think it's the same account that was harassing me before they got deleted, I guess she's back now. Oh well, haters gonna hate I guess :)

• No I think women are better looking. We were designed to be beautiful. Sure we're not as pretty as we let on we are with the use of make-up. But make-up is supposed to just enhance the good features and tone down the negative. You can't change your looks. Yeah when you see a gorgeous guy you know he's not using makeup to create any illusions but I've only met about 5 gorgeous men in my life and I see about 5 gorgeous women daily without having to turn on the tv. Attraction is a different story. As a straight female I'm attracted to the rough edge of men. The rough edge in beauty terms is not a good thing but beauty doesn't get me horny.

• you're comparing the woman without makeup to the woman with makeup,not men. we look very similar,except for how expressed some features are-and those features don't make us uglier-straight men prefer those features,straight women prefer the masculine features.

• False, most women I see are quite attractive WITHOUT makeup. F***makeup! It just hides your flaws and natural beauty which is why its interpreted as a mask.

Only low confidence girls wear makeup.

• It actually exposes your flaws (i.e. it shows how insecure you are)...

• Depends on the girl. I have low confidence and I don't wear make up because I know it won't work. I look ugly with or without make up, so there is no point. I just keep myself thin and hope it helps... it doesn't.

• So I'm guessing all the girls who have low self esteem voted me down huh, your ego must hurt! oooo.

• I disagree. Women tend to have more of the features that are considered desirable by both sexes. Smooth skin, nice hair, long eyelashes, boobs, and women tend to have fuller lips. All that in a women without makeup.

• Generally women can hold extra weight more gracefully and personally I just think they are the more beautiful of the genders. But I think men are amazing for other things and a fit man (not ripped even just healthy) is beautiful to me but I think women can hold their beauty more even if they're older or chubby. Just my personally opinion. I'm thinking more body wise though, facially wise I'd say it is even.

• No. I'm above gorgeous without my makeup.

No. I really think it depends. Because its really based on the soul issue of preference. If person A thinks one guy is attractive, person B could think he is completely repulsive. In terms of just overall appearance, woman do put more effort I think yes, but I think girls alter their natural features and such by the way they do make up or so on. Some girls use make up to conceal more of the problems they have, because they know they can later apply makeup too it. While as guys don't have that mentality. I really think its the same since some people are just naturally beautiful, but of course seeing some girls one second and then the next bare faced it can alter our perception of beauty.

• That would be based off of opinion, its really the way you yourself sees it I can tell you I disagree, however you might disagree with my opinion, Every woman is different. some are ugly some are nice lookin and weather or not theyre ugly or pretty or pretty ugly is your opinion.

• Disagree. Natural looking women are only viewed as being uglier because men are getting used to seeing women with make-up. So the standard for women is rising. That is a problem, but women are not uglier than men.

• i don't wear makeup ! but I kinda agree. a good amount of women wear makeup that drastically changes their appearance so much that friends can't recognize them without their mask on.

• I'm pretty fugly to be fair

• Well unless its plastic surgery like breast implants, botox, tummy tuck rhinoplasty, I can understand this statement, I know that older women in their 40s and up maybe in their 30s dye their hair because its turning gray but if they could I'm pretty sure they could get plastic surgery however I have seen some f***ed up people who abused plastic surgery like joan rivers and janice d***ison, However I would like to say that makeup enhances beauty not creates it, so if you are ugly or if you think you are ugly makeup is not going to change that. Also, male celebs and male actors do wear makeup too.

• Blake Lively is the only exception to this rule I have seen her on gossip girl and she had her hair all frizzy and messy I guess her hairstylist didn't want to brush it and she still looked pretty. I have seen that bitch without makeup. F***ing gorgeous. I don't wear makeup but I still get hit on

• I strongly disagree!

• I don't agree with that at all. Women are better looking.

• They're uglier

• False

• Highly disagree

• I don't know if I agree with this or not. I see what you're saying, but with some women (like me) make up really doesn't help. A lot of women are pretty, but then look even more gorgeous with make up.

I'm an extremely ugly girl, and I've gone for so many different makeovers to try and help. People are rather rude to me. This isn't just low self esteem talking. I've been told to my face how ugly I am. I go to professional make up artists to look better, and I don't. So I think there are some women, it doesn't matter how much make up they put on, they are still ugly.

So while men can only really work out to improve their appearance, I don't think make up makes that much difference for women. I don't think either gender is the uglier one. Make up can only do so much.

• It's pretty rare to see makeup make THAT big of a difference. It's usually only celebrities :-P

The average woman doesn't look that different, makeup vs no makeup.

I don't think they're uglier than men, but they're usually less natural, that's true.

I barely wear makeup at all, I hate it, haha!

But I do look better with a little on, so I will wear it when I need to look my best. It's the same reason we keep our hair washed and styled or wear clean clothes... it's simply to appear clean and well put together. If someone is slovenly all the time, it actually does say something about the kind of person they are, sadly.

• I think it depends on the individual. Women wear makeup and play up their looks because men value beauty more than any other trait, almost to the exclusion of other traits.

• Many mne value beauty... however some like me go for personality. Every loses beauty with age but who you are doesn't :)

• no, women wear make up because we're held to different standards,

it's like how a beard can be very sexy on a man but always hideous on a women, delicate slender arms are extremely attractive on women but extremely unattractive on men.

...because women and men are trying to achieve different beauty ideals, men are expected to look strong, rugged and fierce which make up won't help with, while, women are expected to look young, delicate and have impossibly flawless skin which make up does help with,