Accidentally looked at a red laser pointer...should I get worried?

y prof accidentally shined her red pointer at me. She was about 2 meters away from me but I kind of looked at the laser for a few seconds. Will I get permanent eye damage? I'm worried

Most Helpful Guy

• From Wikipedia: "Studies have found that even low-power laser beams of not more than 5 mW can cause permanent retinal damage if gazed at for several seconds; however, the eye's blink reflex makes this highly unlikely. Such laser pointers have reportedly caused afterimage, flashblindness and glare, but not permanent damage, and are generally safe when used as intended."

So, it is highly unlikely that you will suffer any permanent damage--you would either blink or turn your head long before any real damage could occur. Red laser pointers are almost always of the low power type (5 mW or less). Green laser pointers, however, can be much stronger and are therefore more dangerous. You don't have to worry...

What Guys Said 16

• Depends on the strength of the laser pen but chances are you will be fine.

Quick, cheap test:

Can you see?

Yes - you fine. Daym.

No - get your ass to a doctor

• No, the chances are very low... It's only a warning for idiots who'll stick it right into their eye for hours in hope of eye damage and compensation... Industrial lasers though...

• The person using the lazer pointer should be aware of it at all times and who's around them. If you say right away that it went in your eye they should relize the mistake say sorry and be more carefull.

Your eyes can take some short term damage and heal from it.

• You should be fine it was probbly not for a prolonged period of time and really those lasers are pretty minor compared to some more powerful ones. If you're scared though your best bet would be to talk to an eye doctor they are more qualified to answer the question.

• I think you'll be fine. But if I were you I'd go buy some pencils and a tin cup just in case.

• I'm pretty sure you'll be ok.

• if you had to give an estimate on how sure you are, what percentage would you give? maybe 74% sure?

• Actually...77.234321% sure. Calculating for the gravitational pull of the laser.

• if you haven't noticed anything yet you should be OK. :)

• I've done it lots of time as a child.

It probably explains why I have bad eye sight. But nothing pre scripted contacts couldn't solve.

• If you still have vison currently, no reason to worry! However your instructor should be more careful

• simply go up to him and say, politely, that he shined a pointer in your eye.

If anything, she will be apologetic, since I can't imagine she would damage you purposely. or sit at the rear of the class next time.

• You should be fine, if its a normal laser pointer it shouldn't be bad.

• Yes, a sniper is about to blow your head off. Get down!

• I'm pretty sure you'll be fine

• You will be fine it was only a few seconds.

• You will be fine.

• Doubtful. I think you'll be ok.

What Girls Said 3

• if it was only for a few seconds then your safe girl

• Some guy shined one in eyes in middle school and it made my vision blurry for a few hours. I don't know if that ruined my eyes but I wear glasses now. I only need them for distance though

• I worry about this too but the red scanner at the supermarket