Why do girls have to wear tight or revealing clothing? Why can't men wear it?

Whenever a girl asks a question on here and links a picture to an article of clothing, the vast majority of people will say they don't like it if they see that its not revealing nor tight. Anything that's both loose and covers a lot of skin isn't considered stylish. Meanwhile, guys can be stylish with neither tight or revealing clothing. Why is that?

Up until recently its been the women that wore loose clothing and men who wore the tighter fitted clothing. Just think of the tights that men used to wear. Women wore also wore more layers. There are more layers to a Woman's kimono than a Man's kimono.

This can be seen nearly everywhere in the world up until a point. Even when you look at the more tribal cultures, the women wear more clothing than the men. Not too long ago, speedos were acceptable for men to wear, and one pieces and the two-pieces worn by women were high waisted and covered their bottom completely, but now men wear such long swimming trunks and barely any women wear one-pieces even if it flatters their figure better. I posted a question with only one-piece swimsuits and everyone said their were ugly and recommended bikinis instead.

So why is it all of a sudden that its not considered feminine for women to wear loose clothing that doesn't reveal much?

Does anyone wish that fashion could go back to the way it was in the way that women were covered up and it was actually the men who showed off more of their figures?

Most Helpful Guy

• Men like seeing women in a sexual way. I would guess that it used to be women covered up more for the same reason women are required to wear a niqab in some countries today - so they wouldn't look good. They were being treated as possessions to be hidden away.

Men would wear revealing clothing today if it had the impact on women that revealing clothing on women has on men.

What Guys Said 7

• I haven't witness this phenomenon on here. I see people who are critical of stuff they don't find appealing, but rarely do I see people saying it's not revealing or tight enough... Second of all, you can wear whatever you want, no one is stopping you. Imagine if you actually had to amount to something and put in work to attract the opposite sex, rather then just trying to attract them with your looks. Woe is me, life is so hard isn't it...

• First of all the question is not about me so why don't you stop attacking my character. Its a fact that both loose and non-revealing clothing is considered unattractive by society (at least those in their 30's and younger).

Go look back on some of the questions about dresses and bathing suits and you'll see what I mean. Its hard to not notice it. If you need links I will supply them.

• You can post a question about a dress that looks exactly the same. Same details, same fabric same colors, but if one is more tighter and revealing most people will always say its better.

link

But I see you want to deny facts so take your trolling elsewhere

• Only women are rated on their sex appeal in terms of their clothing, for the most part, especially in the US. You'll see Italian guys in tight clothes, but here in the US you'll be labeled as gay if you try that.

That's why guys here don't go in for speedos so much..you'll see them much more in Europe.

• No one HAS to wear anything. And in fact, when choosing your outfit, you should think about what you're trying to accomplish. Trying to land a job, or make a sale or give a presentation would require a different outfit than you'd use if you're trying to attract a mate or if you're trying to cheer for your favorite sports team.

• Duh, of course no one HAS to. Please reread my details.

I'm saying why is it not in style for women to wear loose clothing that doesn't show a lot of skin and not in stylish or masculine for men to wear tight or revealing clothing? Its been the opposite of that up until just recently.

• I wasn't talking about you, specifically. "You" as used in my comment above is synonymous with "one." How did you miss that point?

• you are referring to an individual, I'm talking about society so you missed the point either way

• This is a good question.

I agree with the guy who said "Men would wear revealing clothing today if it had the impact on women that revealing clothing on women has on men." That explains the difference. But I still don't know why women like to wear (relatively) revealing clothing.

• speedos are still use in large numbers in Europe and south America

• Men can't wear it because we are ugly. No women would want too see that much of the male body

• i don't know about form fitting but the reason why men don't show a lot of skin is because men don't shave certain areas that women do and I highly doubt you want to see those areas all the time (or at all)

also, it's not that men lost control of it, it's that women took over them.

victorias secret was a store originally meant for men. it was meant to help men find clothes for their woman that otherwise would be too tough to pick out. women just sort of took over the store and now men won't even go in. the original store had a deers head over it, representing men.

heels were also originally meant only for men. the very first heel ever made was for a man (a king) who ordered his shoemaker to make him a shoe (the heel) to make him taller because he believed he was too short. women, just like with v.s. took over the idea of the heel. Have you ever seen a straight man wear one? no, because women took it over!

What Girls Said 2

• Women are more sexualized in our society. More revealing clothing began in the 1920s as a rebellion against Victorian rules of style and conduct, and intensified as part of the 1960s counterculture. So more revealing clothing styles were kind of part of the women's liberation movement, that their sexuality doesn't have to be repressed.

Really I think everybody, men or women, should just wear whatever they're comfortable in or suits their style.

• i hate girls wearing too revealing dresses. I love simple and ordinary girls who doesnot need to show their ass to feel girly