How do I break the ice with someone?

i hate developing interesting in someone without talking to them first. it makes it so much harder to talk to them. I haven't had that happen in a long time but unfortunately its happening.

there's this guy I can't stop thinking about who's in one of my classes. at first, I kind of disliked him. he seemed like douche. but I don't really know him, so I'm not sure. I don't have a crush By the way. its more like an attraction thing. he sits across from me in class. and I can see from the corner of my eye that he is always looking over at me during the lecture. at first I was annoyed. like wtf! I hate being stared at. I would get a bit embarrassed so I would act like I didn't notice so I'd just take notes and ignore the situation or I would look down a lot and he just smiles and laughs to himself.

sometimes when I walk by him during our lab, he walks by really close and just looks at my eyes. other times, he looks down at the floor. and one time, I was going to say excuse me because he was in my way and before I did, he quickly walked the other way and started talking to his lab partner.

im not sure if he's single. he has this female friend in the class and last time they were talking about this girl he was dating. he clearly stated, "she was ____, " and all that stuff. that is past tense so maybe he's single now? ha ha idk.

i think there's tension building up and I hate situations like this because then I get nervous and I get all clumsy and shy and it gets even more difficult to get to know the guy. I'm starting to gain some interest in this guy and I want to get to know him but I don't know what to say. we're not even lab partners so what would be my excuse to talk to him? or what do I do when he looks at me during the lecture? I get nervous so I can't look at him when he looks at me. my impulse is to pretend its not happening. but I don't want him to think I'm a stuck up bitch or I'm playing hard to get. I'm just really shy and socially awkward.

Most Helpful Guy

• Say something to him.

• like what? I can say hi but I don't know what to say after that.

and what if he thinks I'm an idiot?

• Thanks for BA

• no problem. :D

What Guys Said 3

• You're a girl. You've got a major advantage over every guy on earth. If we can do it, so can you.

On a side note, I've never really adhered to being smooth when breaking the ice. Smooth doesn't break the ice... An epic belly flop breaks the ice. Do something bold, ridiculous or simply memorable.

• thats true. I asked a guy to hang out a few months ago and it wasn't too bad. he didn't like me back, but its OK. since guys get rejected, so can i. so initiating conversation with someone should be a bit easier than that right?

haha I am pretty clumsy. lately, I've been at my worst. I keep bumping into walls and tables.

• well, to update, every time he passes by, I end up doing something stupid. One time I burned my finger with a match, and another time I almost dropped a flask because he was looking a me . its getting pretty dangerous in there for me. :D

• If he isn't going to talk to you, then you have to talk to him. Or spill some water from a beaker on his shoes by accident or some other thingto force a conversation, because it sounds like he's just a nervous as you.

• we don't use water in our labs. well, at least not the ones we have been doing. we are currently using sulfuric acid. I don't want to hurt him. haha

is there something I can say, other than hello? I feel like I can at least say hello but I don't know what else to say.

• you're a girl. any attention you give a guy will make the guy:

feelgood.jpg

• really? even a simple glance? I never figured out what to do when he stares at me. my head want's to look at him but my neck doesn't want to allow it to turn around.

What Girls Said 0