How can I look/appear older?

Basically...I'm 20. But I am constantly asked "Oh, are you skipping school today?" or people will talk to me as if I am a child. It's not like I'm mistaken as a 16 year old. I am mistaken as a 12, 13, or 14 year old. The first few times, it's a little funny, but when it's constant, it's extremely annoying. This obviously makes it difficult for dating as well. I want to be taken more seriously.

I don't want to look old. I simply want to look my age. Is there anything I can do to my physical appearance to make me appear more "age appropriate"?

Most Helpful Girl

• I looked at your pictures and you look 20 to me. But I noticed in some of your pictures you do dress more like a young teen (13-15). For example, that hat picture. People will assume you're younger if you dress immature, so watch out for that. Start dressing mature. Not like an old lady, but it's time to retire hats like that or graphic t shirts etc. Skinny jeans, knee high boots, a plain tank top and a cardigan is a good simple fall outfit that looks put together and mature. Aside from that, you can learn to do your makeup if you don't wear it already. Other things can make you look younger too. I'm short (5') and people always ask me what grade I'm in while I'm almost done university. So things like that make you look younger but you just can't change it.

• Thank you. I don't normally wear hats like that, haha! I was with an exchange student and she wanted to take a photo with them (we were at a store). I don't normally wear make-up, so maybe I can start trying to wear it a little more often. Also, I'm 5'2, so that could be the problem as well. Thanks! :)

• yeah, like I said some things just can't be changed. I get it all the time too and it is annoying especially when I get approached by high school guys but not my own age. We'll be grateful when we're older lol.

• Yeah, that's what I'm told! "You'll be happy when you're 40."

What Guys Said 3

• Try wearing horn-rimmed glasses and a fake mustache, or even a big fake nose.

• put on some fake wrinkle make up and dye your hair gray and wear big reading glasses. And a moomoo.

• smoke...when I was 16 I smoked wore clothes that a man who had style would wear and had a confident persona about me

i usually got people asking me to buy them cigarettes and booze I could walk into almost every gas station and buy booze or cigarettes w/o being carded...

• That's...terrible advice. LOL no offense. Smoking makes you age in a bad way. I don't want to ruin my life and look older in the bad way. I want to look more my age. Plus, it ruins your breath. Definitely not a route I'd want to take. ^^;

• idk man you look older and it gives you cigarette breath not stinky gross breath

What Girls Said 8

• When you hit 30, you'll find it a complement! I'm 31 and people still think I'm 22! It's a complement to my husband. My voice is also quite young as well. It HAS bothered me especially in my career when most think I'm still in college or at the start. It's a complement at the end of the day! Think 30 when you're 50!

• Second thought...The first picture you have with the glasses, you could pass as 20. Same with the last one. It really boils down to how you act. In the picture with you with the mouse hats, you girls looked like you were being silly and youthful. I think it's best to do that in places where you are in a safe environment and not at work where people will think you are young and immature.

I have a young voice, look young and have much energy. I can act a bit silly sometimes but see that it's no fun when done at work. People think you've got a disorder.

I'm just youthful in my approach but my mind is quite up to scratch with life and doing things professionally. Once again, protect yourself from people who don't have a good thing to say about you..

• I get mistaken for being much older, something I dislike sometimes, because I feel old. I am only 21, but what you can do is wear heels, make up, shorter hair (if you have long hair: curl it), conservative clothes, improve your posture, act mature.. etc :)

• Thank you. :) Would you say (pertaining to my hair) bangs or no bangs? I've been debating on whether or not to keep my side-swept bangs that I current have, grow my bangs out, or get straight down bangs? Also, I don't think you look older, you look your age I think. You're very pretty. :)

• why would you want to look older? Are you trying to date an older guy? You look older than 20 already.

• Really? I've never gotten that I look older. I think I already explained why I want to look older in my question.

• Your fine the way you are and a lot of people take younger kids seriously when they are mature and act like adults.

• I think I act maturely, but thanks anyway. ^^;

• I have people that look at me and think I'm in my 20s or 30s and I'm only 18. The only thing I can say is just be proud you look younger than what you are think of it as a complement :)

• You look 18 on your user pic?

• It happens to me all the time, but I'm so happy lol because when I'm 30 ill look much younger so yup wohooooo

• Mature behavior...