Girls, why do you wear makeup?

Yep, I have to ask. Of course I have my own personal opinion on makeup as a whole. I see it as fake, a mask, unrealistic and something to laugh at- especially the hole 'natural look'- where's the 'nature' in covering your face in a ton of makeup to get it to look like your wearing none at all?

Well than. That's my cynical approach to makeup and why I dislike it...very much.

When I ask my sisters and friends why they wear it, I receive the usual (rather generic) answers of "its fun" "i enjoy it" and my personal favorite, "why do you care? It's none of your business"

Now my question to you ladies, why DO you wear it? Is it for security? If so, where's the security in knowing that isn't your real face once its all washed off at home. Is it to highlight your features and make them stand out? Again. They won't be standing out so much when you get home. I may sound like I am criticizing and judging, but that is not my intention. I really do speak like this all the time, so please take as minimal offence as possible.

So, enlighten me, I am thoroughly curious.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm generally in the same boat as you- I don't get the idea of NEEDING makeup to look beautiful, how can putting stuff on your face that actually ages you be good for your appearance? I'm sort of a come as you are kind of person- pretty straight up. I think I should be happy with the face I was born with and I generally am.

But I do wear makeup now and again- mostly for special occasions where it's expected (weddings, formal dinners etc.), job interviews (for some reason it's simply considered professional for women), and every now and then when I feel like playing around with make up. That's just mostly to see what it can do because, I'll be honest, it can definitely high light your features. But a lot of make up for me is mascara, eye shadow, and lip gloss. That's pretty much all I wear, ever and day to day, I'm usually natural. I don't like how makeup feels on my face and I like to think I'm pretty without it most of the time. (Except when I'm sick or tired, then I just look, well, sick or tired lol).

What Guys Said 2

• It. Is. Fun!

• I don't like make up on girls faces but some of tham look better with. :D

I don't know : p

What Girls Said 10

• hmm, interesting take. I do agree with you to some extent. I'm all for natural beauty. I never wore makeup till the 10th grade and when I do it is VERY minimal. I wear it nicely on occasions tho=]

for me, makeup is not about security. its about enhancement. I'm not offended by this question because makeup isn't something I do a lot of. but yeh for me its about highlighting the things that id like to stand out. examples. I like my eyes to stand out because iv been blessed with their color:) and id like my skin to glow because iv been blessed with tanned skin so I like to give it a bit of shine. lips, well, to make them shiny:)

but yeh seriously all ill ever do if I'm very bothered is eyeliner and some bronzer on my face, with neutral lipstick.

:) have you ever worn makeup?

• Once. It as a terrible experience. My sister's wedding actually, because I was her bridesmaid I was literally FORCED to go to get myself done-up and such. I didn't mind the hair, but when I saw my face with makeup on...I started crying. Like a baby. In front of the whole salon. I demanded some wet ones and got to wiping off as much as I could. It wasn't ugly makeup, I just hated how...perfect and flawless I looked. It wasn't me, I wasn't comfortable and anyone within a 10 mile radius could tell :/

• i see.

u know what? I love that your not a fan of the perfect and flawless look. you like to keep it real. I'm like that too. I like people too see who I really am so they don't get surprised later on. I'm guessing that minimal makeup wouldn't bother you tho, bridesmaid makeup is a different story altogether haha. :)

• I only like to wear makeup as an art thing, and sometimes skin stuff. I put a face lotion on before I go to bed because I have sensititive dry skin and will pay if I don't. I also put on a different one in the morning because it has sunscreen in it, and hello, skin cancer. The other makeup I sometimes wear is things like my lime green eyeliner. I wear them because it's just another way to express myself. Makeup is at the point where it's like clothes. You can wear it to express yourself, and the other things like concealer are like pushup bras. People can tell when you're wearing it, but it doesn't matter. You wear a top that makes you look really hot, and then one that's unflattering the next day. People aren't like, where did your waist go? They understand that we all more or less alter present ourselves everyday. Somedays we want to look like this, somedays we look like something else. As long as everybody realizes that everyone has a different face underneath makeup, and let's it out too, it's not a big deal to me. On a sidenote, makeup can show that you care, like getting dolled up for a first date shows the guy you think this is important,and putting on some light professional makeup for a big interview shows you're serious about it.

• For me, it's to cover up my imperfections and dirtiness. So, I guess, it's an insecurity thing for me. I also think it looks really pretty when you dress up and then just do the smokey eye look, so sometimes to highlight my features.But, I mean, it's not really just about the makeup, for me. It's about the whole look..doing my hair, my makeup, finding the right outfit. I dunno, I guess, when I wear makeup I don't feel like I look so monstrous (lol idk).

• I can agree on that I suppose, sometimes it does take that little extra bit to complete an outfit..however, what's your take on someone who wears the 'heavy' look constantly? like everyday to school perhaps?

• I was actually one of those people who would wear the heavy look. lol (I admit, it was a bit much). I think they're probably a bit insecure (I mean, of course, some people just are really into that kind of style). But, just going off my own reasons, it was always because I not only wanted people to avoid me, but also so I looked perfect (I would coat on like 10 layers of cover up and have like the raccoon look - I just wanted to cover it up, 'ya know?).

• I mean, one guy even told me I looked like a barbie doll, which I know wasn't a compliment, but that was probably one of the best things somebody has ever told me. lol 'Cause in my mind, he was telling me I was perfect, 'ya know?

• Because above average with makeup>>>average without makeup

Most girls look average to below average without makeup.

Few girls can rock the natural look.

• Ok, well if this is the case, than who are they wearing it for- themselves? Guys? I guess it confuses me on the grounds that it is an illusion, makeup that is. If they feel so "above average" with makeup, won't it just lower their self esteem further and further to the point where they are confident they have NO physical appeal without it? If anything (when it gets to this stage) regardless of how make-up looks or feels on a girl, wouldn't it be healthier to not wear it at all

• Every girl has different reasons...

• Of course, no two people think alike, but I suppose since you gave the ratios of average to beautiful in make-up terms, I was looking for your personal insight, if you have one :)

• I don't like make up too, prefer natural.

Couple of reasons girls do that..work requirements, used to it since their younger days, to match their clothes, cover their flaws, insecurity.

My friend told me that if one dresses nicely but don't put on makeup it seem 'not balance'

• I uses mascara though during work, other than that I prefer nothing on my face except sunblock

• In winter I look gaunt and sick without makeup. I only use minimal makeup, but if I can hide blemishes and make good things stand out, why not? Would you think wearing clothes that cover up problem areas are fake too?

• well, clothes are clothes ha ha I guess they have to be worn but you do make a point in that sense ;D

• Makeup helps us feel pretty, especially when we are hormonal and get bad skin.

• I don't wear makeup. What you see is what you get lolololol. I don't like fakeness!

• It evens out my skin and makes my eyes stand out. It makes me feel extra pretty. It gives me confidence when I break out around the time of my period.

• I like how my face looks after I've been tanning, but in winter or days when I can't get outside for long, I still like that sun kissed look (well liked* because I don't wear make up anymore) I used to do foundation (when I had acne), powder, bronzer, blush, contouring, highlighting, etc. I was good at it and got lessons from my friend in cosmetology school so it looked good, not fake.. for some reason it looks really incomplete doing face make up without the eyes. There's nothing natural about the eyes, it just enhances them and makes them look bright wider and gets rid of the tired look... basically makeup is to make you look healthy and like you get outside... ha ha so maybe just do that instead... but for minor imperfections and to enhance your features, a little make up helps. I don't wear make up anymore because of all the chemicals and I'm too lazy and poor to buy some natural stuff, but I plan to... for now I just use chapstick:) and eat healthy and get out in the sun.. oh also moisturizing face oils