Why do kids these days look older than they really are?

Oh my saw this guy at church the other day for the first time as I went to a different service than normal. He was in the band and I was like that is my future hubby. I guessed him to be early 20's so a little young but still not so bad. He came off the stage and sat with the high school crowd. I felt ridiculous. Why do kids look so much older these days?

Most Helpful Guy

• May be he really was little older but still did not finish school (or came back to finish)?

However I tend to agree with you, in general. While one can go one and put blame of genes, I think it has to do with this age of technology. Young generation is spending too much with laptops and mobiles and don't know what other things. Just 20 years ago, the world was a lot different.

Earlier young people had different ways of entertainment and work activities. Physical activities were more common and appreciated. So yes, I think you can put some (or rather most) of the blame on technology.

What Guys Said 13

• We are too overstimulated and become stressed. Being forced to study and do hours of homework, challenging AP classes, sports, clubs, jobs, community service, standardized testing, chores, college preparation and we don't have time to do anything fun. All while running on 5 hours a sleep a day.

I've been told multiple times that I look like I'm 20-22.

• i loved standardized testing ! I placed top in the nation in the English part every year and california gave me lots of money for it *sigh* those were the days... sleep is so important, 5hours isn't enough !

• My senior year of high school was the first year they introduced the standardized testing in California. For whatever reason, the senior class had to take the test but was exempt from scoring (I think because they lacked a previous year's baseline to judge performance). So I deliberately wrote one essay totally off topic about how it was a waste of my time to take the test... and I still placed in the mid-80-ish percentile. That really cracked me up.

• Genetics. I'm the opposite. I look young.

• A lot of it has to do with genetics, stress, lack of sleep, and other things. I remember when I was in 8th grade grew a complete beard.

• When I was around 16 I had to wear a business suit to school, and whenever I wore my overcoat people thought I was a teacher xD

• It depends on the person. I know a girl who is like 25 who looks like she can't be a day older than 15! I guess its genetics

• They always have, puppetry is but a stage.

• It's crazy, right? I see a girl with huge t*ts and a nice ass, only to find out she's 16. Definitely chemicals in the food.

• lol I know what you mean. what did he look like?

please answer mine: tittled what did me mum mean?

• I look younger than I am. Advantage or not... I think it's the genetics. My whole family has this young looking thing.

Go and ask him what's his menu and see if he eats only junk food and chemicals.

• Probably the horrible food with all the chemicals and hormones they put in them

• Steroids and hormone chemicals in food .

• It's the growth hormones they put in livestock these days to make them grow faster for higher profit margins. Residual hormones are in the meat that we eat, and it's made children grow faster and hit puberty sooner. The average start of puberty is more than a year earlier than it was in the 50's (or so my science teacher claimed).

• From what I've seen the guy look younger than their age and the girls look older than their age.

What Girls Said 12

• I think it all ties to (as one person said), genetics. I look younger than I am

and my parents do to and so do some of my other relatives. I guess it's just

in the persons genes, some look older and some look younger. Also, there

are those people that try to make themselves looker older or younger (but,

I think that's something women are more likely to do. Though, I'm sure there's

men who do that too) . Also, there was a guy who worked at the store once

and he had this beard and I thought he had to be at 28. Turns out, he was 19 lol.

He was legal, so it wasn't that big of a deal. But, I was surprised (but, I suck at

guessing peoples ages by looking at them lol)

• some boys tend to look younger than their age, some girls tend to look older than their age. With the girls, it's the makeup they wear. If they wear eyeliner and fill in their wywbrows, they immediately would appear older. They no longer look as innocent and "untainted".

All the added hormones in fast food may also be the culprit.

• Whisper: "There's something in the water" lol just kidding but did you know that all of the fast foods and even the regular ones, meat especially contain so many hormones that they inject the animals with to get bigger and fatter? That's why even the pre-teen babies are getting breasts and having their monthly's at ages earlier and earlier. And there are so many younger guys buying proteins and a whole list of supplements to make their muscles grow and they shave their chins and mustache area to make the hair grow out there lol So the best thing to do: ask for ID lol

• I partly blame the media, especially in the case for young girls, they should not be wishing away childhood. It's just a side effect of pop culture and the communication age. Teenage kids are obsessed with their standing with their peers. This is what makes me sad, when I was 12 I was exploring forests, working hard at school, not wearing make up. These days when I go into shops, you can buy padded bras for ten year olds, and panties with things like tap that written on them.

• alcohol, smoking, defective genes, processed food (lacking nutrition), stress, negative beliefs/mantras about getting old etc

• lifestyle and genetics. I'm 27 and people think I'm in my teens. like men looking for a young girl. I tell them my real age and some disappear.

• I was wondering the same thing when I went to go pick up my little brother from school. He is a freshman this year, he looks like he is about 16 years old. All of them look super old now. They all look older than me, but I also don't look my age.

I look like I am 16 when I am actually 20. My older brother looks like he is 20 when he is actually 28. The 14 year old's voice is actually deeper than the 28 year old.

• I believe it's in the food that we all eat nowadays, plus most young people want to grow up fast so they act and look older than their age.

• That's why I'm so surprised to see that so many GaGers are actually so young.

• I know how you feel. Could be a number of reasons.

Make-up, smoking, genetics, lack of sleep.

• I felt horrid as he had to be young enough I could have technically been his mother.

• diet and lifestyle

• It's the food the kids today are eating. I read a study somewhere.