Why do people mispronounce the word "height"?

Anyone else notice how many people put a "th" sound on the end of the word height? It is supposed to rhyme with bite or kite and there is no "th" sound on the end. I wonder where that started. Thoughts?

I'm surprised so many people say they haven't heard this because I am constantly hearing people in the national media mispronouncing it. Perhaps most people just don't notice. I'm really not a grammar snob but for some reason this one just jumps out at me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm surprised no one else seems to really know what you're talking about, I hear the word height mispronounced all the time, it sticks out really bad.

Then again there are a lot of words that people mispronounce...

• Ding ding ding!

Finally, someone else who pays attention. Thank you!

• I hadn't thought about that. Good point.

• Trust me, I pay attention. But I specifically haven't noticed it with that word :)

What Girls Said 6

• I don't know what you are talking about...I haven't heard this.

Maybe it's just the persons accent that's making it sound that way.

• Maybe it's just where you live that people are doing that. I haven't noticed this

• Never heard of it.

• I've never heard anybody pronounce it that way. Must be something regional.

• I don't. They must have a speech impediment

• They may pronounce it that way because of a speech impediment? I have a lisp and have to really watch my pronunciation or it comes out heigth instead of height.

What Guys Said 4

• I used to hear that a lot more, but not so much recently. I think it's more of a regional dialect. Words and their pronunciation evolve over time and don't always match the spelling.

It's really not much different than someone who pronounces 'car' as 'caw', or pronounces 'wool' as 'woe'. Before I moved and lost most of my accent, I couldn't pronounce the L in wool no matter how hard I tried. So 'steel wool' comes out 'steo woe'.

Not a big deal but may sound weird if you haven't heard it before.

• Hah...that made me laugh. Good points. Thanks.

• I"ve never heard anyone mispronounce "height". You'd have to have the vocabulary of a 3 year old to mispronounce that.

• Then there are some pretty prominent journalists who have the vocabulary of a 3 year old. :)

• Could be!

• I don't do this. Some people do pronounce things poorly though.

• I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever say this. Perhaps it's like ixi10 said and it's just something where you live, or maybe we've just been fortunate enough to not have heard this mispronunciation yet.