Eye contact (or lack of) confused!

I have worked with this woman for about 4 yrs, so we are not strangers to each other. How ever when she comes over to pass me something, she will look away, and won't give me any eye contact. Also when she starts a conversation with me, she will look down and away and eventually look me in the eyes and hold it while continuing talking. If I catch her looking at me she immediately looks away, and in the past if I pass her something she will look me in the eyes, or lift up her elbow and touch the side of her fringe. I find it all a bit confusing, any ideas?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think I do this too. I can just be kind of shy and socially-awkward, and unless people at work say hi to me first, I won't usually say hi, even if we've talked a few times before. I've noticed that I do this more with straight males and females who haven't initiated any contact with me before. Once I feel close enough to people, I can act friendly toward them. It's not that I don't like them or something, I guess I just sometimes feel like maybe they won't want to talk to me or will think it's weird that I'm saying hi to them, so I don't want to bother them.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't know if this is true in your case, but that's usually what I do when I like someone. If I like a guy and I'm afraid of how he feels about me or fear it won't work, I tend to try and avoid that person. I get shy and try to avoid eye contact and direct conversation as a method to hide my feelings from him. Girls are a bit shielded from guys if they have had bad experiences with relationships in the past. It may not be you in general, keep that in mind...

• she's nervous it seems

• You intimidate her whether its because of your age, looks or personality

What Guys Said 0