Can you tell who somebody is by the way that they look?

This might sound stupid but sometimes I wonder. I am trying to meet guys online and when I see somebody that's too skinny I will usually avoid them because they might be heroin addicts. Same if somebody is too fat - I will assume that they are depressed and I avoid guys that have too much facial hair because I will assume they have poor hygiene etc... And if a guy doesn't show his photograph, I will usually assume he is good looking (since the good looking guys I've met never give their photograph before hand) but if he does have a photograph, I will assume he doesn't look as good in real life. If a guy is too muscular I will assume that he is prideful and works very hard on his image etc... I know these things are superficial but how else do you screen a pile of strangers you don't know? Do you also believe you can tell who somebody is by the way that they look like?

Most Helpful Guy

• You have every right to create your own criteria in your mind to screen people; that may be for whatever reason. Majority of people will start having convulsions "oooohh ! You judge people by looks and physical traits"... Don't worry. That's the way everybody is being brought up as a kid. But the reality is, everybody judges another person. It is a natural reaction.

Having said that, I will add, you may create first impressions; but always give the person another chance if YOU get the opportunity.

Now, the things that you mentioned, do you do the same in personal contact with people?

What Guys Said 4

• Many people make ignorant snap judgments about others that way and I see it as a good way to lead a lousy life.

• you can judge a person personality by their physical features, however it is much more effective judging a persons personality on how they move their physical features.

also I'm a really handsome guy, hiding my pictures isn't that great for me in experience I got no messages, but when I just my pics out there I got a lot more looks and a few messages

• I mean if you want to be superficial yeah

• Well lets see women tend to view unattractive guys as stalkers and serial killer or perverts but cute or hot guys as good and decent guys with good moral character i.e. Scott Peterson

What Girls Said 3

• That's the worst way ever to online date. You'll never find anyone that way, I'm sure you do the same in real life and it's what must have driven you to online dating. Something needs to change. You've NEVER heard, "Never judge a book by it's cover."? how could you possibly, seriously, find that outlook productive? What does a guy have to look like to look decent? A supermodel with abs (he must take steroids!) and a killer smile (KILLER!)? I'm so confused as to how this is working out for you..

You're generalizing, stereotyping, judging, and just outright drawing unreal conclusions from things that make no sense at all. I suppose you're "attractive" since you haven't uploaded a picture of yourself? OR maybe you didn't include it because you know how judgmental you are and don't want others to nit pick and make irrational assumptions about you?

I'm not bashing you but I'm trying to show you how inaccurate that is..

• I disagree. Judging a book by its cover is an essential means of tirelessly weaning through needless content. When I shop for poetry books, I shy away from the flimsy colorful nursery rhymes. I don't need to read the book to know it's not what I'm looking for. With that said, yes her conclusions are ridiculously off. skinny =/= heroin addict. no picture =/= handsome if anything it suggests shy, insecure or at best conservative.

• Those types of pictures would indicate a lifestyle, or interests. Like if the guy has a needle sticking in his arm, it would make sense to draw the conclusion that he's an addict. The examples you're giving make complete sense, that's how to accurately draw conclusions from pictures. Her examples are completely random in my opinion though..

• Yes, of course. I was just out to prove that rational deductions can be made off from pictures alone. The QA, however, clearly does not have the capacity for such deductions.

• You're basing all that on stereotypes geez I've never met a more biased person.

• Wow to be honest you sound just like myself