Have you ever went on a job interview for one position but they thought you were suited for a better position?

On Monday, I went on a job interview at a law firm for a file clerk position, which means I would just scan documents, answer the phones and a few other tasks but not really working on the files. On Wednesday, they called me, I thought they were going to tell me I was either hired or they went with another candidate, but the lady called me and said she looked over my resume again, and because I have a paralegal certificate she thinks I would be better suited for a position in the Foreclosure department since I know the documents and procedures. Now, I have the second interview on Monday.

Has this happened to anyone and if it has, did you do anything different?

Can you guys please give me some advice because I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

I got the job! I'm so happy!

Most Helpful Guy

• There's the saying that when opportunity knocks, answer. Opportunity is knocking, so go for it. It sounds like a much better position than the one you interviewed for.

Also read between the lines. What does it tell you about the company? It shows they are the kind of company that is willing to move you up when you show the skills and attitude for higher positions. It sounds like a good place to learn, grow and get good job experience. That has a lot of value in addition to whatever pay they offer you.

Yes, I've had similar things happen, but not in the same way you did.

What Guys Said 7

• Well, I think it's very professonal of the human ressources department in a company that they actively advise you on the job that suits you best.

They could as well have told you "sorry madame, you were one of 20 candidates and did not pass the first round of selections".

Of course, there is a small risk that the job they want you to accept is the one they can not find any candidate for. But you can still quit if it's really not your thing.

I would go for it!

I've sent you a friendship request. Feel free to accept, and if you like post me message on the outcome of the story. No obligations of course. Thumbs up!

• Sort of. I applied for a retail job as a 'regular' employee but was told that because of my experience that I could be a supervisor (not a manger). I did it but ended up hating it so I just decided to work as a regular salesperson.

As for you, that sounds like great news actually. If they called you back and thought you would be better suited for the other position, that means you did fine in the interview. Just do the same thing you did and you should be fine. Good luck. :)

• No. I would say that's a great sign. Why go looking for someone that you have at hand.

They expect you to be nervous. Don't let that worry you. If at anytime you feel funny just say sorry I'm really excited at the prospect of getting this job.

Just be you. Don't so anything differently. They liked you the 1st time.

• This hasn't happened to me just because of the field I'm in, but I have herd of this. Don't be nervous. I've had probably 100 jobs and from a person like me who is a professional at interviews I can tell you they don't like someone being nervous as godfather said. Just go in there and answer any questions he or she has and roll with it. Take it like a movie, yes a movie. Look for anything in the office that you might know about and talk about that. Showing confidence makes the difference in a human resource person choosing you and someone else. Good luck

• This is an opportunity...this is a good thing because you're a better candidate than initially realized!

I say take the foreclosure department job, Steph. Don't be afraid of the challenge! :-D

• If I'm offered the position after the interview I will definitely take it. Thank you!

• Sort of. I've only had one job interview in my life before owning my own business. But they had me doing things I didn't think I'd be doing when I applied.

• Oh sure it happened to me. I applied for a position in one department, but instead got interviewed by a panel of 3 departmental heads. They said they were interviewing on behalf of the organisation because my application sounded vague.

Basically after that first interview, I was invited for a second round of 3 one-on-one sessions with a section leader from each department to understand what they did. They submitted their appraisal of my ability, and I was given a job offer in one department which they thought I was most appropriate for. I accepted the offer.

What Girls Said 2

• Yeah, I went in for a lifeguarding position at a camp and I ended up getting aquatics director/aquatics even coordinator. My jaw almost fell off and I stared at disbelief until they laughed, patted me on the back and said congratulations.

It's a good thing, celebrate it!

• um... it happens in the military a lot when people go to get recruited and the recruiters persuade them for something else lmaoo so funny. recruiters are the worst