Why do girls cut their hair?

This drives me absolutely nuts! A girl will have gorgeous long hair that's like halfway down her back and one day she'll cut it show it's like barely at her shoulders. Why? I hate it when you guys do this!

Most Helpful Girl

• because we aren't living our lives for the sole purpose of approval from guys, its our hair and we get it cut or styled how WE want it not how MEN want it.

we don't even factor in mens opinions (unless he's already our boyfriend or husband and even then its not a case of omg will he still love me? will he leave me?) because we can easily get that half of men who do prefer shorter styles or that percentage of men who aren't superficial and don't care about our hair length as long as we are happy with it

What Girls Said 36

• Because we don't live to please you.

• In case you haven't noticed...girls don't keep their hair for guys. Long hair is heavy. It's like carrying a wet mop on your head during the summer. It takes too long to dry. You can't do many styles with it. It takes too long to do. Brushing takes forever. Heaven forbid you get a knot in it. It gets stuck in zippers and doors.

Girls aren't on this earth to please you lol. Find a girl who likes long hair if you must.

• I am sure you have done something at least once that a girl didn't like.

Probably you did it because you didn't give a sh*t what she thought or didn't realize she didn't like it. Or maybe it was because you thought someone else would. Probably you did it for your own reasons.

We are all different.

We do not have to please each other. Especially, we do not have to please people we do not know.

Her hair is her choice. Until you have had long hair, you do not realize how much effort, time and money can go into caring for it. This may not be every woman's priority. There is no reason it should be, if that doesn't reflect who she is. Also, if you actually knew the girl well enough to get up close, you might realize that while her hair alone might be "less attractive" to you, the way the new look suits her face or style might actually be better overall.

• The "gorgeous, long hair" you're thinking of is probably only so nice-looking because of the use of heating products, like straighteners and curling irons, which eventually damages our hair by making it dry and split end-y. So a lot of times we'll get a haircut for the sake of our hair's health.

Or we just want a change.

• Because the hair belongs to the girl, not you, and she can do what she wants with it.

• Because some people like a change.

I personally think some women have the features to pull that look off.

• why do guys have long hair? it drives me absolutely nuts! A guy will have normal short hair and then one day he'll grow it down to halfway down his back and have a disgusting ponytail! Why? I hate it when other people intentionally choose to offend me with their choices! Doesn't everyone know that they need to come to me for approval for every minute decision in their lives? I mean this guy took a shit and wiped his ass without asking me yesterday! I mean the nerve on that guy!

You sound like a petulant child.

• Well, sometimes girls do it for a good cause, other times its because she's tired of having it the same length, and other times its because there is a lot of damage.

hair isn't the easiest thing to take care of, think about it. Girls would do anything to have beautiful hair but its costly. Imagine this... Shampoo, conditioner, treatments, curling irons, straightening irons, blow driers, hair syrups, brushes, clips, rubber bands, etc. Its a lot of muuu-llaa.

Guys have it super easy! Shaved head or short hair.

Plus, sometimes, the length of the hair doesn't suite the face it comes along with.

• Having hair halfway down your back is extremely heavy and high maintenance, especially when its thick. I have extremely thick hair that is about this length right now, and I am actually considering cutting it short for those reasons. It takes 10 min to wash and condition it, 30 min to blow dry, several hours to air dry, 30 min to curl and 45 min to one hr to straighten. Besides having to actually find something to do with it once it is dried, not many styles work with hair that length. It takes a lot of work and some girls just don't want to deal with it.

• Well, we can't really look the same for our entire life. We need a change and maintaining long hair without any knots can be quite a bit of work. I had cut my hair to my shoulders before - never doing this again since it looked horrible. Now, I only cut it as much as I need to get rid of the split ends. Besides, hair isn't teeth, it grows back :)

• Because it's a pain to take care of when it's long. We already do so much extra stuff to our bodies to make us attractive, having short hair makes it one less thing to worry about.

• because...we want to?

• exactly like my sister her hair are long and lustrous like my mums and black in colour. They reach just above her backside and all she wants to do is cut them. I feel like slapping her when she says it and I'm like I'd love to have hair like you but she doesn't care not that it has an effect on her

• Bc it feels awesome. I was one of those girls and my hair grows back and long fairly fast. But I remember I just wanted a change and I was in love with the bob so I chopped my hair. Plus long hair is a task to wash and if a girl has dark hair, like mine is jet black. In summer it is really hot on your head, almost feels like hot metal to the touch lol.

• I think they do it for style, I used to cut my hair really short and people thought I was a guy, but now I only trim off the split ends because I want longer hair. Its not like I don't enjoy having short hair and all, but I plan on growing mine to my ankles.

• It's really difficult and expensive to take care of. You need tons of shampoo, conditioners. Combing takes forever and with hair that long, you'll get split ends more easily, which means another expensive and time consuming treatment is needed. Drying it takes an hour.

But even with all these maintenance issues, some women simply cut it because they're bored of that hairstyle. Hair that long creates a clean slate for endless possibilities in terms of hairstyles. You can cut it to any length and style.

• Well sometimes girls get bored and want a new look, may need to cut off all the dead ends or probably donate it? I know when my hair gets long I have to cut the tips off but I don't like my hair to be short, I don't like it on myself, I personally love my hair long! :D

• I feel the same when guys shave their heads or get near buzz cuts after having nice sex hair that I can grab onto when we makeout. I'm never getting my hair cut above my bra strap (band)

• even though I've always been a fan of crystal gail's hair, that would be just impossible to deal with. so when mine gets too bothersome, I'll cut it. I only do this once a year though, as usually I'm okay with ponytails. but I like the feeling of shorter hair...and it shows off my earrings.

• Cause we want to. It's our hair, we can do what we want. And I feel the same about guys! If my boyfriend cut his hair (it's like mid length now) I'd go nuts! But I respect that it's his hair and he can do what he want with it. I'll still go nuts ..BUT in a RESPECTFUL manner ^^ lol

• Because some of us want to try different kind of styles.Though I am not a fan of short hair cut,I respect girls who go for it.

• I see. Finally an answer that doesn't bite my head off. Looks like I hit a few nerves on this question my bad. lol

• Girls just want to change their look or have their preferences. The last time I had a hair cut, I was 7 years old. That was about 11 or 12 years ago. My hair is a bit past my knees now. The longer your hair gets, the more work goes into it. I can see why they cut their hair, but that is just not for me.

• It's really not about what you like, but what she likes. Girls cut their hair for quite a few reason:

Bored of their looks

Donating it

For hair health reasons

Low maintenance

etc

• because...we want to? it takes time to get long beautiful hair, it's heavy...if we want to have short hair, we'll have short hair, that's it.

• it is their choice

• The only reason I don't cut my hair is because I'm too lazy to cut it and I'm generally an unsanitary person (FUCK WHAT IS SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE!) It doesn't take too long to fix at all. All I do is brush my hair and spray a little bit of oil on it, then I get compliments left and right lol. It's down to my butt. I guess it's just genetics because I don't have to take time to straighten it since it's naturally very straight.

• I cut mine off because some guy was bugging me about it.

• Probably cause she doesn't wear her hair according to what you hate and don't hate lol

• I trim,not cut my chin-length bob cut once every 2 months to keep it in a good shape.I look better in chin-length hair than in long hair and most people around me in real life agree with me.

• don't worry, I never do that. kept long hair all my life.

• More from Girls
    6

What Guys Said 5

• Because other guys like short hair, myself included... But in all seriousness it could be many things, I'm sure maintaining long hair is harder than maintaining should length hair.

• well some girls look great with short hair...but not all I feel where you're coming from some ruin their looks but going for the edgy short hair look

but if a girl can pull it off I can be verrrry attractive...

• Probably because it was getting annoying to keep washing and styling so much hair

• Ignore those girls. One of the reasons I hate this site is girls like those

1. It's the new fashion. It's "in" right now for girls to have short "pixie like" cuts

2. They cute it so that it's easier to manage

3. they do it to piss the guy she likes, off because they know it irritates us and for some reason, it amuses them to see us pissed off

• Dude relax most girls usually keep their hair long for a long time.