Why do guys walk around in basketball shorts when it's freezing?

Seriously, guys. Why do you do this? I will be on campus when it is under 20 degrees outside, and without fail I will see at least one white guy in basketball shorts. It makes me cold just looking at them.

And then when it's in the 60's, I'll see them with jeans and hoodies.

Am I missing something? Enlighten me, please.

Most Helpful Guy

• I guys doing this where I'm at too. No lie, one day it was MAYBE 28 degrees outside and I'm walking to class all bundled up, then I see this kid with gym shorts and a short sleeve shirt. I'm looking at him like "What were you thinking this morning?! What were you trying to be prepared on the off chance some spontaneous basketball game is going on while you're on your way to class?" Like what's going through his mind? "Well, the snow from a week ago still hasn't melted at all and the weather channel issued an ice warning... so I guess I wear these seasonally inappropriate clothes that leave my legs and arms horribly exposed to the elements."

• Love it. When I got out of class tonight it was -23. I was covered head to toe in multiple layers of clothing... And then two bros walk by in unbelievably light hoodies. Maybe an improvement from shorts, but still terribly inappropriate. I was numb when I got to my car. I'd imagine that they have frost bite now.

• My 12 year old brother told me it's not cool to wear jackets. What? Pretty sure I would rather be a nerd than die of hypothermia.. It makes sense that children would behave like that. But if you're in college, I expect a little more common sense.

• Jackets aren't cool? I'm pretty sure having feeling in my extremities is the definition of cool. You know what's more uncool than jackets? Looking stupid. Walking into the cold without proper attire makes you look like you don't understand how weather works. *walks out the door* "AH! What is this sudden feeling that I am having, why does it hurt so?! Make it stop magic heat fairies... why have you forsaken me?" (Note to others: there are no magic heat fairies, that's just how temperature works.)

What Guys Said 12

• Lol this is totally me.. I don't usually feel all that cold. I think they're more comfy than wearing jeans or pants too.

• Now, what do you consider cold? Because we had a day last week that was -30 with the windchill and I still saw some bros in light hoodies. Meanwhile my nose was frost nipped...

• Uhmmmm is she named after the fabulous whale by any chance? I have 3 cats with ridiculous names. Gumdrop should have been Bubbie. I think you might be a mind reader because I just laid down with Gummie and thought about posting a question about pet names.

• Well his name is Bubba but we call him Bubbie. He's male so I probably emasculate him by calling him a "girly" name. Hey great minds think alike ;)

• LOL! I guess whites don't get cold like that? I was at the gas station getting gas one night and there was some white guy pumping gas in shorts and a short sleeve shirt and it was about 15 degrees outside with a -5 windchill.

• Men's and women's bodies are different. Women tend to feel the cold more than men. These men probably are not cold. I don't mean to bring genders into it but that is what I have experienced, our bodies are different.

• I think it's the other way around cause we tend to have more body fat lol. Either way, everyone is different and has different tolerances for hot/cold.

• Yeah more body fat is true. Men and women put their body fat on in different places, Men but it on more over the whole of their boy and women have it more concentrated on only the middle of their body. Keeping men warmer all over their body. I am going on my male and female friends and more of my female friend complain about being cold than my male friends lol. Well that is what I have experienced anyway.

• and yeah your right people vary to.

• I'm pretty sure girls are a little more to blame for this sort of behavior..

I mean come on.. Who hasn't seen a line into a concert on a cold night packed full of younger girls in tiny skirts.

• see girls wearing short skirts in the same kind of weather. no tights, leggings etc.. it's not just men

• Girls do the same thing, if not more. At least at my uni that's the case.

• I rarely see that

• IMO it isn't cold to them!

• I don't get cold on the legs. And shorts are more comfortable.

Lol I sometimes wear a puff jacket and shorts to be warm at the top lol

• idk I saw a guy like that the other night and I was amazed cause it was like 10 degrees out

• Not everyone feels the cold that much. Also, if you are playing sports like basketball you feel warmer because you are burning lots of energy.

• Hell no I dont.

Blue jeans is the only way to go.

What Girls Said 2

• I wear them even when its freezing because I love wearing loose pants/short no matter what the weather.

• excuse me-*STRAIGHT white guy. that's better.