Should physically undesirable individuals not waste time trying to look attractive?

For example, I'm really short. I'm about 5'3''/5'4''ish. I know I'm going to be physically undesirable to a huge percentage of the female population. Should people like myself and other people who are deemed physically undesirable still try to put in the effort to look attractive or as attractive as possible for that particular person?

Would it make you scoff or laugh at someone who is trying to look attractive if they are physically undesirable in the first place?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm gonna be honest with you, looks can be either everything or almost everything, even taking into account your personality - just look, by now thousands of people have managed to see you and judge you by your looks, a handful have done it based on your personality. In a job interview, on a date, hell, even when you order your Big Mac the college kid serving you may be an asshole just because he thinks you ugly.

BUT.

Time spent trying to look more attractive is never wasted. Even being... let's be honest, quite short, you can do whatever you're able to do to keep your body lean, your face clean and closely shaved (or you can grow a sexy stubble if you can trim that) and your manner proper (because let's be real, the way you act constitutes at least a third of what you look like). Of course every individual has different tastes, but they usually limit to cosmetic details - hairdo, hair color, body mass. In general though, clean, confident (yes, confidence is also the way you LOOK) and generally well-groomed people are attractive to the general population. A beautifully polished piece of quartz looks a lot more attractive than a diamond in the rough, even though the latter has more potential.

I'm not gonna bullshit you with this "ONLY personality matters" nonsense. Personality's just a part of it all. I agree, though, that you attract people (not only romantically) with looks, but you keep them there with your brains. Don't forget that.

What Girls Said 2

• It isn't just about looks. It's about having a great personality. If you're nice and fun to be with then it's a good thing. Height doesn't really matter to me, I'm very short and a lot shorter than you do(4'11) I'm not that good looking either. I'm just average but I make up for it for dressing nicely and being well groomed and well mannered. I also try to be a good companion to everyone I am with and I treat them nicely also.

• Being fit and well groomed helps a lot in other areas, too. Also, the "I just give up" look rarely succeeds and often rubs off in other areas.

For instance, I have a big nose and angular face. A lot of guys don't like that compared to soft, heart-shaped, cute faces. But for some, it's right up their alley. If I get sloppy looking, even that smaller group isn't going to look twice.

What Guys Said 6

• hey man, I'm on the shorter side much like yourself. I go to the gym 5 days a week and have a great body. I dress well. you need to get the size out of your head. I date plenty of women and always have. preferences are preferences with women. some women will only date blonde guys. doesn't mean you should take yourself out of the game. your focus as a man should be how to improve yourself every day. get yourself a good job and make some money. everything that is in your control should be improved as much as possible, make yourself physically and financially attractive to women and study game. having a give up attitude won't get you what you want out of life. you can do it man!

• Put the effort in. If anything, looking healthy has the side effect of being healthy. That's a good thing.

"I know I'm going to be physically undesirable to a huge percentage of the female population." That's an attitude that you probably want to ditch.

• I'm just being realistic is all.

• Fact: the musician Prince is 5'2". He's been romantically linked with both Kim Basinger and Carmen Electra.

There is hope!

• And Kim Basinger is 5' 7" too!

• I rather suspect that has more to do with his financial success and his fame. Did you ever notice he screams like a girl when he sings? That's really irritating to me.

• True he is famous, but ya gotta do what it takes. If the Question Asker ends up having to become rich and famous to get women then at least there's a way.

• yes you should and even if you don't you will still get the girl of life...dont get disheartened dude...there are lots of factor girl look for in a guy...other than looks and physical presence

A humble human being is appreciated more than a self boasting attractive person

be a good human being and workout out on your best traits things will follow :)

• You shouldn't make your look for others, #1 is that you're happy with the way you look. It's a pretty basic building block for confidence.

• I'm very ugly and I still put in effort (ie gym, diet, dress well), although I've long since given up hope of it making any difference. I do it more out of habit than expecting results.