My parents made some jokes about my boyfriend's appearance?

First of all, I'm 5'7". My boyfriend is 5'5". I couldn't care less!

I was saying something about him and sports, and my dad made a joke about his height. I was like "haha, whatever", and then my mom made a comment about how he's balding a little. Again, I ignored it. (BTW, of course he wasn't present there).

I know they really like him, especially because he treats me like gold and because we're so happy... he's also really nice, he's smart, he's funny. I know they like him.

But the fact that they made a big deal about his appearance made me feel, well... sad. For instance, they've never said anything about my sister's boyfriend's appearance.

I mean, I love him. I don't care that he's short, I don't care that his hair is thinning. But should I? I know I have to ignore my parents, but, do they think I'm like settling for less or something?

Like I said, I don't care. This just kinda made me feel uneasy.

Most Helpful Guy

• Let me ask you something, are you going to be marrying your parents?

Will they be providing for your future, caring for you, loving you, treating you like gold?

Will you be sleeping with your parents?

Do you kiss your parents like you kiss your man?

They why do you give a crap what they think at all?

Dismiss their asshole comments and be glad you don't live with them, anymore.

Enjoy your man, who treats you like gold and makes you happy.

You belong to him, and he belongs to you, and that's all that matters. I can understand your sadness, I got the same shit from my parents for girlfriends I have had. They're malconteted jackasses who hate to see you happy.

They're family, but thank GOD you no longer with them.

What Guys Said 5

• The next time they butt in with unsolicited comments denigrating his height and thinning hair simply say "You're right about both those things but you should see the size of his penis!" That oughta shut em up.

• Definetley tell them that you don't appreciate them talking about your boyfriend like that. By sure to tell them of how nicely he treats you and how he deserves the same respect back.

• They just don't want you to be carrying him on your arms in the honeymoon, when it should be the other way around.

• They may be thinking of the grandchildren.

Or they think maybe you could do better.

• I think they think you could do better in the looks department

What Girls Said 3

• That was really unnecessary of them. No, you shouldn't care about his height or his hair. He can't control any of that, so making fun of him for those things is really mean. Maybe they were just joking, or maybe they were trying to tell you that you can do better appearance-wise. I don't know, since I don't know your parents or what they really think of your boyfriend. All I do know, though, is that if you're happy, you shouldn't care about small stuff like that. If they joke about his appearance again, just tell them that you don't think it's funny and that it's making you sad. Hopefully they'll understand.

• Your parents are jerks. Tell them you plan on having his babies so they deal with it.

• This is a situation when I think you shouldn't listen to your parents.