Why are men taller than women?

I guess this will also depend on where you live.

But here in the u.s. the average height stats are 5'10 for men and 5'4 for women. that's 6 inch difference. Why do men end up so much taller? what's the biological reason? differences in puberty, etc. ?

Most Helpful Guy

• Being tall means you could see over high grass and brush better than someone short, it also means you can reach things like fruit off the ground easier. Us humans are two legged for a reason.

Taller men could see better over things, reach farther up and would have longer strides for running. So they could survive easier and do their job as men (killing things) easier. Women didn't need the extra height.

Also, generally speaking, males are usually bigger than females in a lot of species. So it makes sense.

Another thing is that while there are "short" men in our modern world, these men are a lot taller than our ancestors. 5'6" was the same as 6' in perspective at heights at one point.

What Guys Said 3

• Because most men have more muscle mass and stronger bones than most women, its in our DNA to be physical fit and athletic, so that plays a factor in the height category as well.

• ...ad why is it that not all men grow up to be that tall. I'm supposedly only 5'5" but I used to think I was 5'8". 5'8" according to you, isn't even average. Does this make me unattractive?

• Everyone likes different things, so I can't answer that. some people will be attracted to you, some wont. Idk. Well some women are very tall here as well. that's why I'm dealing with the majority or the average heights.

not according to me, these are stats on average height for men in the u.s. I didn't make it up lol

• I find all of that hard to believe

• Well, okay then. You don't have to believe anything you don't want to lol

• Women would only sleep with tall guys. They're incredibly picky

What Girls Said 2

• Well Phoebe Buffay's theory says that it's because women's pheromones come out of the top of our heads... =D

I honestly don't know either. Especially considering how in the animal kingdom, it's mostly the females who are twice the size of the males.

• Evolution is my guess. Same reason why women are generally shorter.