Girls are weird about what they want to show?

So, I was sitting in a corner of the library reading and this girl sits at the desk in front of me. Her back is facing me and the desk is like 4 rows of books in front of me. She was wearing this polka dot dress, that looked to be mid tight length. Anyway, when she got up to leave she bent over to pick up her stuff on the desk and you could see most of the grey shorts she had on underneath. I am not complaining about her wearing shorts under it, but my point is that I walk around campus and there are girls wearing the shortest of shorts (like almost butt cheek skimming) or there are girls who wear thongs with their shorts/jeans and all you see is whale tail. Or the tight as hell yoga pants and leggings. Or the tank tops and tight shirts that show off their cleavage and boobs. Or wearing a different color bra so it’s see though from your shirt. I can keep going but you get the point. How come girls are fine showing everything off but when it is time to wear a skirt/dress they wear shorts under it? What’s the point of even wearing it then, why not just wear pants? Or why not wear longer skirt/dresses?

Most Helpful Girl

• It could be for a few reasons, really.

1.) Fashion. In many places, it's fashionable to wear shorts with a long shirt or a short dress because it looks cute in the right combination.

2.) Functionality. Dresses don't have pockets, so even if she did want to show off her legs, she may have still wanted pockets.

3.) Comfort. Whether this means comfortable with her body or comfortable clothes, it could mean either or both. She might not have enough self-confidence to show off or maybe she didn't want her legs to rub together. Sometimes I'll wear shorts under a skirt just because it's more comfortable that way.

4.) Respectable. She could just be a respectable person. I don't care much for women who let everything hang out, especially as half the time it tells something about the kind of person they are. It's still great to look nice in a cute dress, but wearing shorts underneath leaves no impression that you're trying to advertise anything underneath.

• For point one wouldn't you have to wear shorts with a long shirt anyway? For point 2 I know some dresses/skirts actually come with pockets now, but wouldn't it be a bit awkward to pull something out of your pocket that way? Plus isn't that the whole point of the purses you ladies carry?

• Lol my point exactly! That's why I hate pockets! A dress or long shirt would obscure the pockets of shorts or trousers underneath though

• Thank you! ^_^

What Girls Said 9

• you're talking about different types of girls. this chick who wears shorts under her dress probably doesn't show off her thong or her boobs.

• True, but most girls walking around my campus are wearing more of the show it off stuff.

• unless you're really short, it's hard to find anything in between.

• I guess they stopped making all the between length some time in the 60's.

• two types of people, that girl with shorts under won't be one of the girls going around in booty shorts and vice versa

• It sounds like the girl who was in the library has more self respect than the girls who wear revealing clothes. I've always kept myself covered up (e.g. no short shorts in public, no bikinis, no tanks tops without something covering me up). Some girls are OK with showing off all they got and others aren't.

• I saw a girl today wearing something that looked like a tank top/bikini hybrid. It was awful looking.

• some as bikini contests, women are educated to gain an ideal shape of their bodies yet they get bad names. men don't get bad names because women are less visual. if any woman is topless just because she plays basketball or soccer, why do people call her slutty? men do it too. and if a woman rapes a man, why doesn't anyone blame him for wearing shorts or being topless? your argument is absurd. women don't have to be topless to be called slutty.

• Well women are called slutty for being topless. Your argument is invalid.

• Some girls are modest and some are not. This girl probably wanted to wear a dress to look more feminine but did not want people to see her stuff when she bent over. It`s not like the dress looks that same as shorts when it is falling over the shorts.

• I see your point. But, wearing a "longer" dress isn't always an option. A girl might see a cute dress in the store, but it might be too short. You don't always have time or even the option to get it tailored, extended, etc. So to compromise, they wear shorts under. No biggy.

• Well it really depends on the type of girl. Some are really self-conscious about what they expose and some aren't.

• Some girls like to dress hot and as short as possible, others do want to look cute, but don't want show of all their stuff. So two different types of people here,

• She could have been on her period

• Not all women do that. I get the whale tail sometimes but that's just cause my shorts go down it's not intentional. But guys let you see the cracks too. I rock tanks but when I'm not wearing something over it there not tight tight. I have tight shirts but that's just cause I feel comfortable in them. Wearing shorts with a skirt has multiple purposes. For us that don't want to flash vag to the world it's a good cover plus if you forget to cross your legs not totally disgusting. Also for girls that do not have chicken legs it reduces chafing

What Guys Said 2

• link

I believe they call that "style."

• some are just more conservative than others. sounds like you found a conservative one