Real women have curves? Wrong message to women?

Do you ever see on Facebook or social media sites where people post a picture curvy women with the slogan 'real women have curves.'For me, it irritatingThe reason is they are making out that skinny thin women are not in fact 'real women'. Do you feel this is done out of envy for thin women? And do you think it's fair that thin women should be made feel bad because being thin is what society perceive as normal? Personally I have been thin, then more curvy( curvy now I hit late twenties:)) it never occurred to me that I wasn't a real women. Don't you think it's unfair that curvy women feel they are more woman then a thin woman.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that it is done to counter the "model move" of society. In reality no one - not even the models themselves - will ever look like the models in magazines. I think the whole "real women have curves" is intended to make women of all sizes feel better about their natural bodies. Because let's be honest, even thin girls have a little something something going on that doesn't make them TOTALLY straight.

Heck, I look like a ruler and I have a tiny bit of something happening.

I don't argue with what you said - that it portrays fat as the new normal - but I believe the original intention of the ad was to reassure women that their normal bodies were perfectly fine.

Obese/fat women have used the slogan to justify their unhealthy appearance, certainly, but that isn't the original intention of the slogan I don't believe.

However, there *are* naturally curvy women out there who are healthy for their builds and let's be honest, they are seen as "ideal" by the male population of the world. That build is ideal for baby making lol but it doesn't mean that other shapes of women aren't real. We can all still make babies :p

But yeah, the original intent of the ad was directed toward all women to perhaps try to stop unrealistic expectations or eating disorders or something.

• Ya agreed it was a campaign against women with eating disorders but I guess I had been thin for years, we are talking 7 and a half stone and I could eat what I liked. In recent years I've put weight on. I guess back ten years ago when I was 20 thee wasn't so much pressure on me cos personally the rise of social media has impacted on our thoughts about our bodies. You make great points

• Yeah I'm with you there - I can eat whatever I want and stay the same size so I always figured the ad didn't apply to me.

What Guys Said 16

• Personally I don't have a problem with that group at all.

I don't feel it is making any sort of attempt to say shinny or petite or chubby or fat woman are not real. I believe it is more of a comment against the stereotypical model or Hollywood actress image.

You don't have to workout 30 hrs a day, 10 days a week with professional trainers. You can eat more than a stalk of celery and a bran muffin a month, to be beautiful. Be who you are. Enjoy what you've got. You are sexy. You are desirable. You've got it, flaunt it.

:-)

• OK. I have to say the FB page I was thinking of is no longer in existence. At least I couldn't find it. It was created and run by a male body builder and his girlfriend or wife (I don't remember what she was). It was classy and celebrated curvy woman, as I described above. The pages that I found now are pretty bad. I only looked at a few but they do seem to have been created just to bash skinny/petite woman.

• That saying goes around because for the longest time very slender to anorexic women were the standard shoved down the throats of people through the media.

Now the pendulum is swinging the other way.

What is needed is something in the middle, such as "love your body" instead of swinging the pendulum back and forth between different bodytypes and demonizing the other. :)

• REAL WOMEN HAVE VAGINAS!

Now nobody is offended

• Yes they put down fit women to justify themselves. It's 100% spite, , and a lot of envy thrown in.

These women don't really BELIEVE their own line here, they just want to put down those fit women.

• Naturally skinny women do exist however they are in the minority. Far more common are average women who dream of being skinny.

Such postings may be offensive to the skinny but considering the whole of modern society is based around demonising those with curves and seeing the skinny as something to emulate, its only fair.

Its funny really the way the modern world sees being skinny as so great.

My mother tells me that when she was a teenager she was picked on for being thin. Then you see those adverts from the 50s about bulk up forumla...

• It's a reactionary thing. Women who once felt attacked now must become the attackers.

The real message should just be this: Try to be as healthy as you can be, and whatever shape that healthy form is someone out there will like you for it, and so should you.

• Whilst you are upset by believing thin girls aren't real women, there are equally, many curvy girls who want to be thin. It seems to me we should all make the best of what we've got, because there is no use in worrying about the things we can't control.

• All I know is I'm tired of people imposing their social beliefs on others with this stupid "real women _____" / "Real men _____" phrase.

• Being a man or woman has nothing to do with looks it's more about your actions. Having character a sense of responsible for yourself and action being mature are things that make a person a man or woman. Being the opposite of what I said makes you a boy or girl. Looks make you male or female. That saying is to make themselves feel better are others to feel bad.

• Men say curves and think: kim kardasian sexy.

women say curves and usually seem to mean rolls and rolls like a baker!

• "do you think it's fair that thin women should be made feel bad because being thin is what society perceive as normal?"

I've seen the push in media to let 'thicker' girls being models in ads and such; I don't think it's society that perceives it as normal, but more that fashion companies are realizing that people are becoming fatter and fatter and thus they need to cater to them. I think it only has to do with the almighty dollar

""Do you feel this is done out of envy for thin women?"

More because of the money that can be made out of people; and as people are becoming fat that market needs to be addressed. Sooner or later it will become "norm" (even though it shouldn't be norm) to let thin girls feel "ashamed" about being thin and not curvy as will probably be the norm in a few years - if it isn't already. Just like a while back, when 'curvy' girls were made to feel "ashamed" about not being thin; like all those catwalk models.

...I just hope I don't have to experience the time when hair under arms on girls will suddenly become the latest "socially acceptable norm"

• I think it's ridiculous. A real woman doesn't define themselves as a real woman based on what other people think of her. A real woman has this or a real woman does that is just as stupid, in my opinion, as all the slogans that says a real man does this, or a real man has that.

• All it is, is pathetic shaming tactics design to make the person saying these phrases feel better about themselves, or to justify their actions.

• The saying "real women have curves" is a way for heavy women to look down on skinny women, and feel better about themselves in the process. I don't really blame heavy women for getting all worked up about it. Over weight people are persecuted very heavily in today's culture. It is seen as okay to be mean to fat people because it is believed they made the choice to do that to themselves. Even though the reality is quite different. I think it is stupid to think that anyone would chose to be fat, yet this is the culture we are in today. This mistreatment of fat people then creates an, its us against them, attitude amongst heavier people.

The truth is neither group should be looking down at each other. Research is showing all sorts of things we never even thought about that is related to obesity. We are finding out that everyone's body react differently to different foods, and even the bacteria in our bodies can even play a huge role in whether or not we get fat. Throw on top of that all of the additive in food that are also making people get fat, or increasing appetite in some people, and it is clear that this is a more complex issue than we want to realize. To think it a choice, is incredibly ignorant.

• it would be better it it was "real women love their bodies" or "real women care about health."

• who is to say what a real woman or man is. Its just shit people make up to get you to be a certain way.

• It's partly out of envy. But the roots go deeper than that. Society, thanks to religion and relatively more recently the 'secular' religions of the left wing, tends to hate the good for being the good. It's not just healthy and fit people. It's intelligent people. It's rich people.

And whom are we told that we should value? Fat people. Violent criminals (all of them, apart from rapists and murderers, are now basically considered victims of poverty). Poor people. And we're not told to value them for any virtues that they might have. We're told that simply being fat or a violent criminal or poor is in itself something good.

We live in a really morally perverted society. But it's been that way for quite a while.

What Girls Said 13

• Yeah, I would say that slogan is phrased rather badly. The point it's trying to get across is that the average woman in real life if not nearly as skinny as most models and actresses we see in magazines and media. I do think they could probably find a better way of restating it, saying that "real women" have different body types, and aren't just the body type most women we see in media have. The idea behind it is a good one, pointing out that women come in all shapes and sizes, but the way the slogan is stated is not what I think they want to get across, and it can be pretty offensive to some people, which they definitely should fix.

• Yes, that is something that really annoys me. It pretty much is just a way to put down smaller or thinner women. I'm naturally a thin girl. If I could have bigger boobs and a bigger butt then I would but that's not how I'm built. The reality of it is, women come in all shapes and sizes. I'm just as "real" as those with hourglass shapes and pear shapes, ect. Last time I checked, having a vagina is the only requirement for being a "real" woman.

All women, no matter what their body shape, should feel beautiful. As women, we shouldn't feel the need to tear other women down to build ourselves up. I wish I had more distinguished "curves" but I don't and that's okay. I would never put down curvier women because I don't want others to make me feel bad about my body type either.

• Women come in all shapes sizes, and colors.

Some women don't even have vagina's.

The correct message would be "fuck what other people think, you're beautiful."

You can be the juiceiest ripest peach in the world, and there will ALWAYS be someone who doesn't like peaches.

With all the fetishes there are and sexual orientations, is it really plausible to believe that someone won't be attracted to the obese woman, or the woman who never shaves? There are men and women sexually attracted to balloons, There is someone who finds you physically and personally attractive.

• It originated as an attempt to battle the anorexia ideal that was going on just a few years ago. But now it's become a very misguided attempt for obese women to justify their life style. Now a lot of obese women call themselves curvy, they have complete hijacked the word. As if curvy means having fat rolls. In reality, it means having broad hipbones and a small waist. Anyway, I hate that trend. I'm neither an advocate for curvy nor skinny, since we cannot control what body shape we have. But we can control how fat we are. Instead, I'm for everyone being in shape and healthy. That is not a body shape.

• Agreed, you hit the nail on the head. Some women use the word curves to justify obesity. As long as someone is healthy is doesn't matter. That goes for skinny women too. It's quite dangerous to be underweight too.

• Yeah, neither underweight nor overweight is good. I've noticed a lot of people tend to think in extremes: either you have to be morbidly obese or see-through. When they learn that there can be a middle ground, then everything will kind of solve itself.

• Many women are exploiting this ad, it was originally meant as a "fuck the model society" thing, but a lot of women are using as an excuse to eat what they want and not exercise, in other words, be fat.

What the slogan was originally meant for, was to make girls who have a natural big bust, wide hips and large ass, make feel better about their selves, because they were perfectly healthy, but if they put their selves next to models, they looked fat. A good example is, Demi Lovato. So it's not to make skinny girl feel bad about their selves, but what bigger build girls feel better.

And Facebook and stuff is just exploiting it.

• Yeah thin shaming is completely wrong. A REAL women, is a person who defines them self as a woman

• I think it's just a counter to the mass media on how women are suppose to be sticks. If you were born with a vag you are a real woman.

• That always pisses me off, I work hard to stay skinny because that's how I want to be. Does that mean I'm not a real woman? It's the phrase you always hear fat girls saying to make themsves feel better about their size, when the reality is that, they're fat and unhealthy.

• Of course all women are real women per say but curvy women have always been made to feel fat when its not always the case. I'm not thin..5'2" 120lbs...but I'm far from fat in my opinion. However I'm veru curvy esp on the bottom half and sum people try to make me feel as though I'm not thin enough. I don't wanna be super thin and men love curves too...there always checking mine out..lol! I do though think curves are more appealing on women. If I were a man I would not be attracted to a stick woman..ijs!

• I feel like this is a phrase that most women throw around to make themselves feel better about their curves (and fat). A lot of the times, when humans want to feel better about something, they end up putting someone else down in the process. It's basically all about slicing up a part of your insecurity and shoving it down someone innocent's throat. It's sad, and very hurtful. I haven't exactly been skinny all my life, but I have been underweight since my late teens. It's not something I can help, it just happened, and it saddens me that some people now don't think I'm a "real" woman just because I have an A cup and a flat butt.

But it's not just women who use these phrases. Men have jumped on the bandwagon too, saying stuff like "You wouldn't want a steak that was nothing but bone, why would you want a woman that was" (great, comparing women to food) and "A woman without curves is like jeans without pockets, you don't know where to put your hands" (as if you can only touch a woman's boobs and butt) etc. It's hurtful and disgusting, and I don't think people actually realize what comments like that can do to someone's confidence. Sure, being thin is "ideal", but that doesn't mean thin people can't be offended/hurt over someone's stupid comment. Not a day goes by that I wish my hip bones, collar bones and ribs didn't show. Not a day goes by without me judging how my t-shirts and pants sag due to the fact that I don't have a pair of boobs or a nice butt to fill them.

• Obese and freakishly thin women are unhealthy. Models are for women not men. With my genetics I have curves with a slim body. But I am by no means perfect I gain and lose.weight like any other women. But I am not going to apologize for having an hourglass figure and I don't think women who have a mila,kunis or sofia vergara body type should feel bad for the way they look. Selena gomez is beautiful but so is a body type as beyonce. But women who are wearing clothes that are made for sarah hyland's body type but are built like adele shouldn't be proclaiming real women have curves when they know dam well that was not made for them. No matter how in shape or healthy you are you can't expect to have a certain body type unless you go under the knife. And even surgery can't change your height. So women should wear clothes that flatter their body type.

• It's not a bad message. Just don't buy into it. Do what you want.

• Wow some thing else to get wound up about just relax who really cares?