What is it about tights and leggings?

I don't know what it is but me personally I feel that tights and leggings for girls should be worn under clothing like they were intended. Unless they are yoga or exercise pants it just looks weird to see them used as just pants. I've worked in clothing sales for many years and I see this in my store and out of my store a lot for the past couple of years. This is my personal view and I would like to get the opinion of the great GAG people. What do ya'll think?

I agree if you look good you can wear anything. But I just think certain clothes are meant to be worn a certain way.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly I think I look really good in my yoga pants and tights! I mean I'm not blind, I can see what I look like in a mirror and when I wear a bad outfit, I can see it's bad. But I can also recognize when I look good and in my yoga pants I truly believe I do. It highlights my body type and makes me look like I actually have a butt ^_^ Girls who wear tights or leggings can absolutely look horrible too. If they don't style it properly or don't have the body shape for it. But in some cases I believe it can look very flattering too. However I must add though, I'll never wear tights or any type of tight pants for that matter if my top does not cover at least 3/4 of my butt at the very least. I can understand where you're coming from if you are talking about girls who pair tights with tops that are low cut. Then it looks really odd imo. The top you wear should cover your pants somewhat if you are going to wear it casually.

What Girls Said 19

• Personally, I wear leggings as pants. They are so extremely comfortable and I honestly don't care what anyone else thinks. I like them so I will continue to wear them. To me, it's no different than wearing yoga pants (I wear both).

• I agree with you. They should only be worn with shorts, skirts, or dresses. It isn't very flattering when they are worn as pants. For example, I was picking up my younger sister from school, and I saw this lady wearing only tights as pants. You could see her white panties right through her black tights. I just wondered why she hadn't checked the mirror before she left the house...

But to each their own, apparently.

• They're just as casual as jeans, yet cuter. And a step up from sweatpants.

Don't wear them with a short shirt unless you have a nice ass

• They should be worn under dresses or jeans/clothing. That's the way it was as I was growing up from childhood to teens. Now I see girls in tiny shirts and leggings. It looks so unclassy and horrible - makes me cringe. I'd feel really uncomfortable if I wore them with the appropriate way they were made to wear.

• I agree. Even though some tights or leggings are more or less impossible to see through, it still looks kind of awkward and it almost feels like they're only wearing their underwear.

• Amen! I totally agree with you. I only wear tights with dresses and yoga pants when working out. It looks really un-classy. I don't understand why so many girls do it. I can see if you're a little girl, that's a different, but it's def not a good look on older females.

• I like wearing leggings with oversized sweaters. If you're skinny enough, I think it looks good.

• I agree, but I think if the shirts, hoodies, etc. are long ( enough to cover most of the butt) then the leggings can look nice.

• I don't wear thin leggings as pants unless I'm working out, but I wear thick fleece lined ones as pants. And I wear yoga pants for working out, dance, and just chilling.

• Tights I agree with you... Leggings aren't really any different from yoga pants though.

• i agree and live it

• Yeah, I agree. I've never seen anyone's butt look good in leggings. It looks more in place when worn under shorts or a dress.

• Haha I only wear as pants but myblouse is usually7 long anf my butt isn't exposed.

• Preach it!

• No one wears tights as pants lol...I wear leggings under big sweaters but usually my butt is exposed slightly.

• I look good in them as pants so I wear them as pants - only with boots though.

• I wear leggings if I have a long sweater on, but tights are always under shorts, skirt, dress stc.

• Different styles. I don't like them much but it's suits some people.

• You see.. I thought this too and I used to shun everyone that wore leggings a pants. Until I got my first pair of jeggings and once you go there you just can't go back. They're so comfortable. I put on jeans now and I'm just like "gross.. why would anyone wear these everyday?" It's just.. ahhh.

Seriously, girls if you don't wanna get hooked don't start. It's like crack it only takes one time.

What Guys Said 4

• I ain't complainin

• I have never ever seen a girl wear tights as pants, but I agree with you on the leggings.

• girls think it's hot to wear just leggings/tights with nothing else with it. they're not pants, girls, you GOT TO WEAR SOMETHING ELSE

• I see no problem with females wearing tights and yoga pants stand alone