Why do girls like tall guys?

This is a curiosity for me. I've noticed a lot of girls answer that they like tall guys.

Thoughts?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's something to do with the need for protection. Tall guys appear stronger and more confident, therefore they appeal more to women's need to feel safe.

• Well shit... I'm only 5'5

• It's unfair, but that's just the way it is. Don't worry about it yet though. There are plenty of short girls who want to be able to kiss a guy without having to stand on their toes.

• That's true its biological same reason why men actually prefer curvier girls because they are better for reproducing and carrying children than a skinnier girl.

What Girls Said 17

• Um...no idea. I don't know if we've been conditioned to like tall men or if it's a biological thing.

You could argue that tall men catch our eyes because of their height so we pay more attention to them and thus find ways to find them attractive (due to more attention being paid to them) than we can about the shorter males.

You could argue that height is a symbol of "good breeding" and say that in primal times height was good for hunting and carrying large amounts of food and that's why we in modern times like men who are tall.

You could argue that tall men look confident due to their height and thus feed off the attention drawn to them by the women who think they are confident and then truly become confident and women like confident men.

You could argue that because tall men are tall they are looked to as leaders and women are drawn to leader-like men.

You could argue that the way muscles are laid out on tall men is more aesthetically pleasing than muscles on shorter men.

You could argue that the added height makes girls feel safe with them because they are large enough to protect her should the need arise. This too could be something from back in primal times and yet, even though women have become independent and able to defend themselves, is still a trait found attractive.

You could argue that height could be mistaken for strength and women are attracted to strong men.

Just a few ideas.

• Since height is often associated with strength, tall guys make us feel safe and protected. I'm sure that evolution has to do with why we even like feeling safe and protected.

Dating tall dudes back in the olden, barbaric days was probs some kind of survival mechanism, since girls have always been the smaller and weaker sex.

Fast forward a few thousand years later, and the survival mechanism turns into a social norm. Date a guy who's taller than you, 'cause like, why not?

While being the weaker sex isn’t all that great, we like the idea of being and/or feeling small, because small = feminine, and femininity also happens to attracts guys.

• It makes him look manlier and stronger, which make him more appealing. However, it also has to do with a girl's personal tastes. For one, I've dated a short guy and a tall guy, and liked the short one better. Hugging the tall guy felt awkward and it was difficult to snuggle comfortably. The short guy was still taller than me, though. I wouldn't like it if a guy was shorter than me, but that's nearly impossible to happen since I'm short as hell myself!

Anyway... yeah, many girls may like a tall guy, but that's no rule :) I'd personally prefer a not-that-tall guy any day. Extra points if he has a beard ;)

• It's not that they like tall guys, it's just that they like guys that are taller than they are.

• I think it's a bit of a generalization to be fair. I think it's more to do with you being taller then us. As long as a guy is substantially taller it's fine. So I'm 5 ft 2 a guy has to be 5 ft 7 or 8 at least. For a girl who is 5 ft 7 they'd want someone 5ft 10 to 6 ft. It doesn't really matter with the right guy though. It's only superficial women who say that. I'm with someone 6ft but it wasn't cos he was tall that I liked him. We had a connection :)

• Speaking for myself of course. I just like them because they are bigger than me, and I feel like a cute little nugget in their arms. ^_^

• Will, I guess it feels like more protection, and you can hug them and snuggle into their chest, but I think it mostly depends on what the girl likes.

• Yeah, I'm one of them too, I like tall guys but 6'3' above is too tall for me. It might not easy for him to kiss me..

• LONG looks attractive to me... as oppose to something short! I don't know how to explain why I'm attracted to a specific style or thing, I am simply just attracted by it... I like it, I just do!

• I never really understood this and a lot of my friends are the same way. For me, height is something like I don't know, bones! It's just there, nothing to hate or not like. Neither a short or a tall guy are going to make me choose one over the other.

• if I ask you why guys like pretty girls? what you would answer me...

nature selection maybe...

• I just like the idea of looking up to a guy.

• I like taller guys because I'm a tall girl. And when I hug a taller guy I feel like a tinier version of myself. So really I like to pretend I'm not such a tall freak. Silly but true.

• You know that tall women are the sexiest thing ever and they are made to feel bad about themselves by short men who can't handle them and short jealous women. So be proud you gorgeous tall beauty!

• Oh my! My ego has been boosted now. Thank you, sir :)

• It looks more masculine for a man to be tall. Also it makes him look like he could protect a woman.

• For protection and it makes me feel more feminie

• Makes me feel more feminine, being 5'7.

• Why do guys like short girls? It's all evolution.

What Guys Said 17

• That's like saying why do guys like big titties and round asses.

You just...do.

• It is societal and gender stereotype thing. Here is a brilliant study study published a few weeks ago. It explains almost every question surrounding why women prefer taller guys.The Background and Discussion are particularly interesting

link

• I would take that with a grain of salt. Its biological women like bigger and taller guys because its protection doesn't necessarily have to be taller but it helps being shorter or medium height with muscles helps too. Media shows skinner girls but that's not what men actually prefer we prefer thicker girls or curvier ones because its biological too they are better for carrying a baby.

• Yeah. I take published studies and their literature reviews with a grain of salt too...

• Height is typically associated with strength, for instance in a fight, most of the time you would pick the tall guy to win. Also socially, height is a masculine trait and as such in many cases tall men have more confidence than short men, allowing them to pursue women more freely and really everything in general.

Of course this is not always the case, some short guys are content with it, and some tall guys are still short and intimidated by everything but this is the stereotype that is pounded in girls heads by the media, society and even some biological factors.

That's at least why I believe women find taller men attractive (in many cases)

• It might have to do with survival. Tall guys are sometimes more intimidating, and thus some women may interpret that stature as better being able to protect them.

I was once told by a girl I care about, that all she wanted to feel, was safe.

• On a more conscious modern note. Hollywood condition women with their romantic films that tall good looking are the desired. Look at the Nicolas Sparks films... Only Zac Efron is below 6ft and significantly at that but he can get away with it because of his other assets.

• Primal urges (taller guys = stronger genetics and the feeling of "protection") are here to stay; mass socialization will never make this and other primal urges go away!

• Taller men appear more masculine and gives the impression that he can protect her.

Anyway, I guess I'm f*cked.

• As children we all look relatively similar. Height is one of the characterisitics that starts to differentiate men and women when puberty starts. Women like height for the same reason men like a nice hip to waist ratio, boobs, etc. It's a sign of sexual maturity in the opposite sex (physically speaking only).

• I guess it doesn't bother me much. I'm 15 and about 6'1 so it hasn't really bothered me.

• well we guys like big boobs, big butts, I guess is all goes back to evolution

• They prefer guys taller than themselves, not necessarily tall per se. If you are 6"8 and the girl is 4"8 then she probably will just think you are a giant. It's all relative. It's not often that the guy is smaller.

• Perhaps it's been like that for a very long time

• The same reason women prefer White men.

They'e associated with dominance.

• Psst, your racism is showing.

• LOL I'm white myself and women don't pay attention or look at me. I see more and more women with non white guys then white guys.

• You could have an Asian today if you wanted. To date a White man for them is virtually an accomplishment.

You could also get a Hispanic girl.

• They don't.

I'm pretty tall and don't get many girls at all.

Medium height guys are the ones that get all the girls.

• They only go for the top 20% of guys so they got to be really picky for everything

• They always like tall guys, not shorties.

• Most people are designed to be straight. Which means that we tend to attracted to traits most common in the other gender. Since men tend to be taller than women, women are more attracted to height. If everyone was born uninterested in the traits the opposite sex had, the human race would have died out long ago.

• Don't know why you got downvoted.

• My guess is either they don't believe some people are designed to be gay, or they mistook what I said as some anti gay statement.