How do you feel about Tattoo's?

Do you like them/hate them for yourself?

How about for others?

Do you think they should have meaning?

Or just as long as they look cool?

Most Helpful Guy

• Tattoos are just downright unappealing on both sexes especially women But since I'm not gay, I couldn't care less if men choose to look like a bunch of "digustos" too. What bothers me is when a really pretty chick wears a "tramp-stamp" or some other type of tattoo. I mean...aren't there any other better ways for someone to express themselves other than through permanently mutilating their own body? Like how about buying a piece of canvas and some watercolors in the art store and taking up painting to really express yourself rather than having someone else use you as the canvas? I'm old-school and when my generation was growing up, teens and young adults generally weren't into tattoos...it's a major turn-off for me and in poor taste unless you're a prisoner or a sailor in which case I guess it'd be fine for them...I hope that all those "inked" girls will still think that they're hot-looking as an 80 y/o woman strolling on the beach with all those mutilations still there on their wrinkled bodies...peace.

• 1: I can't draw myself, so expressing myself artistically would be a fail.

2: I will not live to be 80.. or wrinkly.. I will not allow it.

3: My body is already "mutilated" with piercings.

What Guys Said 20

• I can tolerate tattoos, but I don't care for them, and I've certainly never seen one IMPROVE anyone's looks. To me, they ALWAYS diminish attractiveness - it's just "how much."

I can appreciate the artwork in some of the better tattoo work, but that doesn't mean I think it belongs on someone's body. And the vast majority of tattoo work that I've seen has been pretty sad, with a lot of them being absolutely amateur. I also know that a LOT of people will regret their tattoos, and that they are often limiting to that person's future plans, whether that is getting a job, finding a partner, or whatever.

Having said all that, I'm a libertarian and I believe that everyone has a right to make their own choices (and to pay the consequences of those choices, if necessary). I would never want to make tattoos illegal or anything like that.

Mostly, I see tattoos as a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

• George Carlin said it best: "Remember when people got tattoos and piercings to be DIFFERENT?"

I have nothing against them per se, but I feel like they're kind of cliche and played out. People also get really stupid ones, and I know broke people that complain about not having money but turn around and blow $400 on a tat.

I definitely think I'll remain tattoo free. There's nothing I'd feel confident getting put on me that I'd still probably like when I'm older. I'm pretty clean cut, it wouldn't really go with my look.

For others, do you. Your body, your call. One of my friends is a very well respected tattoo artist, and I think his work is phenomenal. His tattoos are truly outstanding. If I ever were to get one, he's my guy.

I think I take tats more seriously when they have a meaning. I can respect nice artwork that looks cool, but that also says to me that you probably got a tattoo for the sake of getting a tattoo.

• Funny story about my buddy the tattoo artist, he got married for like 6 months about 8 years ago. So to commemorate, he got on one forearm the little ball and chain that would try to bite you in Super Mario Brothers . On his other forearm, he got a nutsack and a quarter, a nickel, a dime, and a penny. When shows it to you he says "Ball and chain...Balls and change." Anyone else would look weird, but he's a funny dude so it works, plus it's just two and he's tatted head to toe.

• A lot of people get tatts when they're young and then when they get older they look like raisins or cancerous lesions. At this point I'm glad I never got any. ; - )

• honestly that's the only thing that's stopped me from getting a tattoo.. The thought of being old with these tattoos weird me out for whatever reason.

• Well.. I don't plan to live to be as old as Palek..

We can't all be that awesome.

• ; - ) Die young and leave a good-lookin corpse, eh?

RT: You'd be glad you avoided it later!

• Call me old school - I have never liked tattoos and never will. I did 4 years in the US Navy and was probably one of the few who came out without a tattoo. Remember - you will get older. Skin does get saggy. You may regret it later. Think long and hard before you do it.

• I like tattoos and think they can look good on girls and guys. I just don't think they would fit my image. I don't have a rugged counter culture image.

If I didn't give a damn I'd get something like this.. link I love geometry tattoos mixed with a theme like with that one it has a Nordic theme.

I just don't think tattoos would fit me for some reason.

• That and the whole job thing I'd have to keep it hidden because our culture doesn't like things that are different. Also the whole having tattoos while old thing freaks me out.

• Alrighty I'll try to resist the butterflies.. Their pull is so strong though!

• just a quick though, I liked the geometry tattoo link you included, you might try henna tattoos, as they will give you the look, but then fade over time until they are gone, this way you can try it without both the expense or commitment.

• I'm an onion.

• if they pick it out off the wall from the tattoo shop (like some butterfly) then no. If it means something and is unique then yes they are cool with me. I don't have any. But I appreciate the body natural with scars and stretchmarks and whatever life throws your way. But meaningful tattoos are fine by me. Every girl I have ever been with has had them except 2.

• I hate them about 99% of the time. I appreciate the conceptual design of them, but they are almost universally banal in practice. And so many of them are just stupid fads, something meaningless that someone saw on some random person and decided to be a mindless mimic.

On women, they are always a black mark against her attractiveness to some lesser or greater degree, and depending on the tattoo or tattoos, can be a deal killer. Tattoos say something to me about a person's thoughtfulness and foresight.

• I don't think I would get one for myself, though they can be hot on a girl depending on what they are.

• I am not into tattoos. I prefer seeing and touching natural skin rather than inky skin. I've seen people with huge tattoos on their lower back or on their shoulder and tricept. I thought that was just crazy. Not my thing.

• I personally don't like tattoo's. I don't like doing anything permanent to my body. I think a girls natural body looks better then one with tattoo's but that being said its not a deal breaker. Doesn't really bother me that much. I really just don't care for them, but a lot of my friends have them.

• Tattoos are something people usually get when they want to seem artistic or cool, and they usually prove neither of those things

I just find it hilarious how many people get stupid tattoos. Really, you people (all of you) are like parodies of what people should really be like, sometimes.

You say really stupid and shortsighted things, and make silly decisions based on how you feel in the moment. I just think it's funny most of the time

• Then again, to me, trying at all is trying too hard

• they're good as long as they're tasteful, if they mean something. stupid Chinese script just for having Chinese script would be very unattractive. but for example I saw a girl today who had a nice, subtle tattoo on her wrist, and she was average looking but that made her way hotter, so...make wise decisions.

• for myself, no I'm not really a fan. For other people. sure why not. I think that a tattoo should have some sort of meaning to it since its permanent, but if people just want it for themselves because it looks cool, who am I to stop them

• I think they are cool easy way of telling which girls are sluts, I would feel such a loser though if took girl with tattoos on a date, like dating a hooker, tragic.

• Really?

I have a friend, who is a virgin, waiting for marriage.. and she has 2.

• My dear friend,I hate tattoos and girls with tattoos are turn off for me!

• Indifferent as long as you don't tattoo your face or anything like that. I will not judge others' reasons for getting tattoos, but personally if I got a tattoo I'd want it to have meaning.

• Or at least be something I know I'll like forever.

• Tattoos are like taking up smoking; you only do it when you are too young and dumb to realize you will regret it dearly a few years later.

• They're okay. How do you feel about tattoo tear drops on the face?

• I think it really depends on how they are done, and that person's face.

While, in general, I'd say face tattoo's are a bad idea..

I've seen some that work.. and some, that well, don't.

• Studies show that people with face tattoo's are 97 times more likely to rob a 7-11 than those without.

• LOL! How about you palek? Would you get one and shoot someone because they were texting or playing their music in their automobile?

What Girls Said 20

• I've got three already and I'm saving up for my third, so I love them. I think, like the others, as long as they mean something to you and as long as they're well done then they can be beautiful. I just don't like it when people get a bunch of random pictures just tattooed everywhere. I think it looks really stupid. I like when tattoos work with your body and conform and fit and just seem to be a natural occurrence, they just blend with the shape. I'd never judge people for getting a random tattoo off the wall, and I'd never judge someone for something I didn't understand. I might not like it but I'd never say anything and I would never dream of losing respect for them- there are a lot of things I've done deserved of lost respect so who am I to judge? I just think people should be careful.

Although I don't like people who get a tattoo and then get pissy when every one asks about it. I mean, seriously, if you didn't want people to ask get it somewhere else or cover it up. You can't get an undescribed image permanently printed on your body and not expect people to ask questions, that's just silly.

• Well, I don't think I would ever get one myself, however, I am not against tattoos and I think they can look really good on some people. For me, it's all about size, content, detail, and placement. Some people look great with tattoos and others do not. It just depends on the individual person and tattoo in my opinion.

• I like them as long as they're done well and aren't in bad places. Like, I saw a chick with a tattoo of a Hello Kitty on the top of her hand and I just thought to myself, "Why on your hand?" I try not to judge the tattoo itself because you never know the significance to it but there's nothing wrong with questioning the placement the person picked. And because of this, I have no problem when people ask me why I got certain tattoos where.

I have 6 soon to be 7 tattoos so I'm used to people giving me shit about them (older people usually) so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

• i love ones that are done right. I personally would love to have an anti possession symbol from supernatural on my shoulder blade. link

• I think some are cool on other people I wouldn't do it. I believe tattoos should have a meaning you see people with all these stupid tattoos that mean nothing it's ridiculous

• Tattoos are art on display constantly. I'm a big cry baby so I will never get one. I do however like how they look.

I think it's stupid when people try putting a meaning behind it or in honor of someone. I mean just be honest! You got it because you wanted it, don't have to make excuses for it.

Some tattoos are way better looking than others. It is def an art that some people aren't that good at.

• I love the whole idea of them and of as many great, artistic tattoos I've seen, I have seen just as many crappy, meaningless tattoos.

I like the idea of having a tattoo, but I'm a very fickle-minded person, so I do not want to get one until I'm completely 100% sure. I think they SHOULD have a meaning, so if I do get one, I already do have an idea of a tat I would get with a meaning behind it.

• Love them. People who get tattoos immediately stand out for me. It makes them interesting before I've even met them. They don't have to have meaning, but they have to at least be a nice piece of art. Just a random scribble seems kind of cheap to me. I'm still juggling a lot of ideas in my head. I have quite a few wishes, but I can't decide whether I should stick to one style for my whole body and which tattoo I should put where.

• I don't want them for myself. I don't see skin as a blank canvas but I know many people do and that's fine

• Love them! I mean there's bad ones yeah but done right they're hella tasteful. I don't have any yet but I hope to get some :)

• I wanna get one or two but then people say you regret the at age 70 so I'm not sure

• I wouldn't get any personally.

Others, that's cool. A form of art.

Im pretty neutral about them.

• I don`t care for them.

• I like tattoos in small quantities. I wanted to get a tattoo but I don't know what to get.

• I hate them too much. People goo too far for tattoo or body piercing so that they ruin their look

• i jus got one yesterday haha and it was an amazing experience, I think your tattoo should ALWAYS mean something about yourself that's really special to you, I mean your gonna have it for the rest of your life

• I'm not a huge tattoo fan, don't see the point in them :/

• If they have meaning and aren't tacky, they're great.

• I'm not a huge fan of tattoos on anyone. I don't mind them though

• I love them, but I really hate crappy tattoos. Miley Cyrus' early tattoos are a good example of what I'm talking about link link link

Thankfully, she's been getting a lot better quality work done, but nothing gets on my nerves more than a tattoo that looks like it was drawn with a pen in class while you were bored one day