Do women ever actually wear stockings?

Weird question here... but do women ever actually wear stockings?

Listening to a woman at work today talk about what was acceptable clothing in the office she mentioned stockings for women, which made me snigger as in my mind stockings are something that purely exist in lingerie.

Its not something I've ever really looked into of course, I'm not an up skirt looking pervert afterall, but from my limited knowledge most women I know always wear tights instead. I know my ex never wore stockings and always just wore tights when she wore a skirt as they were a lot less hastle (her words).

Hmm, I wonder if this was an English clash. The girl speaking was foreign so maybe she was using American English and not standard English .
By stockings in the UK we mean something that goes up to the thighs then stops. The sort I assume she meant are rather shear, like tights. Not wooly Christmas stockings/long socks.

Most Helpful Girl

• Stocking, hose, tights... the terms are almost interchangeable, in my mind. Tights can be sheer or thick cotton (in the US, though, "tights" tends to be reserved for thicker material), while hose and stockings are both sheer. I suppose the only difference between hose and stockings is that stockings cut off at the upper/mid thigh.

I haven't worn anything that would call for such a garment for many years, nor do I plan to any time soon. Having said that, yes, women do wear stockings. They are comparable to ankle or knee socks. It really isn't something redolent or comical enough to snicker at.

What Girls Said 11

• I do, as I freely admit to being something of a lingerie/hosiery junkie. Most women, if wearing hosiery go with tights (pantyhose) as they are simpler. Nylon stockings, be it thigh-hi stay-ups, are those requiring garters are usually reserved for when feeling a little risqué, or reserved for more intimate settings. I do wear them whenever I am sporting an outfit, which will prevent giving away too much in and around places like work. I love stockings and when wearing a longer skirt or dress will definitely go with them, otherwise it's tights and pantyhose.

• i wear tights or stockings everyday. please don't snicker at me.

• aren't stockings just thick tights? my mom calls them all stockings. it's just an old-fashioned term, that's all.

• I wore them all the time in college. It's part of our uniform. When I have classes I wore skin colored stockings and when at the hospital I wore white stockings. I was a nursing student.

• I agree with your ex. I've never worn stockings; just pantyhose (a. k. a. tights).

• yes they do

• No haven't worn them in years.

• I usually wear them with a skirt and when it's colder outside.

• When I wear dresses or skirts, which is rarely, I wear stockings underneath.

• I usually wear tights or hold-ups. But I bought myself a garter belt and proper stockings this weekend. My boyfriend seemed to like them.

• Yes I wear them :D when I go to church and it cold

• to CHURCH?
      That seems rather. wow. Image clash.

• I don't think it's typical but why not? So long as the dresses you wear are long enough to cover the garters. All my dresses are super short so tights are the only opinion but if I had the choice id wear stockings. Because you don't have to take them off to go to the bathroom.

What Guys Said 1

• My mom did. Long ago.