Guys, if your girl bought you clothes because you needed new clothes would you be mad?

My boyfriend and I live together at my parents and share a closet. I noticed that he doesn't have many newer clothes. Most of his clothes he has have holes in them or stains. He tells me he's had most of them since high school. I told him if he can't afford to get a few clothes a month to replace his old holey clothes, I would buy him more. I went out a few days ago to Walmart and bought him a pack of white T's n two pairs of jeans. He wears these things on a regular basis, so it isn't like I'm trying to change him. All I'm trying to do is help him out a little bit. He didn't seem to get mad and he really didn't say anything about it, but he didn't seem too thrilled either.
soooo.
Guys, how should I interpret this and would you be mad if your girl did this as well?

Most Helpful Guy

• It wouldn't bother me, because I know I have terrible taste in clothes. Any time someone has complimented me on something I'm wearing, it's an item that was bought for me by a girl.

In your case, it's possible that he has the money for new clothes, but that looking good in new clothes is a low priority thing for him. He doesn't care about his appearance.

You buying the clothes for him, kind of makes him feel weird. It's a little emasculating, and it's a little bit of you saying "Clothes matter, stop spending your money on frivolous shit and buy yourself a clean shirt once in a while"

What Guys Said 3

• In the situation you've mentioned I would be thankful because you took the time, effort and your own money to go and get me some clothes. I would never wear clothes from high school that had holes or stains in them. So if I'm still wearing them that must obviously mean that either money is too tight or I just haven't had the time to go out and buy any. In either case, I would be thankful. I wouldn't be mad but I would be concerned that you may view me as a slob (for lack of better word) and maybe think I'm not good enough.

Now, if my girl bought me new clothes because I needed to change my style, then we may have a bit of a problem.

Either way, you sound like a nice girlfriend. Well done :)

• I would be happy and grateful but it sounds like he might be feeling inferior that he can't afford new clothes and you bought them for him. Just my opinion

• Sounds like he just doesn't care all that much about clothes. He wasn't thrilled (or upset) that you bought him new clothes because come on, he's had the same clothes since high school. Shouldn't that tell you it isn't something he thinks about? :P

What Girls Said 1

• I agree with the guy that's just commented.