Do you think there is a general consensus on physical beauty or do you truly believe its in the 'eye of the beholder'?

A general consensus meaning most people usually know when they see a physically attractive or unattractive person?

Or do you truly believe its in the eye of the beholder. its dependent on an individual opinion?

Most Helpful Girl

• There certainly is a consensus to some extent. Due to evolution, we instinctively look for the mate that appears most healthy. This means that what we find physically attractive in strangers is usually based on whether it makes them look healthy and like a suitable mate. For instance, we look for healthy looking skin, and a symmetrical face and other features, because that indicates health and lack of disease.
    Women's physical attractiveness is often based on their hips and their breasts, because those can be used to tell how fit of a mother the woman will be. In today's society, we also generally prefer skinny women, because the skinny ones are the ones who can afford to eat healthy and go to the gym, which suggests wealth, making the woman a good partner. It used to be that plumper women were considered attractive, because they could afford to eat well and not work much, when most poor people couldn't.
    Attractiveness in men is also often based on their bodies. However, what exactly women find attractive when varies. It's been shown that normally, women are more attracted to men who are more muscular, and look more like the general masculine stereotype, because they will be the ones whose offspring will be strongest and most likely to survive. Also, features that indicate more testosterone will be found attractive, like squarer jaws. However, pregnant women, or women on birth control that makes their bodies think they are pregnant, find less masculine men more attractive. This is because at that stage, women want men who will stick around to care for the child, and will make good fathers.
    Of course, different people do have different tastes in what makes someone physically attractive. Some may prefer taller people, some shorter, some skinnier, some plumper, some more muscular. But if you look at the media and at models, you will see similarities among them, which are what we find traditionally physically attractive.

What Girls Said 3

• I think beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Although there is a general consensus to what physical attributes are attractive, each person has a certain type. What's beautiful to one person, could be average to another. Even looking at a celebrity whom the public has deemed beautiful, our opinions do vary and I doubt you'll get a unanimous agreement.

Moving beyond the physical, people also look at qualities of a person. Not everyone will base beauty on character or personality , but a lot of us will take both into consideration when we're interacting with others. So in that way, the epitome of our ideal beauty has variations, and is dependent on our personal tastes not a consensus.

• I think it's a bit of both. I believe that some features are more visually pleasing than others, but I think it's mostly in the beholder. Recently I have discovered that one of my roommates and I have very different tastes. We joke about how we never have to fight over a guy. But of course there are a lot of "conventionally" hot people (for the lack of a better phrase) that we both find attractive.

• It really is in the eye of the beholder. we all have our own views about beauty.

What Guys Said 6

• I know for a fact that there's variation within the males.. but general consensus doesn't mean 100% agreement... so yeah, I'd call it a general consensus, but with definite variation.

• For men, 70-80% consensus, 20-30% eye of the beholder.

For women, maybe 50-60% consensus, 40-50 eye of the beholder.

• There's some qualities that are generally seen as attractive, but I do think for the most part that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• I think it's about half-and-half objective and subjective.

• I think it is some of both.

• it is in the eye of the beholder. You can have 10 women. Guy A could like women 3,4,5. Guy B 5,6 7. Guy C 1,2,5 and Guy D 5,8, 10. Now there is a variation among what we they like, but there is an over lap ( woman 5). They all agree that she is pretty but she isn't the only standard for beauty, Just the one that most people can agree to