Self Harm Scars. What is your honest opinion?

I was wondering about guys and girls opinions on self harm scars. I have some on both of my upper thighs. They are not too bad but you can tell what they are. Is it a major turn off?

Most Helpful Guy

• Not a major turn-off unless she made it a point to constantly hide them from me because I often enjoy my girlfriend being completely naked in front of me. If I'm with a girl, I'm with her regardless of scars. If I accept them, so should she.

What Guys Said 2

• major turn off. not just visually, but because it shows she has terribly unhealthy coping mechanisms. Not someone I'd want to be involved with.

• what if they had learned more healthy coping skills and had stopped cutting?

• possibly. it would take a lot of convincing. a lot of people say they're over/past things and really aren't.

• It breaks my heart and makes me want to be strong for her. I saw a girl come into the waterpark I worked at with "ugly" etched onto her leg with a knife. I really felt for her.

What Girls Said 3

• It would make me sad to see a friend or loved one had them, but that's about all. As long as the self-harm is in their past, that's what I would care more about.

• I have female friends who have self harmed in the past. I wouldn't date a guy who had them, I don't think. It's a good think my female friends and I were friends before they went through that phase because if we'd have met during that phase we wouldn't be friends I'm sorry to say. And being there for them throughout their ordeals and after I can tell you it's a LOT of emotional stress even though I never harmed myself. Just dealing with the emotional baggage they carried with them from it was very difficult.

Not sure if it's the scars or just my friends in general but guys tend to avoid them. Too much baggage and emotional responsibility.

• to me it is. but i mean i have had bad experiences with my family self harming