Advise on being the only black girl in school?

I am the only black person in my school and it is very awkward sometimes. Don't have friends that like the same thing I do and no guys want to ask my our or anything. Any advise?

Most Helpful Guy

• I can empathize for how you feel. My advice to you is to broaden your horizons and be open to exposure to new things. Exposure to people besides those exactly like you is how one grows and becomes cultured.

I went to a university that had less than 2% black students during my span there. I was exposed to totally different cultures opposite of my own black American culture that I was raised within.

I met people from all walks of life and have definitely become more well rounded of a person.

As you get to know more and more non-black people, you will realize that these people may have more in common with you than you may initially realize!

----

As black-to-black advice, please please PLEASE don't fall into the trap of trying so hard to "keep it real" or not to "sell out", to the point of being a closed minded bigoted a-hole.

That is the #1 reason why so many non-blacks are intimidated or even literally fearful of black people; they seem so cliquey "with their own kind" that they come off as mean, or even violently scary to some (but not all) non-black people.

----

In short when I notice a black person having a hard time fitting into a school setting, most of the time it is because said person is too proud within their own (black American ) culture, to allow themselves to be exposed to, and therefore don't socially reach out to, different types of people "besides their own kind"...
    ...
    ...
    ...and having that mentality sends out aura waves that repel others away from you. People can sense that on people, and most don't bother with such people.

I hope my rant helped you.

• Glad I was able to help you...and thank you for choosing me as "most helpful!" :-P

What Guys Said 3

• Well maybe there is guys who do want to ask you out but they may be nervous and scared to. its a hard thing for people to do, plus your not always going to like the same stuff as your friends, sure me and my best friend share nothing in common at all but we have a good friendship but we don't do a lot of activities cus we don't like the same thngs. I would advise u to talk to more to guys and girls, make ur self more approachable, would you consider yourself shy? like you are beautiful so id say you would definitely get someone asking you out.

• At my school there aren't very many black people either. I kinda wish there was more diversity. I don't have any black friends.

I would be your friend if I went to your school. I am half Mexican and half white.

I even feel sometimes people don't like me because i am half Mexican. There are a lot of conservatives at my school.

• You don't have specific hobbies because of your skin color, you have hobbies based on what you like. What are your hobbies or some things you like doing?

What Girls Said 2

• I know it's very difficult but continue to be yourself.
    I am sure there are others with common interests like you, but because of the cultural difference they are distancing themselves from getting to know you.
    Smile , be friendly, greet people.
    Let them know that there isn't anything to distancing themselves from.
    When you show you are willing to know people, they will show the same themselves.

• Own who you are! I'm sure if you search a little you'll find someone that has at least one similar interest as you then you guys can introduce each other to new activities that each of you like. As for guys, that's just how they are! give it time! it'll all work out.