Do you think Hollywood dictates the standard of beauty for the whole world? What if most movies were made in e.g. China?

Do you think the standard of beauty would be slanted eyes, black hair, slender body, etc?

Or if most movies were made in an African country with African stars, do you think the standard of beauty would fit according to the features of African women?

(We all know that the standard of beauty is pretty much caucasian features. Which is why Asian women want to have pale skin, wide eyes, high nose bridges, narrow noses, etc. and many men drool over blue-eyed blondes with big boobs. Many black women wished they had lighter skin, and plastic surgeries all over the world are making more and more Asian women look "white". I think it's mostly caused by the movie industry being dominated by white people and white stars, making everyone want to look like them).

Thoughts and opinions on this?

Most Helpful Guy

• 1. I won't say Hollywood 'dictates' the standard for looks in women or even men
    2. However, it remains a fact that Hollywood movies reach out to a far larger audience apart from being technically very well made.
    3. Also that Hollywood movies are English that the whole world understands better as it's the world language thanks to the British colonization (including America herself)
    4. Most of the world doesn't understand the difference between Caucasian, Hispanic etc; they just see as you say rightly white skin, blond (or brunette or red head) hair, blue / green etc eyes, taller and well shaped women etc
    5. Since Hollywood not only reaches out to every country apart from the propaganda machinery obviously being stronger & effective but also for most colored people to see the pale skin people is more through this medium than in person (most of the dark skin countries' currency rates are much lower than the $ so they don't travel much for vacations to Europe or America the way even a small earner from America or most countries in Europe can travel to their country) apart from right from pre colonization era where pale skinned people have been looked upto in awe - all these contribute to most people thinking about living that lifestyle and having those looks :)
    6. There are various such reasons that people don't realize consciously that occur in their minds but yes they take it upon themselves to imitate what is perceived as in the movies. Hollywood being the largest center with maximum movies and highly advanced ones at that - yes people generally want to ape them (& as intended too)
    7. As on date there are various movies that are made in China (even a hell lot of p*rn involving especially women of Chinese ethnicity) and a lot of men like Chinese / Asian women especially because of their lithe frame. It's a matter of time and evolution, tastes change from time to time.

• There's so much that can be spoken about this but everything is subjective to various aspects :)

What Guys Said 10

• I'm sure it does for many people... if you look at the lists of worlds 100 sexiest women, the majority of them are white women. For me personally, not a chance... then again I watch more foreign cinema than anything else and i've always had a preference for Asian girls. Because they're just far prettier in my opinion.

• But if you look closer, the Asian women deemed to look beautiful have caucasian features, at least to some extent. Look at all the Korean stars. They all have big eyes and high nose bridges and fair skin.

• I wouldn't say that... anyway i'm not attracted to Asian women more because they have white features, it's their natural features that I like.

• Nah. That whole deal with other races trying to look "white" is all due to female insecurities. You can also say that the industries merely play on these insecurities and that's why there are so many products out. It's like the chicken or the egg, which came first?

Guys don't give a fuck about any of that. We like what we like.
    I know a guy at work that's a chubb chaser. and I mean CHUBB. I love slender girls... and yes I do like blondes with blue eyes but I also like black girls and Asian girls. It really doesn't matter. I'm not really into super black women but I think that main actress from "the help" is a stone fucking fox!

• Yes, the movie and media empires affect people all over the world. I think it's a little sad when everyone wants to look like some vapid US movie star in an airbrushed picture, after plastic surgery.

Personally I prefer the delicate features and perfect skin many Asian women have. You can't get those from surgery, really.

• Unfortunately it's true that Hollywood dictates what beauty should look like. Even up to the criminal level where they oblige beautiful girls to undergo surgery to "have that nose corrected" or remove those 2 kilos of remaining fat. It's so incredibly sad.
    People are beautiful as they are.
    It's so nice that this planet has the richness of having people with difficult looks, skin colours and cultures. There are beautiful girls in the Caucasus, South-East Asia, North America, Africa, Europe and everywhere in between. Without the need for surgery!

• Most white people want to get a tan.

If both genders would just get to have peek into their respective genders locker rooms during a busy season, I think we'd all just let a whole lot of shit slide. There's not much more horrific than old people in locker rooms.

• I honestly think that all this perfection is beginning to look very sad and the proof of the pudding is as follows:

10 years ago perfect women: blonde, big boobs, blue eyes bla bla bla

present day really sad and false!

• Yeah, i rlly think they do because of the sheer popularity of these movies and the fame of the actors. (i still luv Asians !)

• It definitely has an impact on culture and style but there's other factors too such as trends and what fashon companies promote

• No, I don't believe the media (or anyone for that matter) has some Godlike ability to manipulate the minds of all humans. I think they just exploit human nature to maximize profits.

• yes i think the media determines what is hot and what is not. Women are influenced by it more than men are

What Girls Said 3

• For me beauty is in the demeanour, character and attitude. Looks isn't enough to make somebody beautiful in my eyes and a woman who lacks modesty in my opinion, can never be beautiful. I don't find most movie stars to be beautiful because they lack modesty, humility, character, intelligence, class, peace and sexuality. I prefer men who are protective of their woman and I prefer woman who are compassionate and tender hearted. Movie stars simply aren't beautiful.

• "a woman who lacks modesty in my opinion, can never be beautiful."

I love you for this. I find Kate Winslet to be more beautiful than all of those women who have half their melon breasts spilling over their tops

• As a non White woman, I think yes it is. I even used myself to conduct a social experiment on this matter. I am mix race so I look exotic. I have dark eyes, dark hair and tan skin. I have big boobs too. I straighten my hair, went from black to dirty blonde. I wore light eye contacts too. I did that just to see how the opposite gender and people around me will respond. The result was something that I actually expected lol. I got more attention and I also get complimented almost everywhere. Sadly, even many guys of my own race saying I look 'good' that way.I remember when I went to the bank there was this lady who asked about my race.As soon as I told her what race am I she said something like "oh wow BUT you look so beautiful"

Not sure if the experiment result is strong enough to proof the stereotype lol but for me there is a correlation there. You can see though I am not a White woman but at least I resemble them by having one of two of their physical traits.

• I agree that blonde hair attracts more attention than brown or black hair.

• No big boobs is a female trait. Being attracted to feminine curves is a raw and biological desire in males. It's innate.

And blonde hair is youthful and eye catching.

Heterosexual men are drawn naturally to youth and femininity because their bodies are programmed to mate with healthy females. Fertile females are youthful and highly feminine.

• blonde hair is only youthful on white women. Women on other races are born with dark hair.

And Asian skin produces more oil than most white women's skin, making their skin look more elastic and stays young longer. And African skin just GLOWS! I'd say that when it comes to skin, non-white women have the advantage.

• Just for diversification purposes, I love me some darker hair.

Blonde hair is whatever. But dark hair is intense!

• I wouldn't say that, although there are many guys that are into that... it's by no means biological or set in stone. I'm a guy, but that isn't my preference at all. I would say femininity is the only one on the list that i'm actually drawn to... Youth? Meh some older women can be better looking than youthful ones. I feel that if it was in my biology as a male that i'd only want to date the same girls as every other guy.