Do you think the standard of beauty would be slanted eyes, black hair, slender body, etc?
Or if most movies were made in an African country with African stars, do you think the standard of beauty would fit according to the features of African women?
(We all know that the standard of beauty is pretty much caucasian features. Which is why Asian women want to have pale skin, wide eyes, high nose bridges, narrow noses, etc. and many men drool over blue-eyed blondes with big boobs. Many black women wished they had lighter skin, and plastic surgeries all over the world are making more and more Asian women look "white". I think it's mostly caused by the movie industry being dominated by white people and white stars, making everyone want to look like them).
Thoughts and opinions on this?
Most Helpful Guy
1. I won't say Hollywood 'dictates' the standard for looks in women or even men
2. However, it remains a fact that Hollywood movies reach out to a far larger audience apart from being technically very well made.
3. Also that Hollywood movies are English that the whole world understands better as it's the world language thanks to the British colonization (including America herself)
4. Most of the world doesn't understand the difference between Caucasian, Hispanic etc; they just see as you say rightly white skin, blond (or brunette or red head) hair, blue / green etc eyes, taller and well shaped women etc
5. Since Hollywood not only reaches out to every country apart from the propaganda machinery obviously being stronger & effective but also for most colored people to see the pale skin people is more through this medium than in person (most of the dark skin countries' currency rates are much lower than the $ so they don't travel much for vacations to Europe or America the way even a small earner from America or most countries in Europe can travel to their country) apart from right from pre colonization era where pale skinned people have been looked upto in awe - all these contribute to most people thinking about living that lifestyle and having those looks :)
6. There are various such reasons that people don't realize consciously that occur in their minds but yes they take it upon themselves to imitate what is perceived as in the movies. Hollywood being the largest center with maximum movies and highly advanced ones at that - yes people generally want to ape them (& as intended too)
7. As on date there are various movies that are made in China (even a hell lot of p*rn involving especially women of Chinese ethnicity) and a lot of men like Chinese / Asian women especially because of their lithe frame. It's a matter of time and evolution, tastes change from time to time.0