What would you think if someone wore long sleeves year-round?

If you live in an area which gets really hot and humid in the spring/summer, what would you think of someone who always wears long sleeves? Particularly if this girl is skinny (so she wouldn't be hiding arm fat), doesn't have a religious reason, and doesn't burn easily in the sun...

Most Helpful Girl

• I think she is really insecure about her arms, could be that she has scars there from her childhood, a whole lot of armhair, maybe she selfharms (which could also mean burning herself), maybe she gets abused by someone which leaves bruises. There can be all kind of reasons. But I think the most logical reason is that she selfharms. Maybe you could ask her how she is?

• Or she just likes to wear long sleeves because she thinks it looks nice, but I don't think that's it.

• Thanks for the detailed answer. :) I really hope she just has hairy arms or something. I'm seeing her tonight so I'll make sure to ask how she is, like you suggested. Thank you.

• Good luck, hope she is alright :)

What Guys Said 4

• Could be a lot of reasons. My friend had melanoma and has to wear long sleeves year around. He even lives in an area that regularly gets up to 110 (43) in the summer.

If I lived in a place that got hot and humid and someone always wore long sleeves, I'd probably just ask them.

• I'd think she maybe had gotten a lot of tacky tattoos.

• I would be surprised at first but not give it much thought. No big deal to me. If she feels more comfortable always wearing long sleeves then she should do it.

• She cuts. Emo.

What Girls Said 5

• maybe she has self harm scars she is afraid of showing or she is self concious about her arms in some other way

• I would think that they are cutting or are hiding a tattoo

• i wouldn't think anything

• I think she cuts herself.

• This depends on local norms. I have relatives that live in California where it gets insanely hot (not necessarily humid, but still) and they always wear long sleeves and pants to protect themselves from the sun (and when they work on their ranch).

If I saw this where I'd live (where it gets very humid in the summer), I'd think, "huh…she must be warm" then carry about my day. Not really a big deal, in my opinion.