eBay - when the seller sends you a wrong item - who pays for the shipping fees to send it back?

When it is clearly not your fault, who should pay for the shipping fees to send the item back to the seller?

It would be very expensive for me to pay for it + it's not my fault in the least. How do I avoid getting ripped off?

Every time I open a case the only options that exist:
1. full refund with me sending the item back at my own expense
2. ask for the correct item again -with me shipping the wrong item back at my own expense
3. partial refund

Most Helpful Guy

• You really should work this out with the seller - most would prefer to take care of it and keep negative feedback off of their account. If you can't resolve it with the seller directly, only then should you escalate with eBay/PayPal (but keep an eye on the time, and don't let your dispute period run out).

What Guys Said 8

• you paid for shipping initially and got the wrong product. I don't see any reason why you should have to pay shipping if a seller sent you the wrong product.

I would just kindly tell the person, if they are trying to make you pay for shipping, that it is the seller's responsibility to correct their errors.

if they don't write some bad reviews.

• I sell on ebay for a living. I have sent the wrong item (got the labels mixed up with another order) refunded and paid for shipping back never to see either DVD again. But I still have good feedback, don't hold any grudges (it was my mistake) and now I am much more careful. Most complaints end up being refunded and I tell them to keep it. That said I sold a DVD 'O'Brother Where art thou' once to this woman who said it was for a seniors home. She wrote to me and said that it must be a counterfeit because they didn't remember some of the songs being in it before and was certain some were missing. Accused me of adding and deleting scenes from the movie. I'm like ya, I got a studio here lady..Never saw that DVD back either.

Best bet is to nicely ask the seller for a resolution that doesn't involve you spending any money to have it resolved. If that doesn't work, open a case with paypal, or if you paid with credit card ask for a chargeback. Try not to slam the seller on feedback unless they are rude and extremely unpleasant. What did you buy if you mind me asking?

• I bought this sleeveless jacket/raincoat, but instead they sent me some sort of a button up shirt.

• I've been involved in such transactions. If the item you received is not as described, it is up to the seller to cover shipping charges both ways.

I would open a dispute, requesting either a refund or the correct item shipped. If the seller wants the incorrect merchandise back, it can be handled in two ways:

They can pay for a CALL TAG with a shipping company and then the shipper arrives at your doorstep to simply pick up said merchandise or

They simply pay you the amount already listed for shipping on the ebay listing.

The first is the proper way if the shipping is very low or free, the second if it's a reasonable amount or overpriced, which is how some sellers try to make extra money.

Assuming you used a credit card for payment, commonly through a third party such as PayPal, you are in full control. If it's too expensive to send back, the seller will likely just forfeit the merchandise.

What kind of merchandise was it?

• The seller.

File a claim with both eBay and Paypal. That's totally ridiculous and there's no way you should be paying to return an incorrect item. I would NEVER go for that.

• They should.

Avoid getting ripped of by only buying from sellers with 95%+ positive feedback.

Contact them, if they do not resolve the issue, contact ebay.

• They should pay
    but if the hassle is too great, simply list it for sale

• LittleSally: If I were you I would open a dispute immediately and then also let the seller know. This way you are covered. You SHOULD NOT have to pay for shipping.

• Sounds about right

What Girls Said 1

• Contact the seller first off, if you haven't already.
    Also report it to ebay and they should help you take care of it.

• When I contact ebay the always tell me I'm supposed to pay for the return shipping even though it's not my fault and I provided pictures for evidence! o.O

• Um are you sure?
      And did you contact the seller to discuss this yet? Ebay seems to be more willing to help if the seller is uncooperative or unresponsive when it comes to stuff like this.

Also there's their Money Back Guarantee:
      pages.ebay.com/.../how-to-help.html

"What’s covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee?
      The eBay Money Back Guarantee protects you in case you do not receive your item, or if the item is not as described in the listing. It covers purchases that are usually sent by mail"

• Yes, I know all this, but every time I open a case the only options that exist are:
      1. full refund with me sending the item back at my ow expense
      3. partial refund