Girls - how would you think of a guy if you found out he's wearing a wig?

I have premature male pattern baldness and i've tried just about every medication and lifestyle modification to reverse it but it's resistant. The only option I have now for a full head of hair is a wig, and it's not expensive either.
I've always felt like I'd be a phony if I wore a wig, but hey, don't girls wear mascara, eyeliner, contact lens etc etc?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm going to be honest, I'd think it was odd. Baldness isn't terrible. A lot of guys go bald. My dad started going bald when he was 19, my brother, who is 21, is currently going bald. It happens. Embrace the bald! I don't think mascara or contact lenses are the same as a wig. For one thing, unless you're talking about color contacts, tons of people wear contacts for sight purposes. It's not faking anything, it's just not wanting the hassle of glasses some days. I can't stand glasses, they hurt my nose. You can usually tell if a girl is wearing mascara, it's not THAT big a change, they aren't really hiding anything. However, I think if you wear a wig, you're hiding a lot, in my mind. Unless you're up front and say that you're wearing a wig. I would compare it to girls wearing foundation and cover up, you don't actually see what's under it. I don't wear foundation because it seems so fake to me, I'm not perfect so I won't cover everything up and act perfect only to take it off and then people having no idea who I am because they've never seen my actual face. That's what a guy wearing a wig just because he's going a bit bald would be like to me. If there was a sickness of some sort that caused the baldness, I think that's a different story. But just plain bald just cause? It seems wrong for a guy to wear a wig. But that's just my opinion.

• What if he was a Woman?

• That's difficult for me, because like I said, I hate when people cover things up, but female baldness is not socially accepted, whereas, male baldness is. People that will see a bald man, no matter how old he is and not think anything of it. Those same people could see a bald woman and wonder what is wrong with here, even if she is just a bald woman. Society doesn't accept bald women. That being said, I still wouldn't like someone hiding something like that if I were a potential partner or friend. I think, and this could change if it ever happens, I don't know, if I were to lose all my hair I would start myself a really nice hat collection. I would probably wear wigs sometimes but I don't imagine myself putting on a wig every day. Like I said, I can't say what I would ACTUALLY do, but that's what I think I would do. To each their own, though.

What Girls Said 13

• I think that it depends. I mean if not having a full head of hair is somewhat discomforting to the individual I'd understand..I mean maybe not tell me straight away, but if we were beginning to get into a somewhat serious relationship then I'd like to know about it. Generally girls like guys who are confident and should just be themselves, but I understand that there is some sort of physical attraction that needs to be initiated first. You'd have to find a good and realistic wig, if it's obvious that you're wearing a wig then it might be somewhat off puting. On the other hand, your hair will eventually fade away anyway, if the girl you are with would leave you because of that then she's not worth it. Looks eventually fade, its the individual that remains. Maybe shave off your whole head, and go for that look? Sometimes that works? Whatever you decide, just be confident and comfortable with yourself.

• Admit it from the get go. If she can't get past something as trivial as baldness she's not worth the stress. Instead, let her know you feel more comfortable wearing a wig and if she accepts that, then no worries, and I believe you may have found a keeper as well! I wasn't so sure about how my boyfriend felt about me until he woke my up one morning and I had a birds nest on my head and no makeup on half zombified out of my mind and he called me beautiful. Find someone who will do the same for you. It's worth holding out for.

• Yep and if she leaves in the end just because of the wig guess what you didn't lose anything because apparently she wasn't worth your time to begin with

• I'd only be somewhat comfortable with it if you admitted it right away. If not and I found out the wrong way, I'd wonder what else have you got to hide...

• if he's comfortable with a wig then no problem. i would prefer it to bald. plenty of women wear extensions, pr weaves or get perms or straighten their hair bla bla bla-so big deal.

• that's not very masculine

• Lmao..I would care..see..mascara and all those things are not worn 24/7 just on occasions but a wig is a 24/7..just shave your head bald..I rather you have nothing than a dead animal on your head

• Bald is sexy-a wig is not.

• I tried the shave look, but I'm no basketball player - I have a funny head shape. It's also irritating when people make you the butt of their bald jokes.
      Girls often make comments like "If I'm to be attracted to a guy, he should at least have hair on his head"

• i think he is gay or playing trick behind my back

• You could always get a hair transplant.

• Bald guys are sexy. Own it. If you don't like going shaved, then just keep your existing hair trimmed close to your head (shorter hair looks thicker).

• Embrace your baldness. I can accept and even find a bald guy hot because a guy in a wig...not so much

• it's better to get your hair short as much as you can and if you have a nice shape of head go bald. it's much sexier than a wig. wig would make me think you're weird :)

• + some girls i know prefer bald guys, but i don't know any girl who would like a guy with a wig. sorry if it's harsh, but most of the girls here seem to agree

• i wouldn't care, but it seems like a hassle, it's socially acceptable for men to be bald, why not take advantage of that?

What Guys Said 0