Are attractive people really treated better?

I learned in my intro to psych class that attractive people are treated better than unattractive people. Do you think this is true?

Most Helpful Girl

• In some instances, yes. But attractive people are often treated poorly by members of the same sex. So while an attractive female may be let out of a ticket (let's say for something that isn't serious) by a male officer, I believe that a female officer would be more apt to be harsh. That could be for any number of reasons, but just an example.

When I worked at this gym, I once overheard two of my female employees saying that they had told this girl we weren't hiring (even though we were) and I'm sure it was because she was gorgeous and god forbid someone take attention from them. I'm just trying to paint a picture of how it's not ways rainbows for people who are really attractive.

But I would say in general, attractive people, men and women, have it a little easier... Whether it's people being more eager to be helpful or just letting it slide...

What Guys Said 15

• Of course, if other people are attracted to them they generally get treated better... the more people who are attracted to them, the more others will do for them or will 'let go' in terms of letting them get away with more than they should.

• likely yes cause , you know guys or girls when they see someone they find attractive its natural to want to please them and get there attention

• Lets just say if some overweighed not so attractive chick "Hi" me while I have earphones on. I won't bother takin em down

• Oh, absolutely.

When we find someone attractive and like them we're way more likely to be forgiving.

• Yes I think this is true. I try and treat everyone well though.

• Yup all the time.

• Yes. It is true. People like them more. Especially the opposite sex

• More than likely yes, it tends to be animal instinct like a primal desire to mate and all that jazz.

• Yeah, they are.

• Of course.

• sad but true

• Yes I believe so.

• Absolutely, and most attractive people know this. I see all the time at bars, when a hot chick is "appalled" she doesn't get preferential treatment. Good looking dudes get the same special treatment but with a catch...they also have to be polite and nice. If a good looking dudes a dick, his looks don't matter.

• yes true, they treated me better.

What Girls Said 11

• Honestly I do think that attractive people are treated better especially by the opposite sex BUT there's a flip side attractive people are also judged more harshly and people expect more out of them. For instance, if someone is really attractive they tend to get taken advantage of or put down due to girls/guys being jealous of them. Also attractive people are judged as being superficial and shallow. I think its a double edged sword. I had a VERY attractive friend in high school and guys DID NOT treat her right. They treated her like she was a whore :( they had no respect for her because she was beautiful. They would say sexual things to her when they saw her it was kind of gross.

I honestly think that everyone in life goes through good and bad times. Doesn't matter if you're beautiful or average looking you are going to have your highs and lows! It's all how you deal with it.

BUT also I have a very pretty female teacher she's always kind to everybody and she just has a way about her that you can tell she's very sweet and genuinely caring. I don't treat her any different just because she's beautiful. I think it's her personality that makes her a great person.

Basically in the end personality is what matters. And a super attractive person may get "different" treatment sometimes but in the end they also will have "haters" and jealous people after them so its a double edged sword, they go through everything that average people go through and believe it or not... attractive people DO get rejected!

• Yes. If I look like I just fell out of bed and go shopping I get no attention. If I put in some effort and go to the same place I get offered help and random people will strike up a conversation.

• they sure are

• Yes because it is the first impression when you meet strangers. In Korea, they asked people to put their pictures on their resume, and statistical research shows that good looking person tend to get a job easier than others. (so people starts to photoshop their photos on their resumes LOL)

• Yeah they are

• unfortunately

• Definitely true.

• Mostly yes but it the heart that gets the person forever

• It can go both ways. I have been ugly and beautiful. There is a price for being attractive.You won't have many female friends and you get some jerks who only want to get into your pants. Also, you would have to deal with judgmental people who assume you have everything in life so they purposely treat you bad. The grass is always greener on the other side. But generally yes they are treated better.

• I think they do have it easier in life I am an ugly woman.

For me, my life is comfortable because I make good money and I have a secure job. However, I have few friends and I've never had a relationship. People have been telling me since I was 12 years old that I am ugly, including my mother and sister. The first person in fact to ever call me ugly was my sister. She told me to my face when we got in a fight over something that I was just jealous of her because I was so ugly and she was beautiful. Before then, I had never given my looks a second thought.

That was in the summer before I started seventh grade. A few months into seventh grade, I started to get made fun of by my other classmates for being ugly. They barked at me, they called me gross, they made puking noises when I was around. And I was a kid who was very clean and dressed well. So it wasn't as if I just walked around stinking and wearing rags. I went home to my mom crying about it, and she told me that yes it was true. She wasn't going to sugar coat it for me because there was no point if giving me false hope. She said life would be harder for me, but I shouldn't let my looks define who I am. She said I could still live a good life, and perhaps I'd grow into my looks.

So I always lived with some hope that I would grow into my looks, and even though in High School I got made fun of as well, I figured things would be different as an adult. I figured adults wouldn't make fun of me for it. Adults were always nice to me when I was a kid, it was just other kids that were mean to me. And then shortly into my yooung adulthood I realized that I was not going to be one of those kids who grow up from awkward to beautiful. I would always be an ugly woman. I also realized that people would also still be rude to me no matter how old we got.

I've accepted that this if my life. I will likely never get in a relationship, I haven't gone on a date since I was 25. I'm 27, I will be 28 in September.

• I honestly don't know I think they are in a sense, but people say I'm pretty, hot, whatever, and I don't think I get special treatment or whatever.