Anyone surprised in how they turned out physically from being a little kid to high school?

I ask this because I know that I am. My mother is 5'2" and my biological father was 5'4" yet, I'm head and shoulders over them both. Even though I went into high school under 5'0". I'm pretty lean, unlike my brothers or sisters and my voice kinda makes me sound like I still have to go through puberty but that's okay. All in all, I'm pretty pleased. How about you?

Most Helpful Girl

• I am VERY surprised (and happy) with how i turned out! When i was in middle school i was the shortest in my class (4'9 ), i was skinny as hell (76 lbs)! People would always pick on me for being like that, they would call me 'biggy' 'shortie' and stuff like that.

A year before finishing middle school, i suddenly grown and i was even taller than some of the guys in my class, i was 5'6 (that's my height now too). The bad thing is that i was still super skinny (95 lbs), and of course everyone called me a "stick", "skeleton" and so on.

I was the 'ugly friend' ALL the time. No one payed attention to me unless they wanted to say bad words to me. When i would hang out with my girl friends, the guys who would try to seduce them would say stuff like "why are you even here, no one wants you here!" "go eat or something, look at you, you look awful" .

In high school there was a girl who would always look pitifully at me and say stuff like "oh, i would never want to look like you! you look horribly skinny". Now that same girl, is very overweight, so yeah, i guess the karma took care of her!

When i started going to university (at age of 20), i decided to be more positive and happy overall, i changed my hair color (now it's dark blonde), i have no more pimples, and now i wear tight clothes (i weight 110 lbs). It's true that i have small boobs (i don't mind), but i have a pear body shape, so i have a flat stomach and a nice ass with long legs haha~

Now i kid you not, the exact same guys that in the past told me stuff like "why are you even here and so on", complimented me on my looks~

I could say that i was a late bloomer :> ~ It's quite ironic how much we change during such a small amount of time! I hope i haven't bored you that much with my essay :D

• Heck no you didn't bore me. That was an excellent read. Thenk you so much for sharing. I know EXACTLY how you feel and I hope...well I was Gunna say that I hope you do not take those guys seriously when they give you the compliments but sometimes people change, so...maybe you do. That's on you. I hope that you realized how special and unique you were before and that even if it was only one or two that others did as well. You had one heck of a growth spurt. Haha Not bad at all.
      I'm happy also that you are pleased with your body. I hear so many girls talk about small boobs as if that's a bad thing. Personally I like them smaller so from a guy's perspective, you're fine. I also think that you now having a nice butt certainly does not hurt the view. :P
      You seem to have just the right amount of confidence in yourself, which is so cool. So these days are definitely better for you huh? P.S - I bet even back then you were not ugly, not in the least.

• Well if you were here, I would most definitely and happily take a hug or two from you. (Those are actually my favorites). Thenk you for your compliments too! You bore your soul in your explanation and I just wanted to show you how much I appreciated it. (: I had a pretty okay growth spurt. Haha I went into hs under 5'0" and have grown a good few inches since then. Although I'm not as tall as most girls would want me to be. :P I had to learn within myself that I'm made perfectly and my job is to maintain what I already have, not whine about what I don't; you know? You and your boobs. Hehe I bet they're not even that small. Haha Reguardless the discipline that you seem to have regarding your body leads me to believe that it is probably just as astounding as the rest of you. It would be a privaledge to be in your presence. ^_^ Your attitude is amazing. Even if we have down days, you still persevere. THAT is awesome. Do you feel you've helped a lot of people? I imagine you do.

• Haha~ that's nice of you :D ~ to be honest~ handshakes are my favorite for some weird reasons~ Oh trust me~ height is not everything~ i see plenty of guys complaining about height~ to be honest, there are many other stuff a LOT more important than that! Now that i think about it, there was this tall guy who said that he really liked me, unfortunately i didn't liked him back, so i had to politely refuse him. In that certain time i've been crushing on a dude a bit shorter than me~ so yeah~ trust me~ i'm not joking when i say that! I like your thoughts~ Everyone should try to cherish their body and of course, if there are small changes that they can make about it, then great~ but if not, then they should learn to accept it! Thanks a lot! Your attitude seems great too! I don't think i would get bored talking to u if u would meed u! And yeah, I like to believe that i did helped some people! Thanks for MH and for your kind words! :D

What Girls Said 23

• I look like 8 year old me grew a foot. I never got the boobs I was promised in sex ed., and I have very boyish hips.

I'm 5'4, lean, young in the face, and I can still fit in clothes from when I was 8. When I was 8 I looked like I was 4. I'm 20 now and look 14.

I'm not very impressed with how puberty worked for me.

Especially since my 12 year old brothers are hitting puberty now and they can look me in the eye and the doctors say one's on track to hit 6'0 and the other's set to clear 6'5. :P

8 year old me and 20 year old me - the only difference is the height and the hair style. But you can't win 'em all.

• Well I'm taller than all of my sisters and one of my brother's if that helps. Haha As far as looking young, that's totes gunna work out for you in the long run. :P When everyone else is looking forty, you'll be looking mid 20's. Can't beat that. Haha As far as your hips and boobs. Smaller boobs are excellent and as long as you do some squats, your butt will make up for your hips. I'm sure that your physique is much better than you are giving yourself credit for. Ha

• That's me. That was on a particularly good day as far as looks go.

• See? There you go. Support!

• not really tbh. iv never been fat, but at one stage i was overweight. now I'm back to the same weight that i was in the 9th grade. i stopped growing AGES ago lol, but the main thing i would say that did surprise me was when the booty and hips just came out of nowhere haha. it really sparked up some conversation between girls i knew as well:P till now i get called the egyptian Kim K haha, so embarrassing cuz my butt and hips r nowhere near the size of hers, but ahwelll:P

• I was the kid in the back of the class that matured before everyone else. I towered over all of the guys, and I barely had any fat on my body. I think I was MAYBE just 60 pounds in third grade. And when all of the girls in my class wanted long, flowing hair, I cut my hair (which was at my bum at the time) into a short, spiky hair cut. Not to mention that I dyed it purple the next day from my dark brown hair. I eventually grew my hair back out... :)

Now, about to graduate high school in less than a month, I'm a little under 5' tall and SHORTER than all of the guys I used to tower ;). My hair is down to the middle of my back now, dyed black on the top, gradually going to a honey blonde at the ends. I put a little weight on from working out, but I'm still really thin, but my determination and feisty attitude make up for it.

It's crazy looking at my student IDs wondering how I changed so much from a year-to-year basis.

• Wow. I always love your responses, they're very detailed. It's interesting the dynamics that you go through. You went into high school at 5'0", I went in under 5'0". I honestly think that shorter is better but that's just me. Haha was cutting your hair your way of asserting your independence in a way? If so, how did the others take to that? I would agree, although I'm sure you looked fantastic back then (especially with your purple hair) that you look great now. ^_^

• A job at a daycare center, I wouldn't doubt, would be amazing. I get to unleash my inner child. I get along with little kids quite well in that aspect. I do like kids. :)

I've gone every color but green. In October, I had bright, red hair.. resembling that of Haley Williams (Paramore). Since then, I've dyed my hair brown, black, back to a light brown, and now my hair is black on top, with a fade to a blonde color at the tips. Having different colored hair has been my way of "non-conforming." I figure I'm not harming anyone by coloring my hair. So much better than drugs.

My compassion? I wouldn't say it's amazing per se. I try to show affection and understanding towards everyone I possibly can, in hopes that they someday return the favor for someone else.

Thank you very much. I appreciate it :)

• Yeah, it was fun. I learned a lot to. Haha I hope that you do, everyone needs to be more in touch with their inner child. Not childish but childlike. You embracing yours is very cool. How often are you around children?

So that means that you have to go green next huh? 'Nd I know Paramore very well. My fav album of theirs is Riot! But I like the songs "Never Let This Go", "Franklin" and "Whoa" the best. You should post a pic whenever you change your hair so I can see. ^_^ I bet they all bring out different features in you. Like the one in your avatar is great for your eyes. Are you thinking of dying it again?

Well you may not see it as amazing but to me
      It is. When the world seems to be full of people that brush you off or pass by without so much as giving a second glance it's incredible meeting people who tend to treat you as a person rather than a thing. That to me is amazing, which would translate to meaning you are too. (:

hehe Hakuna Matata. I'm glad that you saw this.

• From when I was in grade school till now. . . I'm not super surprised. But I developed an eating disorder throughout high school and that screwed me up for a while physically. Now I've been in recovery for nearly 1.5 years and I have curves and stuff. I'm not what one would call curvy per se but it is SO much better than what I looked like in high school. I have B cups rather than small A's which is awesome for me cuz I thought I would have cleavage-less A cups for forever. I have a bit of a booty. I'm proportioned decently enough. My height doesn't surprise me. I was always about average in height. 5'6 now by the way. What I wasn't expecting was to suffer from such a sucky case of acne that really hasn't gone away yet, even though I'm 19. It is the worst T.T

• From what you described it seems like you're pretty satisfied with where you are now. Which is totally awesome! (: Your avatar shows a very beautiful woman, so I mean; there you go. Haha I'm most impressed with how you overcame your eating disorder. That is amazing. What caused if and how did you get over it?

• What do you mean "more to that"?
      And yeah it was awful. I usually gained about 10-15 pounds when I was in a treatment center for a month, but they always sent me away with instructions to keep gaining. Which I never did ha I just lost it right back again, until that last time when I put my foot down.

• The rest of the message came through later, I saw it now. How many times did you have to go in and out of the treatment center? 'Nd I have to know about how you put your foot down. (: You seem like not the one to mess with when you get in your determined mode. Hehe

• Yeah. In kindergarten, I used to be either the tallest, or the second tallest and biggest girl in class. If some boy bullied a classmate, they usually ran to me and I would challenge this boy lol I was the brute of the class! During puberty, my growth became stunted. Now I'm only 160 cm, pretty average, maybe even slightly on the short side for a girl. I'm even shorter than some teenage girls..

• Whose the brute now? *pushes you* :P

• I majored in biology for a while, but not anymore. Long story... haha But I still love it =)
      Yep, fast learner, I see...

• Haha interestingly enough, I love long stories. ^_^
      Well don't give me any academic praise yet, that was a challenge fit for a novice like me. :P

• Oh yeah... Super surprised. I was a bean pole as a child, and in high school I filled out and ended up with some big old hips on my little frame. It was super weird because my mom always had narrow hips even though she has always been overweight. It's okay I guess.. Having my weight go to my butt and thighs first is better than gaining in my stomach I suppose.

• Haha XD True. Nice butt and thighs, definitely HUGE attributes and it looks like you are pretty proportionate to me which is even sexier. I know that you and especially your bf are pleased. :P Sometimes things like hips and such skip a gen or two. Looks like it came back in time for you. I'm glad that you are happy with it.^_^

• Not really. I am so average in height/weight and my face hasn't changed much at all, to me at least. I sounded like Minnie Mouse for the longest time, super high pitched squeaky voice, luckily that changed cause that could have been annoying, I sound pretty normal now.

I really think I just turned out really average and it doesn't really surprise me at all.

• Well shucks then...why do you say that you're completely "normal"? There have to be some unique things about you.

• My eyes are brown, I never really pay attention to my lips or nose, they're just there, and I have boobs so I guess that's something.

• I like the shape of your eyes and you have nice lips. Very nice lips. 'Nd yes, boobs are definitely something. Hehe

• i've always had this body shape. i stopped growing at age 14, height and weight. i can still wear the skintight non-stretch pants i wore at that age. apparently my looks haven't really changed since then because people i haven't seen in 10-15 years are able to recognize me easily and spot me in a crowd. i didn't know who they were.

• I mean as long as you are healthy then this sounds like a good thing right? You have the fountain of youth in you. Hehe

• i'm not sure because i can't lose or gain weight no matter how i change my diet. i have limitations when it comes to excercise due to heart issues. i would like to lose weight.

• Hmm...have you explored any options on lbs to do that?

• Yeah, my cuteness peaked at age 7. It went all downhill for me after that point.

• Oh get the heck outta here! I'm looking at your avatar right now and see a beautiful woman!

• Awww, that's so sweet! Thank you =]

• Don't mention it. Just message me if you ever get the urge to. (:

• Yeah, it amazes me how the body changes and grows. It is such a beauty process.

• I'm not that surprised. I've pretty much always been tall and slim.

• So it was pretty much written on the wall for you from day one then huh?

• Our duties were just to model the clothes. It took forever to receive my outfit and check in, things were sort of chaotic. 😒 Yes, its commercial acting and that seems to be more lucrative. I'm pretty excited about the new path.😏

• Ah, so it was a bit unorganized. I get it now. Well yeah, on to bigger and better things. What would you most like to get?

• Yep. I was skinny as a kid. I don't mean lean, I mean looked-like-I-was-malnuritioned kinda skinny. I thought I'd be flat as a board for the rest of my life. Then when I was about 15-16, boobs and curves came in and it was like POW. lol

• I thought my boobs were going to be big cause they started growing when I was 9 ish. I'm 16 now and they're quite underdeveloped. Other than that, I'm liking what puberty is doing to my face.

• You still have time, although I have to admit at least for me, small (ish) boobs are a turn on for me. I don't know why and it probably doesn't matter to you anyway. Haha You have a cute face huh? Blessed! I like it when people can look in the mirror and be happy with who they see staring back at them.

• I never thought that small boobs could be a turn on for guys :) i never really heard of it, thank you for informing me of that. :)

• Oh for sure. I mean especially...(okay this might be a little too descriptive) haha But for me, I have fairly large hands, so like, if I'm giving a boob massage I can literally get a better grip and hold on them because I can fit them inside my hands, no problem. XD Besides that it's a pretty classic look, small boobs are just sexy. Haha

• Oh God, yes. I literally cringe when I have to look at pictures of me circa 2006. As ugly as I was, I'm very surprised that I turned out okay.

• Hahaha! Well That's a positive. I imagine that you weren't as bad as you thought though.

• Haha well thank you. :)

• You are exceedingly welcome. I hope that you are enjoying beautiful you. (:

• yes i used to get teased in middle and high school cuz i wasn't as developed as the " prettier" girls...theyre all fat right now and im fine as hell...lol!

• Hahaha XD is that so? Well I'm glad that you have confidence in yourself. When did you start to notice your change?

• They started actually acknowleging my presence..lol! And i was made fun of as much.

• All because your looks changed. Did anyone see you for the beautiful person you were before then?

• My parents are on the shorter side. In fact, at 5'7" I am taller than them and have a way slimmer build than everyone in my family. From high school to now I've actually stayed the same weight. I don't know if that is good or not.

• Very interesting. Well are you a healthy weight?

• No I hate the gym. I just run a lot and swim over the summer.

• Nah forget a gym, the world is a gym. You just have to utilize it. Swimming is actually one of the best workouts and then running is...well running. Haha Proven fit facilitator. So you definitely keep in shape then.

• I've never gotten the curves or the facial beauty that womanhood is supposed to bring. I'm just taller with periods. I can still fit into dresses that I had at 14.

• Nahh I was kind of aware of the whole you'll grow boobs thing so I was kind of expecting it. And the hair in strange places spiel.

• Haha So it was like walking in on a surprise party that you already knew about?

• Not really. I just lost quite a bit of fat between early childhood and high school, other than that I've always looked more or less the same. Obviously, as an infant I didn't have the modest curves I do today...

• Hehe Well loosing the weight is a good thing. Did you grow a lot or was it something to do with your diet. "Modest curves" I imagine that your curves are downright sexy, don't deny it. Haha

• Both, I guess. I went from 5'6" and 150+ pounds to 5'9" and 130-140 pounds. That's quite a change if you ask me.
      About the curves, well, I'm no Kim Kardashian but I know there's SOME definition there.

• Three inches and thirty lbs? That's a huge change! Way to go on the weight loss. Haha Some definition, so I take it your curves are in your booty?

• I've always been slender but my face has changed greatly over the years. Even photos from a few years back I look completely different. I was always the tall one when I was a kid but now unfortunately I am not haha.

• Well you have a pretty eye. Haha Changed completely in a pos or neg way? Well...how tall are you? Ha

• Well I've always been slender but most people just have a rounder face as a child. I just lost it through puberty I guess.

• So it seems like your cheeks just finally caught up with the rest of you. So it was bound to happen. Well then...congrats on your DNA! ^_^

• I haven't grown even a little from 11yo till now (5'2'') LOL but I guess my appearance's changed :)

• 5'2" is a solid height. No shame in that. Besides and I know you said that pic was for motivation but you still look (ed) healthy. So your appearance changed for the better right?

• A little bit eveyone says I look the same !

• I used to be the fat kid in elementary school. Always eating and had a really bad emo phase lol Quiet and very shy. Now I'm loud outgoing in cheer and busting a flat stomach with a nice D cup and a bubble butt (genetics i guess). Pretty pleased but I'm still super short):

• Wow. It sounds like you got some gifts. I think the butt and flat stomach might come from your athletic involvement but maybe it is genetics. I've always wondered how girls with bigger boobs excelled at sports though. Especially with you being a cheerleader and how physical that is.

• Awww thanks haha My face still has some babyness to it but it slimmed it pretty okay (x

• It's pretty amazing is what it is. I REALLY enjoyed it. Haha You grew up very well.

What Guys Said 10

• I grew to the necessary 5 ft 11 in and packed on a few extra pounds so my bullies of elementary school/middle school now found me physically intimidating. Problem was that I found out that I pack on extra weight a little too easily and it's slightly difficult to shed off, oh well, I like how I turned out

• Haha Uh oh. Well all in all you seem happy. That's what matters most. Now to shed those stubborn pounds. XD

• Indeed good sir indeed

• Yes, I'm so very happy. Not that height REALLY matters, but my mom is barely 5'2" and my dad is 5'7", so growing to be 6' and stockier was a very pleasant surprise, especially since I was a short super skinny little kid.

I still joke to this day with my mom that I'm a milkman baby. Ha!

• Haha The Milkman's baby. I'm glad you're happy with it though. I've never been one for height but having most of the features of a tall person makes up for the "lack" of height. You better be nice to us shorties! Ha

• Yeah, I used to be a tall, lanky, skinny kid, and now I'm a 200LB biker.

• Well I was always among the tallest kids in class, I'm 6'2 now. But I did think I would take on my dad's lean structure, he's 6 feet and only 150 at most. Turns out I took on my mom's size, she like 5'10 and I'm guessing like 170. So I am surprised I'm like 190 with a good build, thought I'd be a stick forever lol.

• Yes I was an ugly child.. I'm glad I grew into my features. I had big ears and stuff almost as if my features grew at different rates and later on everything caught up.

• Oh I know the feels! Same here. Big nose, big hears, hands feet, long arms and legs for me.

• I used to be blonde until like the first or second grade. and i used to be kinda on the tall side too until the 7th grade. Now im a 5'9 tall brunette :P

• really? You're a fuckign kitten and you're pushing me? *pushes you back and then run like hell*

• *licks your hand before you push me cause kittens do that shit lol*

• Yeah I was a loser in elementary school and girls called me ugly

• Well that womps. What the heck? I mean, girls did that to me too and I feel your pain...it just makes me kind of mad...

• Did you then break him for revenge?

• Nah, we never even got together because he was too scared to make a move.

• 5"2 in eighth grade and stocky..6'2" sophomore year in high school now 6'3" and lean/built.

• Yeah, I used to be a stick. I'm still a small built type of guy, but grew into my own much more. I seemed to grow a good bit of natural muscle and with my already low body fat, it showed up on its own without me having to exercise or diet.

I go to the gym regularly and diet now, and have only gotten better from my pre-workout days.

• I was a skinny mofo and I am a strong good looking man. I am pleased with how things turned out.

• Well then puberty was your friend. (:

• So it seems like it's mostly a lifestyle that's kept you fit.

• For sure yes. I loved my work and it made me the man I am today. I was lucky enough to have a great job in a great area too.