Does meeting people online really work?

I'm sure all of you like me see advertisements from time to time of some online dating site. I guess I've just been raised to believe people online are generally either unstable or not who they claim to be( think overweight gay man pretending to be hot girl...). However I'm not interested in girls... Show More

Most Helpful Girl

• It works no better than meeting people in real life to be quite honest. If some one is going to be fake, they will be fake regardless. The internet is not required for this to be true. There are advantages and disadvantages to meeting people on the internet. Chances are you will have to take part in a long distance relationship, which has challenges that are unique to long distance, at the same time, however, you have the ability to meet a greater quantity of people over the internet than you do in person. My dad found a person on eharmony that will likely be a lifelong friend (dating didn't work out for some reason o_O) and my in-laws found one another through eharmony as well. My husband and I met through a Harry Potter chatroom. I feel like anything in life is possible if you only give it a chance and approach it with an open mind. Going into things jaded almost always causes problems :-\

• A harry potter chatroom? o_O. How did you guys go about meeting each other in real life? Did one of you just say a place to be and you both went there?

• We were friends for several years before starting an actual relationship. We began our romantic relationship when he was in college and I was in high school. I also happened to be accepted to a college that was in the same state he lived in (by fluke really - I was recruited to play softball there during the summer before we were a couple). I later transferred to his college and finished my degree :3