Is handsome a compliment?

I was just wondering because I've always been called handsome and never anything else and always hated. to me it was always just something you call somebody that is not gooding but a good person to make them feel better. although recently I've found out there are definitions.

so for the guys, do you like being called handsome?

for guys and girls, what is your definition of handsome?

and I apologize if this is in the wrong category.

Most Helpful Girl

• handsome is good looking (:

haha its a good thing when girls call you handsome. that means your really reallly cute, which you kinda are (;

so be proud to be called that, because most guys don't get that kinda compliment.

<3

GAG Video of the Day

GirlsAskGuys on the streets of Chicago!

What Girls Said 5

• Handsome is the male equivalent of "beautiful".

• handsome: good looking

• Ive always used Handsome as a complement... Means good looking or attractive.

• When you say attractive do mean physical, personality or both. some times guys use cute to describe personalty or a good cobination of both. do girls use handsome the way?

• Usually its physical attractiveness or a combination. I wouldn't use it to describe a personality.

• I typed that wrong, I meant good looks or a combination of both

• it most definitely is a compliment. I for one, hate using the word hot, I think it's overrated and overused. I would call a guy handsome

What Guys Said 7

• This is a void in the language.

What we need is a way to compliment a man's physical appearance that would be improper for his mother to use. Handsome is appropriate for his mother to use therefore it lacks the desired emotional punch that you would want from a woman you were sexually interested in.

Think of it this way: the proper word, if said by a guy's mother, should imply incest. It would be scandalous for her to say it, therefore she would not. The word would convey the desired additional meaning is said by a fellow's love interest.

Consider this imperfect example:

What if a woman described her son as "fuckable"?
    Scandslous! Horifying! Right?

Now let a girlfriend say that her man if "fuckable". That's appropriate and desireable. It also expresses the sense of attraction I think you are looking for. We just need a term with this sensibility that was not vulgar. Hmm...

Now that I think about it, I suspect this void in the language is somewhat intentional. I think for women there is a desire to preserve ambiguity and deniability. That sounds about right.

• I think it is.

• handsome is something a mom or grandma would say. unless you're called that when you're all dressed up then that's okay. but for our age I think only being called cute/hot works for us.

• Yeah I agree, but even dressed up I still don't like. you are right though there is difference

• Handsome is absolutely a compliment.

• Yes, I always take that as a compliment and believe it should be. It's basically the male equivalent to "pretty" for a female.

• Does matter age the person is that is calling you handsome and do you get handsome by girls under 28. I was wondering because I am 21 and have never got that from a girl my own age my entire life

• Although I have always avoided girls and there for never had many chances to called handsome or rated in any way

• No, the age doesn't make any difference. Though I don't get quite as flattered when she's in her 70's :P

More from Guys
2