Why are men so afraid of rejection?

I mean seriously, you'd rather ask a kinda ugly girl out instead of a pretty and super cool one, because you're afraid of rejection? Sometimes you have to get over yourselves and stop thinking that girls are 'out of your league'. It's such a guy thing, I've never thought that in my life about guy.

Most Helpful Guy

• Getting turned down hurts. Try it, it sucks.

People say it a numbers game. That's fine and all. If you fall, get up and try again right? But hearing you aren't good enough 99 times before you get that 1 person who will give you a chance really takes a toll on your ego.

Girls like to be looked at, chased after, told they are beautiful and cute. It makes them feel good and boost their ego. They never really have to realize their fears of not being good enough because most of the time they are the ones being chased. Guys have their fears realized every single time they try.

We're tough, we'll get over it, but give us a little slack, its hard.

• This is a great answer.

• "I'll appraoch a guy if I like him. No way id be rejected 99 times- I won't like 99 guys."

That makes it WORSE. Because lets say you only like 5 guys out of 100. Now you have all of this emotional investment in this one person because now if those 5 guys shoot you down, you have to wait till you come across another 100 guys. The rejection is MUCH worse when you like someone than it is if you only slightly care.

• "Getting turned down hurts. Try it, it sucks."

She's a hypocrite who won't be trying anything. Don't even bother to tell her. She criticizes men for no risking rejection, when in reality she could never do it probably

What Guys Said 38

• The girls YOU call 'ugly' with disdain are usually a far better 'deal' and more interesting than the 'cheerleaders'.

Less spoiled, less superficial, less interested in material gain.

I leave the 'cheerleaders' to the football team.

I prefer that girl who's studying at the library.

• Based on the fact that women are far less likely to approach and ask out a guy, I'd argue that women are more afraid of rejection.

• Its not just that they're afraid of rejection. Its also the fact that they think if they ask a guy out than other women will think she's desperate,slut, or a whore.

• because getting rejected hurts... even the toughest guy doesn't like getting shot down. as far as asking out "ugly" girls... I would never ask a girl out if I wasn't at least attracted to her in some way.

• I agree with most of the other posts here so far. Nobody wants rejection. On top of that, you don't have to be "pretty" to be super cool. Guys and girls operate the same way: you're normally only going to a person out if they're showing interest in you. If that "pretty and super cool" girl doesn't show any interest because SHE thinks she's out of your league, then she's not going to get asked out. Whether she's pretty, cool, ugly, boring, obnoxious, it doesn't matter. Even a huge nerd with social anxiety issues will ask a girl out if he likes her and she's nice enough to give him the time of day. Happens all the time and unfortunately guess what? Most of the time the guy gets rejected because "she's out of his league". Sad day for all of you girls who just want a guy that will respect you and be nice to you.

• I think it's easy for you to say but still difficult for the guy. If you are truly interested in a girl, you may really feel badly if you are rejected. The problem may be the reverse. Perhaps girls should do a better job of letting guys know that you are interested. It would help.

More from Guys
33

What Girls Said 7

• Girls are also afraid of rejection, even more so than guys...

• That's ludicrous, it isn't a "guy thing" plenty of girls date below their league. Being intimidated by super attractive people happens to me and I think if a guy has self-confidence issues your "get over it" attitude isn't going to do much.

If you like a guy who goes for girls less attractive than you and you think his only reason for not asking you is low self esteem then give the guy a break and ask him out.

Sorry if it seems harsh I just really disagree.

• Thanks I liked your comment. I think the expectations we put on one another insure a non-relationship. Confusion about who should ask who first or gestures and facial expression that usually don't mean anything but are interpreted as meaning something good or bad. It makes me glad I don't date any more.

• I agree with that. Initiating a relationship is confusing and as nice as it would be if people were straight forward about it all feelings make that option too scary.

• What's wrong with ugly people? Can they not also be 'super cool'?

• For the same reason I am, because they've been rejected. It takes a toll after a while. And some people are really rude when they reject you men & women. I don't think those people have ever had to be rejected in their lives.

• Sometimes girls are just like that too...asking out guys, that are ugly instead of the guy they are really into. Two of my friends are just like that - so annoying to listen to them complaining that the guy they are into doesn't make a move on them...well, if they don't even look at them, it's kinda hard for the guy to notice their interest :S

Just sayin' I have no idea, why people compensate like this.

More from Girls
2