Why a guy asks "what is going on between us?"?

I know this man for a while now as we see each other in different activities. When he found out our offices nearby he invited me out to lunch, we go out to lunches. He "plans" lunches, and asks me if I plan it too, or if he is the only one planning?

He hints things like "I have not seen you a while, it is great now we have seen each other 3times this week", or if I am unavailable for lunch he says "Too bad I won't see you, I will have to manage". I never asked why he says these. Once we ran into each other at the airport, took the same flight! He came and sat with me, very civil, we talked and laughed.

Recently he asked me to go skiing, and we had a good time, with a few drinks afterward. He and I sometimes hug for hi and goodbyes. I am not a touchy, flirty person. He certainly flirts with women around, sweet words, but no touching.

Last time he was walking me out and then he says "I have been meaning to ask you what is going on between us? Are we just friends, good friends?" I was surprised, and said I don't know what is going on. He said "I like spending time with you." I asked "what do you think?" and he says "I asked first". I left it there and said goodnight. I am confused as it came unexpected to me. since he never showed any signs of real interest. well, I am never sure, until someone tells me what they feel, so, to me may be his signs are weak? what do you guys think?