Girls, seriously, if you start giving the cold shoulder to a guy who is interested and then he ignores you?

Why would you go back and start talking to him again and try to get his attention? What is the reasoning behind it? I'm not asking "why a certain girl is doing that?" why do YOU do it? Really, help me out here. You ignore him first, I'm thinking obviously because you don't like all the attention he is giving you and then when he stops giving attention, you go to him. Did you change your mind? You like attention? what?

I talked to her today, very casual, like nothing happened. Big smile on her face and she is short and I just love the way she kinda tilts her head up to look into my eyes with a big smile. I asked her "did you miss talking to me?" She said "sure"
Then I went "im not convinced" and walked away then she said "yes, I would much rather talk to you than not" so yeah, I guess you can call that a point for us guys, why play all these silly games? Just tell the truth, it shall set you free lol.

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• i like when guys give me attention but not constantly where it becomes too much..personally I give the "cold shoulder" to make a guy more challenged and motivated inwanting to win me over. I'm not full out cold I'll glance over and talk if he decides toapproach me... but I'm not friendly where I'm tagged "just a friend"... usually that's whyi stay distant is to stay out of the friend zone.

• That makes a lot of sense. If you are not his friend, you can't be friend zoned, its genius! I guess I shouldn't even be worrying why she isn't "friendly" to me, because probably as soon as she says "you are my friend", then all hope is lost. She has never, ever, called me her friend (she calls others "buddy"), so I guess that's good. We still talk a lot and stuff, but its pretty clear I'm not her friend, but for not being her friend, we talk a hell of a lot, so there should be something there

• exactly. I'm currently going through this with a guy and we don't act like "friends" where we doevery little thing together.. because all romance and thrill would be lost. we have short littleconversations now and then and for the time he doesn't approach me I ignore him to make himwant me more and to seem more mysterious and valuble. no girl wants to appear desperatelol xP I say she definitely likes you and is most likely waiting for you to give her the daily attention she looks fwd to!

What Girls Said 26

• means she just wants the attention you gave her

• I think I had a very similar situation myself so i`d love to talk about how a girl and a guy view such a situation. pls message me if you`d like to discuss it as well.

• when your right there in front of her there's less of a challenge. girls like a challenge, if you still like her, be hard to get now that you've got the lead if ya know what I mean :D

• Haha yeah, she has been trying to talk to me "indirectly" , like making comments on stuff I talk to other people about or laughing at jokes I tell other people and that she overhears somehow, or making faces if I say I like a certain thing (like a gagging kind of face, my friends have seen her) but she hasn't approached me directly, she is a chicken. Should I just keep waiting? Lol, its childish and ridiculous, but she needs a scolding haha

• Show Older
    • its working for ya then :D keep on keepin on :D

• hes between 25-29...games aren't fun anymore, he needs a mature girl who won't play games or want a challenge...its just retarded...i remember graduating high school and thinking to myself "ahh finally, mature women ahead in life" ... then reality hit and I realized I was hanging around the wrong girls...i eventually found a whole bunch who are mature...dont get me wrong no one likes anyone to throw themselves at them but at some point the "games" need to stop...

• Personally, attention kinda bores me once I have it. It's the idea of not being able to obtain his interest that keeps me intrigued because it means it's a challenge, I wouldn't want everything laid out right in front of me because it takes away the the drama and the idea of the unknown. Don't always tell a girl what you're thinking- make her beg for it.

• This is incredibly childish and I hope to never meet anyone like you. What a waste of time!

• Guys do the same annoying thing. It kind of sparks people's interest when they have a challenge, for both sexes. The reverse thing happened with me! Some guy was really interested, and I wasn't. I gave him a chance because he was interested and eventually let him know I was then he gave me the cold shoulder and now I'm super interested and I have no idea why! He's really not my type at all! It's the fact that he did like and now he doesn't, it like draws me to him. It's horrible! But I hate games so I'm blowing him off, and if he tries anything again he can kiss my a**. It's all about the chase. My advice to you, just keep making her chase. She was ignoring you and it sounds like playing games, so let her chase for awhile. A LONG while. Game players deserve it.

• I will admit that I have done this before. The thing is, I honestly don't set out to do it on purpose; I generally end up questioning internally whether or not the guy's intent is genuine, or if he is just looking for a good time. This in turn makes me lose self confidence, and I come across as shutting down or 'going cold' because I simply feel put on the spot and I'm not sure how to respond. By the time I realize that (i) his intent was genuine and (ii) I honestly wish I had said something cleverer in reply, it's a bit too late and he's ignoring me. Which, I am sure you will agree, really sucks. Story of my life!

• Hmm that's pretty honest and insightful. Good to know. But tell me, how can I know the difference between the "unsure" girl and the "not interested" one?

• Show Older
    • @ Icaro: the "unsure" girl will look at you when she thinks you are not looking, and if you happen to catch her looking at you, she will look away. The "uninterested" girl will not look at you at all, whether this is out of pure ignorance of the fact that you are there, or the malicious intent to make it known that she does not want to see you, far less speak to you. You will be able to tell whether or not she is trying to be malicious!

• @OP: I've read your comment here, and your update. Honestly, it sounds like there is a good possibility that she doesn't know what she wants. Acting interested sometimes, keeping away others...I think it would do you some good to take a step back. You've put the ball in her court, and there's no reason to show your entire hand when she's clearly holding out. Let her miss you, now. If she initiates, it's a good sign. If not, you might want to try to put this one behind you.

• themastaplan, I couldn't agree more! these games are for when you're a teenager, surely 'grown-ups' would realize that. If you truly respect and care for someone then you wouldn't be trying to trick them, get one over on them or manipulate their feelings to make them more appealing to you or you to them! If you both actually care for each other then there should be no need to chase them or get them to chase you!Honesty and ability to talk openly without it being used against you in some game to get them to chase you and make your ego feel better is surely more of a recipe for a lasting relatiionship! I for one am sick to death of people 'playing games' people need to grow up!

• I think some women although they know a guy is interested don't feel like he is giving them quite enough of what they want/need so they give him the cold shoulder so that he steps it up a bit but the trouble is as soon as the woman gets what she needs and starts returning the affection it seems to turn the guy off and then we get the cold shoulder, some women see it as a challenge to get back their man some (like me ) would feel rejected and maybe give them the cold shoulder again so that they come back to you (its not what I do but its what I seem to be observing these days) why are these games played? just seems pointless to me!

• Im asking the complete opposite of this! Hahaha I really don't get how a guy could act all interested then the next day wake up and decide he doesn't wanna contact the girl anymore!

• Maybe it's because he assumes that the girl isn't into him and gave up?

• Show Older
    • RIGHT! I feel you on this one!

• ...Problem with us women is that we think that we need to over do it. I... don't lose your strong valuesu THINK you need to overdo something? You recognize it is inappropriate and feel the need to do something you do not think you should do? How can you think this way yet have 'strong valuesNo one should not neglect their life. that's not advice for women.Can you practice saying i, because many people with vaginas do not act absurd because thy like someone. It does not have to control girls or guys

• i don't think she's playing a game, I think she's genuinely confused about how she feels for you. my ex was an ass to me. so I was mad at him, but after a while he softened up and tried harder for me, so not having him AND seeing his softer side is what made me like him again. But he only wants me A. for sex or B. when I'm not interested. So when I liked him again, all he wanted was sex and he hurt me, and left me mad at him again. vicious cycle.

• I think she's not really interested in you but rather in the attention you give her. She must need an ego booster. Which means, she's a very insecure girl and you don't need her ;)

• I ignore him because: 1. I think he doesn't like me and I don't want anyone to now I like him2. I know that if I ignore him he will wonder why, and that is a manipulative, and an effective tool to make him run after you or pay attention to you.I start talking to him again because: 1. I got over the fact that he doesn't care and now I moved on so I don't mind talking to him.2. The ignoring strategy backfired and he is ignoring me too, so suddenly talking to him will confuse him even more reaching the original goal.This applies if the guy flirts with me and I'm not sure what he feels, but I have a crush on him. If I don't have a crush on him, I'll just act normal not bothering with any of these childish and pointless "games".

• So it would be safe to assume that MOST regular functioning females would not bother with these childish games if they were not interested? I know that if I find out a girl I'm not attracted to had a crush on me and I found out about it, I wouldn't really try and get her attention after she stopped talking, but that's me.

• Show Older
    • if you think they are childish and POINTLESS why would you do it at all. even if you like a guy what point is a truly pointless act?

• Even though they originally serve no practical and logical purpose in improving our relationship, they work as an emotional crutch for me, or as a safety net if you will. It helps me shield myself because I'm very shy and introverted. I >know< it's pointless and childish, but I do it since I can't pick up enough courage to do something concrete and mature about my crush. Even if I attempt it I studder and fail. Which brings me right back to this silly behavior I even sometimes do unconsciously.

• I have ignored a guy because I liked him and I did not want to like anyone. I did not want to get too emotional. Or at all emotional. I needed to focus on other things. When I realized, or decided, it was OK to like him. I also realized I might have hurt him. I tried to start talking again. He did talk, but he gave me a hard time about it for a vey long time . Then I stopped just to give him space and he got mad at me for ignoring him, So I started talking then he got mad that I was talking to him. He just made everything vey difficult for way longer than the time I had initially not talked to m for. We went to talk to each other, but he still stayed mad for a long time. But yea, the whole time, I never changed my feelings. Just my opinion of having them and or acting on them.

• Of course if said guy, at ANY time he just asked me about why I did hat I did I certainly would have been entirely honest. I do not like talking about emotional things ,in real life. I assume other people, would not want to as well. I do not want to / I choose not to invade a persons space with it -unless they ask. If hey ask it becomes about them not me, so then I am allowed, It becomes an obligation/purpose - not a personal desire.

• Show Older
    • Thats true. If a girl likes talking to you, she will try to talk to you eventually if you aren't paying attention to her. The thing I like about this particular girl is that we are both very alike and we tend to think the same way. I like her a lot and sometimes I will stop talking to her to see if she starts a conversation with me or says something to me and more often than not, she does. If I didn't like a girl who started ignoring me, I wouldn't even worry about it, I'd feel relieved.

• "Thats true. If a girl likes talking to you, she will try to talk to you eventually if you aren't paying attention to her. "I MEAN MASYBE SHE HAS OTHER THINGS IN HER LIFE KEEPING HER FROM TALKING TO YOU. SHE NMAY BE BUSY WITH WORK OR SCHOOL OR JUST WANT HER OWN SPACE. I DID NOT MEAN 'OTHEER THINGS' WEWRE YOUR BEHAVIOR.sorry bout the caps:)

• Just some insecure girl who likes the attention of a guy that she doesn't really want. She just likes the feeling of someone wanting her. She would probably get a little hurt if he were supposed to get a girl friend and introduced them. Then she would realize that she really effed up and then start throwing herself at him. Then when he starts showing her the attention her insecure behind was looking for, she would give him the cold shoulder again. This is the type of girl who doesn't know what she wants. So he shouldn't waste his time. She is still trying to find herself and really she should be searching for a map to Womanhood (cuz that down right childish behavior). My suggestion Run as fast and as far away as you can.

• The girl is testing him to see whether or not the guy will put up with her bullsh*t. They have to see whether or not you will come crawling to her because she ignores you. Since you didn't, she's upset. And so yes, she also wants the attention, too, I guess. Guys aren't the only ones who like the chase.

• Update: sounds like she told you the truth. will you ask her out, though?

• I've never been in this position, but I might give him the cold shoulder because I've been told that most guys don't want their girl to be too easy.

• Not true. Girls think that. If a guy told you that, he's just telling you that because he thinks you want to hear it.

• Show Older
    • Say what?

• C'mon, you should think for yourself, not just follow what other people tell you. Be your own person girl.

• She likes the attention, not the guy

• Maybe she doesn't know how you really feel about her. Have you made a move and asked her out? The only reason she may be giving you the cold shoulder is because she's getting mixed signals from you. Instead of ignoring her, why don't you tell her how you really feel.

• Dont want to seem all clingy and needy

• oops that was just supposed to read Guys really like a challenge without the no in front lol

• I agree

• most guys shouldn't put up with that. girls like that deserved to be cheated on

• at the strat of a relationship I like to give the guy the cold shoulder purposly to keep him interested and on his feet and also so he will keep contacting me as I don't want to look to clingy. When the guy after a while doesn't contact me I wonder why and then I woudl contact him that's just me anyways :)

• i like the attention and I normally ended up missing him, its all about the chase...i am still in love with my x and it has been back and forth feelings since 7th grade we are freshman in college now

• I don't really think it's anything about a "challenge" or a way to flirt because for me I ignore a guy who is interested in me only when I'm interested in him. See, not every girl knows when a guy likes her, and for some of us, even the guys who pay tons of attention to us might not like us. I'm always afraid of falling for guys who flirt with everyone, so I ignore them because it's safer than putting myself out there. And even for guts who aren't so flirty that I take interest in: I don't want to trick myself into thinking he likes me if he doesn't, so I ignore him. I mean, if he talks to me I definitely respond, but I don't say anything first out of fear for him being annoyed with me.

• Maybe she genuinely doesn't know that you're interested. There are girls who don't pick up on these things, I just happen to be one of them myself. Unless someone blatantly asked me, I'd be clueless as to whether the guy was interested in me or not. It could me that she was weighing the pros & cons to dating you. Or perhaps she wasn't initially attracted to you & now she is. Personally, I usually give guys the cold shoulder if they've done or said something offensive. I'll go cool my jets first before talking to him again. Another reason would be if he's a major flirt & just flirts with everyone or if I found he had a girlfriend & still flirted with me (I really don't guys like that).

• If I like a guy a little too much, I might try to ignore him or avoid the situation entirely. I can be interested, and not shy, but if I have a crush or am incredibly attracted to a guy, I will shy away. Partially because I'm too nervous to know what to say, and partially because I don't want to be painfully obvious and look like a fool. I might ... stumble over my words, give stupid replies, giggle too much, fidget, who knows lol. (When I'm nervous, I'm VERY obvious.) When I've "gone back" it was because I changed my mind in a manner speaking. I went from thinking "this is too risky" to "you only live once".For me, this isn't the case for all guys I'm attracted too. This has only rarely ever happened to me. In each case, it was someone I had drooled over and fantasized about before hand lol.

• Because now that he's calmed down & not all over us, he isn't as annoying.

What Guys Said 7

• Probably...but you gotta think that this girl is trying to manipulate you and seems to be more into game playing than an actual relationship. Do you really want to have a relationship with somebody like that? Games don't stop there, they keep going into the relationship. Do you really want to be with somebody like that? Or do you want to be with somebody who takes her time getting to know you, doesn't play games, enjoys the moment and just goes with the flow?. Women that do this make really sh*tty girlfriends TRUST me.

• Well, I haven't fallen for it. I just made a point of saying that she admitted liking talking to me when she acted like she didn't, so she was just playing hard to get. I'm not gonna ask her out or anything yet, I have to be absolutely conviced that her bull is gonna stop. I'm gonna give her a little more attention and if she starts, I'll just remind her of her little statement there and just ignore her and keep doing it until she grows up, which may be a long way ahead. Thanks for the advice

• You should just call the shots, tell her to stop bullsh*tting and to get serious. Don't be angry but be like this is not going to work for me. Be the MAN take charge.

• the simple answer is girls love attention...they will tell you how annoying it is when you give it but when you stop they are like what the heck...you've put the ball in her court, you've shown that you want to give her attention and possibly more...now you've stopped and she's all like why isn't he contacting me as often and blah blah...girls are crazy like that, seriously tho. I have not met one girl who doesn't like attention...EVEN WHEN THEY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT, deep down they really like it because it gives them something to gossip over...when it stops they wonder why, "is he still intersted?" "is he with another girl" etc...its crazy man, trust me I know and it sucks...but some girls can't get a grasp on what's important in life or what they want...those are the ones who usually end up divorsed and misreable...go after what you want...if they don't want you back then move on...youre between 25-29 its not time for games anymore, its time to be serious...if of course, that's what you want...good luck man, keep your head up, don't fall for the games!

• She is relatively young (20) and I'm 25. What attracted me to her was her maturity (for some things), personality, humor. What I did notice is that she acts exactly like the typical girl in cartoons when she likes the guy but hates the idea, because her whole personality shifts around, we do talk and we do laugh but there's a lot of sarcasm and playful meaness in her comments. I haven't talked to her in a week and she seems a lot more quiet around others. We all have 2 grow up sometime. Thanks man

• Show Older
    • She just wanted you to notice her so she changed up her appearance for you.

• themasterplan, Great answer. I have one question. I'm in the same boat as the question asker. She was all over me (initiating calling me, texting, etc.) Finally after 3 months I told her I liked her. She then started giving me the cold shoulder and is suddenly (really busy). I WANT HER, but I don't want to disrespect myself and completely throw myself at her. She'll probably love it at first but then lose attraction for me (because I was no challenge). How can I catch her & keep her?

• I've never had a girl try to get my attention after ignoring me for obvious reasons whatever they. The most I have ever had would be a girl dressing up sexy trying to attract attention or get me to notice her.

• Speaking of which, I noticed that she went through 4 different hairstyles in a week (right after we stopped talking) she straightened it and she looked very nice, but since I didn't know if it was so I noticed her, I didn't say anything haha, she usually doesn't wear make up either, and I noticed that too, its interesting to say the least.

• Not a clue, but I have noticed the same thing and I'm sick of it lol. Makes me not like a girl anymore if she does that kinda crap to me...

• Girls don't like when the guys are too easy. They then believe that guys think the exact same way.

• When she starts to realize that you don't really care about her anymore it makes her wonder if she made a mistake & some girls seem to think your always going to be there no matter what she does. Don't ever give in to a girl like that because you will regret it unless you only want a short time fling with her. You have to have zero tolerance when it comes to women who mess with your head or play games because they never stop & relationships with them never work, ever..

• She probably likes someone else better. After getting with them & getting dumped or it not working out, she'll come to you. So in other words your just their back-up, second choice. In most cases