Still a virgin, am I too old?

I know everyone always says that you should wait until you are ready, and I guess that's true, but I'm 16 and still a virgin. I've made out and done a few other things, but never vaginal intercourse. All of my friends have already had sex and I feel like I'm really missing out, or I should have already had it. I am too old to still be a virgin?

Well I had sex for the first time back in February with a guy I have been friends with for about four years. I didn't feel any pressure whatsoever, things were great and we've been dating ever since. All the advice made me feel a lot better though. Thanks

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I hope that listening to all these answers has given you the confidence to go on being a virgin. When you find the person you think is right, you will know that you want to be with them. I'll put it another way, 14 or 15 or even younger may be the average age to lose your virginity but do you really want to be just average? Strive for something above average. Being a virgin is something you will only have once in your life. Don't waste it, on just some guy, and just because everyone else is doing it, it should be something special.By the way this is the first question I've seen with this many answers, this many people took the time to reach out to you, because they think it's important for you to know being a virgin at 16 is not something to stress over. Everyone who answered basically said its something you should cherish not something to be just handed over. I truly hope you are paying attention. Stay strong, being a virgin is not something to be ashamed of, not something you should want to get rid of.

• Tammy--awesome answer--I too hope she listens and doesn't give in to pressure.

• Thanks, I have a 15 year old daughter so I just thought about how I would answer if it were my kid asking.

What Guys Said 10

• Not that you should base your life on celebrities' actions, but Adriana Lima told GQ magazine that she is a devoted Catholic and a virgin. Sex is for after marriage," she says. "They have to respect that this is my choice. If there's no respect, that means they don't want me." And I'm pretty sure she's cooler than your friends. Don't let people pressure you into doing things you aren't comfortable with. As tammymac noted, a lot of people have responded - clearly not everybody thinks you're too old. Keep your head up and know that a lot of people think you're doing the right thing.

• No you're not too young to still be a 16 year old virgin, I didn't lose mine until 19 so don't feel bad about it, you'll know when the time is right.

• Heck no.i'm 20 and am still a virgin, I've never even kissed a girl. So don't give in to any pressure, now or ever.

• KEEP YOUR VIRGINITY! you are rare. I put it like this, After I lost mine under the same circumstances as you. When it was over I said "THIS COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER! THIS COULD HAVE BEEN SPECIAL! I FEEL CHEATED!" When you meet that someone special or your spouse, YOU DO IT ALL THE TIME!! You got the rest of your life!

• When 16 is too old to be a virgin, we're all in trouble.

• Too old? No way. What are you talking about?!

• Definitely don't bow to pressure. You do it when you are really sure that you want to, but make sure the desire really comes from yourself and not your boyfriend. If he can't respect where you are, then lose him fast.

• No!Wow! A 16-year-old asking if she's too old to be a virgin...That says something about today's society.Then again, it's kind of hypocritical of me to say that. I'm around your age and I'm not a virgin, one thing I know is that I constantly question what would have happened if I waited. Id like to say I don't regret it, but sometimes I do. Regardless, it's like everything else in life and part of it makes you who you are in one way or another.

• If it makes you feel any better I'm 16 and I haven't had sex yet either. and I agree with Dr.Gene.

• You are never too old to be a virgin. Sex isn't the answer to anything other than continuing the population and we have plenty of people already. The longer you can hold out the more certain you will be that the relationship you do have eventually will not disappoint you. Be patient and don't worry about what your friends say or do.. Be You!

What Girls Said 24

• OH my your like 16. There is plenty of time.

• I was like you--I fooled around until I was 20 *gasp* and had sex with a man I was engaged to. We never married, (I married at 35), because we were still growing and knowing ourselves, but I didn't regret it because the person cared a great deal about me. I was glad I waited. My hubby was even older than me-- we were able to make wiser, more adult decisions because we waited. If anyone tries to pressure you or make you feel bad, they are probably just jealous and don't care about you! Wait for the right person--and be proud!

• I agree with Dr-Gene-, you're never too old to be a virgin and don't feel pressured to lose your virginity just because your friends have already lost theirs.

• I don't know what the world has come to when a 16 year old says that.! Of course it's completely fine for you to be a virgin at that age. Are you serious?! What kind of friends have you been hanging around. I think that you should do it when you are completely ready and comfortable with it, with someone that you love. Now if that is like in your 20s, 30s, 40s, after or before marriage it doesn't matter as long as you are mental and emotionally willing to do it. Until then, don't worry about it at all! I totally agree with what stanley said too. If some gorgeous model can have those high standards then you can too.

• Holy cow, that kind of question makes me feel old. I was 19 when I lost mine, and I regret doing it even then, because I did it because I just didn't want to be a virgin. And really - it's not that special unless it's with someone you really care about, and who really cares about you (I'm not saying marriage, necessarily, just don't have sex for the sake of having sex. Have it because you really want a deeper connection/the next level with the guy.).

• 16 isn't too old to be a virgin, not at all.I'm 18 and I just recently lost mine.My friend was 20 when she lost hers.You shouldn't feel like your missing out on anything, once you found that special someone you can have has much as you want.Just because your friends have had sex already they shouldn't make you feel like you have to. All it is, is peer pressure.Plus once you find the right man, he will respect you for waiting. The longer you wait for that special someone the better you will feel in the long run.

• Your still way young are you serious? Girl wait as long as you can and trust me I am 20 and 8 months pregnant your not missing much.... wait until it is the right time for you and wait for the RIGHT person or you will always regret it. you have so much time do not listen to anyone else on this or what they think about losing it now because in the end it is your choice and in the end only you have to face you and live with it choose wisely...

• For me I say wait till you are married because if you do it with some loser he might break up with you the next day. You are never too old to be a virgin just because your friends are doing it doesn't mean you have to and if he says he used protection and he didn't you could end up pregnant. Even if they say I love you, it doesn't mean anything until he says I do but be careful and make the right decisions, good luck.

• No way. Are you crazy? If your friends have something to say about you saving yourself for the right moment or man, then they aren't really friends at all. Are they pressuring you? You need to get away if they are. I had sex when I was 14 and look at me now. I'm 18 with a son. Yeah so take your time sweetie. You will know when the right time is for you. No one else. Good luck.

• No, they're not pressuring me, I just feel pretty left out. I'm the only virgin left out of almost everyone I know. But thank you for the advice.

• No hon ok I did it too early and now I wish I would have waited. Ok so don't do something you don't want to do; it's not worth your time. I promise

• Stay that way! Some of your friends may tease you but in the end a guy wants a new girl. They may say they like the experienced type but they all know they want someone who is fresh, not used. My grandpa always says: "Get with any girl, it doesn't matter. But don't touch the one you truly love." I believe men work that way. Its not for me to say, but don't fall into peer pressure.

• I agree with the other 3 comments. I'm 16 and still a virgin and I plan on keeping it that way. Don't have sex 4 the sake of having sex, it's not worth it. I've found guys give me more respect for the fact I won't give myself to just anybody!

• Believe me having sex is not a good thing I lost my virginity about two days now and I'm the same age as you are and let me tell you something I feel like crap even though my b.f says he's not going to leave me and that I'm a big part of his life and a lot of more things but now my self esteem feels low and although your question was already answered now I feel like I need help!

• Hey I am glad to here that everything is going good! It is always nice when things start going your way! Hope everything stays awesome with you and this guy! Good Luck!

• Hell no you are not to old. I am the same age as you and I wish so badly that I was a virgin still. Sex just messes everything up especially when you are young. You're a virgin so what?, don't let any of your friends or anyone at all try to make you feel bad about it. I wish I hadn't let my friends pull that on me, now I know better and I don't let what anyone says affect what I don't want to do. My advice it keep it for as long as you can, Do NOT do anything that you are not absolutely ready for.

• I had sex for the first time a few months ago (I am 19, btw), and it was AWFUL! I mean, downright shitty. It was a one night stand, and I was basically thinking the same things you were. Most of my friends have already done it, and I was like "well, why not." The guy didn't give two shits about me, for sure, and I felt like a blow up doll the whole time. And what's worse, I felt like my virginity was something of an "upper hand", and I was so mad at myself when I realized I completely lost that. You will feel much better if you have wait for someone you can at least be with for a bit. Your first time is most probably going to be not the best you'll ever have, and it's nice to be able to give it another go with the same guy, knowing he's crazy about you and WANTS to make you feel good, instead of just his own self-gratification.I'm in shock that 16 year olds now think they're "too old" to be virgins.

• Ok sweetie let me tell you this I lost my virginity at 15. I got pregnant at 15 if you can wait then do it, wait until you fall in love with someone and then if it is right then it will be right ,.

• I lost mine about 6 months ago now. We've split up and I loved him!! It's an emotional thing so make sure you can deal with all that before rushing ahead and just doing it.

• No, you are not to old. I'm 19 years old and I am a virgin. People respect me for it...I don't hang out w/ a lot of girls and the guys I hang out with love me because of the fact that I am...although they threaten every boyfriend that I have. I am a virgin because I want to wait on that "special someone", I mean yes, I've done pretty much everything but sex and it was, dare I say fun, but sex should be savored for that "special person" like it was stated before.It is not only physical but it is emotional as well. That person will always be in your mind because he took something of yours that has be cherished probably longer than anything else in your life. But what I'm getting out is don't think that you're too old to be a virgin...the longer you wait the better, like I said, a lot of people respect me because of it.

• I'm 16 and I haven't even been kissed yet!

• I hope you read the rest of the answers this girl got 14 or 15 or even younger may be the average age to lose your virginity but do you really want to be just average? Strive for something above average.

• I think that you should wait. Don't do this because of the pressure and because you want to be like others. You should wait until the moment is perfect and with the perfect person. It doesn't matter if you will have to wait some years to do this, when you have that perfect person it will be more special and you would never regret it.

• You have your whole life to have sex. I had sex when I was 15 and I almost feel like I was too young!

• Coming from someone who knows wait till you are really in love or it won't be worth it. Guys want it because they want to be a "man" or are horny. Girls need more if you don't have a connection it won't be as good as it could be with someone you care about.

• HELL NO YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD, MY GOD!