How to politely turn down a guy?

What's a polite way to reject someone when they ask you for your number? I'm a really, nice friendly person, so saying anything mean or negative is really hard to come by. I'm meeting these guys at singles events, so I can't say, "sorry, I have a boyfriend." Trying to find the right line, cause... Show More

Most Helpful Guy

• wow I'd penned down an entire answer and it got erased thanks to the connection breaking off. OK here goes again.

Your very saying that 'you feel bad and end up giving them my number' is a sign of weakness not politeness. Weakness is something that will make every man (one who knows to read another's psychology) go in for the kill.

Lying is not necessary to be polite.

You can say various things such as:

1. Why don't you give me your number and allow me to call you when I can and be comfortable - If chivalry is not dead in that man he'll accept that

2. "here is my email address instead" why don't you mail me sometime". (create another email addreess for such situations - that way you aren't lying)

3. Listen to what MrOracle has said too

4. "Why don't we see if we meet up at more such occassions and get to know each other here"

All the above are quite polite and show assertiveness from you without displaying weakness.